1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Leaving headlights on

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jared2, Dec 13, 2005.

1. rogerSC

rogerSC Member

Okay, I'm going out on a limb here. My memory of this is that it is fine to have your headlights on any time you want in California. I believe that it is not okay to have just your "running lights" (the smaller yellow lights) on without your headlights. The theory there is that if it is dark enough to require lights, then you should have your headlights on (as well as your running lights, if you wish).

This is just from memory, can't site the vehicle code for this. And it may have changed, I supposed.

-Roger

2. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You are confusing Daytime Running Lights (most often headlights burning at lower intensity) with parking lights. You are correct as to the latter:

Also, take a look at this CHP page:

3. TorontoSusan

TorontoSusan New Member

GreenMachine. I had to look it up (dammit) so I answered my own question. The daytime running lights run at reduced intensity, and I notice in my manual that it's offered "on some models" which I guess is the Cdn version.

The headlights turn on at reduced intensity when the parking brake is released with the hybrid system started, even withthe light switch in the OFF position.

I still have to turn on the 'regular' lights (which come on automatically).

Oh, well, I learned something new (again).

4. GreenMachine

GreenMachine New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

Thanks for taking the time to check that out. Wish we had that option in the US as I like to leave my headlights on during the day.

5. nwprius

nwprius Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Daylight Running Lights do not include the the tail lights. Many people think they are safe with the DRL's on in low visibility but they are not. This week has been very foggy here and many cars with just their DRL's on have been very near invisible from behind. VERY dangerous.

6. BrianTheDog

BrianTheDog New Member

I'm just curious what kind of power is drained if the headlights aren't actually burning, but the switch is left in the "on" position.

Does it make the ECU think harder?? ;)

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    probably the drain to run the light sensor?

nwprius, yeah. I've noticed a number of people running without their taillights on. The thing is, cars nowadays are coming with electronic gauges which are illuminated brightly. The problem is, those used to the old "if my gauges are light, my lights are on" feature, will think their lights are on (helped by the fact the DRLs are on) and forget to turn on the lights at night.

It's kinda dumb but I like DRLs. It is much easier to see a car with the lights on. However, I think Chrysler and GM's method of using bright orange parking lights (or indicators) as DRLs are probably better since people will know when their headlights aren't on.

8. Roger3125

Roger3125 New Member

Correct me if I'm wrong but weren't all cars in the US made after 2005 suppose to have daytime running lights? I have an 2006 Prius, Pkg 3 and I don't have daytime running lights. Was I ripped off or did I overlook something very obvious?

9. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    They are required in canada and have been for some time. They are not required in the U. S. but some manufacturers have included them (G. M. for example) Toyota has not. Fortunately the auto off feature works well and the HID lights, as previously stated, only use a 100 Watts or so and that includes both headlight bulbs and all the other lights that come on with them.

Edit: It might to be of interest to note that DRLs seem to do the most good, just like eye level brake lights, when the requirement is first introduced. Within a year or so people are accustomed to seeing them and their value diminishes. One of the main arguments in favor seems to be that since a lot of cars have them the cars without them don't show up as well.

Edit to my edit: If you have any interest check this out.

http://www.lightsout.org/story.html

10. gjertsen

gjertsen Junior Member

How funny this should come up today... last night a cop pulled me over as I left the gas station (first fill up) because I didn't have my headlights on. Okay, so maybe he just wanted to see the Prius. Anyway, just got a warning (whew!)

Following this thread, I would be open to leaving my headlights on all the time, except for the fact that it dims the MFD and the other display. It is usually so sunny here in Florida that it would be hard to see them in the daylight, or wearing shades.

11. QED

QED New Member

If you turn the dash illumination all the way up (past the detent), the MFD and dash will return to full brightness.

12. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I don't have HID's and have left the Halogen headlights on since day one. The only downside is that I had to replace both after almost two years. Left at 20 months and right a 22 months.

13. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

I leave my headlights on al the time. I always have, even before DRLs became all the rage. Not sure why I started, but I've been doing it for a deacade and a half now.

14. ml194152

ml194152 Member

Having your headlights on during the day (in clear visibilty conditions) greatly increases the annoyance factor for us other drivers on the road. Don't do it, people!

15. landstander

landstander darling no baka

A place where the nuts hunt the squirrels
    Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Why? It's not like the headlights are particularly blinding at high noon... :huh:

16. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    If the headlights are on dim and are aimed correctly it is no problem. When they shine in your face and people leave them on bright (because they don't know what the little blue light is) it can be distracting. This is, of course, worse at night but on dark cloudy days it is a problem.

17. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I don't agree with this article. I think DRL helps in suburban traffic. The effect might diminish over time but I still think it helps. Driving in suburban boston with car parked on the street it's sometimes hard to make out if a car is moving towards you or not. I've had cars that my mind thought where "parked on the side of the road" cross my path (making a left turn) and suprising me. Truth be told it's never been really close but I've never been suprised by a stopped car with it's headlight on (even when they don't use the blinkers). So yeah having my headlights on should make other drivers see me more and I like when people see me (comes from riding a motorcycle). So I've come to my own conclusion that DRL helps even here in good ol' US ambient light or not. It's also funy how upset people are over having to use them, why do people car so much? I've been using DRL manually on my Maxima for 8 years and I've had exactly one head light wear out.

anyway my $.02. I plan to use the AUTO switch in the prius and leave my lights on all the time. It makes me feel safer.

18. SomervillePrius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    What? Are you seriously being annoyed by head lights during the day? I've never had them annoy me during the day. I'm not talking about full light (you know that blue idiot light) but just the same half light we normally use at night.

At night many lights are annoying and I'm happy my Prius will have an automatic diming rearview mirror

19. Kiloran

Kiloran New Member

I have to agree with most of the article's points.
    However, they refer to specific information but only provide links to organizations rather than the actual information from those sources supporting their case.

Barring credible citations to the contrary, I'm inclined to believe in their veracity.

IMO, the main attraction of DRLs lies in their "conspicuous consumption" facet.

20. SomervillePrius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Looking into this a bit further (hey! I'm bored). I'm actually changing my mind a bit. I think the clear evidience that DRL saves life has been cast in doubt. So no I'm not so sure about the advavtage or disadvatage of using DRL. It might be that the environmental impact is more important. I do not know. For now I think I will leave them on (I feel safer that way) but I'm less convinced.