1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

LED Bulbs for my 2008

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by N3FOL, Nov 25, 2009.

1. sunstarfire

sunstarfire New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    *lol* Thought so :) Google Translations rule! Yeah, I looked for a red one, although mine's blue, but anyway.

I might go for those. I just failed at my rear camera project, it seems. So I will need to save some money now.

2. talonts

talonts VFAQman

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you don't have fogs, then the slickest install would be to buy the factory grilles from a fog light equipped Prius from a boneyard, then either also buy the factory fogs, or aftermarket, and mount them in the holes for the fogs. Then wire them to come on when in Ready mode.

Note: check your state laws on lights - some states don't allow "fog lights" to be on all the time, they have to be hooked into the headlight circuit. If that is the case, do not use the factory fogs, or even aftermarket, wire up some LED panels of some type, so it's obvious you are not using fog lights.

3. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

I just did a reverse translation my self, either I can not spell "Happen", or there is no correct word in German for it.
    Funny, I took 3 years of German in High School, and the only time I spent in Germany was about 13 hours passing though from the 84 Sarajevo Olympics back to the USA.
    Did manage to drive 60 klicks on the Autobahn, from the Munich Airport at 9pm to whatever closest city had a VACANT Hotel room for me and my 3 partners from ABC-TV that night. Drove the 60 klicks right back to the airport for a 11am flight.
    That poor VW was going as fast as I could floor it!!!:D

I really like the LED bar look, I was going to blow it off, but the more I see it, the better I like it. This project just might get off the ground!
    Could you do one more pic with the led bars in the center of the lower grill next to the lamps, instead of the top or bottom slot next to the driving lamps??? That is the place I was considering...a symmetry thing I guess. I always do a mockup of most projects that have to look GOOD!!!

Auf Wiedersehen und Danke mein Freund!

4. bagwell

bagwell Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    this it??

but as I said before - I haven't seen any Audi-like brightness LEDs...have you?

Attached Files:

5. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Hey thanks, that is exactly what I was looking for, OK project now feasable, looks good, actually perfect (for me anyway) now to do some homework. there is a auction now on eBay ..URL
    Mercedes LED Daytime Running Lights SLK CLS CLK AMG #79 : eBay Motors (item 140369137347 end time Feb-19-10 16:06:36 PST)

This set is about the right size, but no intensity specs that I can see, or color temp info.

But I want to get some specs. How many Candle Power / Lumins are recommended for DRL's, what would too bright be. What are the Audi specs.. having owned a Quattro in '84 I can imagine just buying the Audi lamps would be ridiculously priced, and not worth it.
    I just read a post somewhere around here that had guidelines with this kind of data..gotta go do a search...

Then there is this URL .
    iJDMTOY High Power Wattage LED Festoon Wedge Bulbs

They have quite a selection, but not a lot of specifics... "Superbrite" is not a value....it's an adjective!!

I also want to take a visit to see an Audi, just to see what they got going!!!
    I am just getting started...
    More to come!!

6. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

OK, I get the idea of these strips, they are approx 15 inches in legnth, fexible and have 10 LEDS and a ECU to do the current limiting.
    While nice and bright, I a thinking of something about 9 inches long, max. The available space between the driving lamps is aprox 36 inches, so 2 of these strips would almost comepletly fill that area.
    But I like the fact it has a ECU, and is BRIGHT!!!

They are out there, they can not hide, we wil find the right LED assembly!!!

I a kind of leaning towards this set.. URL
    http://store.ijdmtoy.com/Hella-Style-LED-Daytime-Running-Lights-Driving-DRL-p/led_ddl_sku78.htm

9" wide 1.25 high nd 35 deep a paper cutout looks to be about the right porportion on the front grill. $149 for the set...maybe

7. sunstarfire

sunstarfire New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, the legendary Autobahn. Strangely enough, I like to drive fast, and a friend of mine owns an AMG SL 55.... 292km/h was the most I had it to, but that's really more stress than fun. But, you wanna know the fuel consumption of that thing? ^^

take care ;)

8. bagwell

bagwell Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
  9. N3FOL

N3FOL Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    What did you say again?:D

10. N3FOL

N3FOL Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I installed Amber ...HP5s on the front and ...HP9s on the red running light...much brighter:). It sure lights up the rear with Red.

Anyway, does anyone know how to get to the rear license plate lamps? Any tips is appreciated.

11. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    amber for the parking lights?

Yeah they do light up the rear end!

See that HUGE black plastic cover on the inside of the rear hatch? Yeah pull that one off. THere are 11 clips holding it so it's gonna be a tough fight =)

12. sunstarfire

sunstarfire New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Something like:

Hey, that's what I'm talking about! I like the way you did that.... that gives me further motivation to make this happen, thanks a lot!

I also like your taste in the choice of color.

^^

13. boppo

boppo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi Guys,
    I took out the vanity assemblies to put LED"S in. My first problem was to figure how to get them out. I did finally get them out but on one side there is a spring like latch which is now kinda messed up. I can't figure out what it should look like to snap the assembly back in to the head liner. I tried to bend it but now when I put it back it will not fit tight to the liner. Any one have any pics or advice to help me get them back in right.
    Thanks

14. sunstarfire

sunstarfire New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The ones in front of the visors??? Weird, I found them to fit pretty easy... I will make a couple pics one of these days.

15. boppo

boppo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That's the ones, the flat spring on one side of the assembly is bent and I need to see what it looks like before.
    Thanks

16. krb2007

krb2007 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Leds in Front Amber Lights

I read that the amber leds did not work well in the front amber lights due to the color offset caused by the amber lens. Has anyone tried the white 9 light leds?

17. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    your first post
    welcome

18. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No, but since you have thought of it I ordered 2- 5 LED White bulbs today!!!
    I will let you know how they work!
    Thanks for the thought!!

Welcome to da Group!!!

19. Manksgloob

Manksgloob Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I bought these for my front side markers and thought they were quite pretty...:D

2 V-LEDS AMBER 194 13 LED LIGHT BULBS 158 168 2825

I suppose this means I have to take a picture or video to prove it though, huh? I guess I can do that...some...time...