1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

LED Bulbs for my 2008

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by N3FOL, Nov 25, 2009.

1. boppo

boppo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes would like to see some pic of them.
    Thanks

2. N3FOL

N3FOL Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Use a small screwdriver (flathead) and carefully pry off the corners. Usually one corner will do it and it will fall open just don't force it if it wouldn't move....try the other corner. :cool:

3. N3FOL

N3FOL Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    No on the amber. I plan to change the license tag lights to LED. So your saying to remove that huge plastic cover on the hatch from the inside? Sounds complicated to simply install small bulbs...:eek:

4. N3FOL

N3FOL Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Re: Leds in Front Amber Lights

You are better off ordering Amber LEDs with the amber lens. The result will be much brighter real deep amber color.

5. N3FOL

N3FOL Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I installed the 9 LED for the rear and went for the 5 LED for the front. I do love those LEDs...just want to figure out an easy way to get to those license tag bulbs for replacement.

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yup, that's why for the Gen 3, they gave us little access panels for the licence plate lights so that we don't have to take out the entire plastic cover. (Take a look at your 2010 Blue Ribbon).

Just make sure to snap all the pins back when you re-install the plastic cover. You wouldn't want the cover to come down when you're using the interior grab handle to close the hatch!

P.S. Has anyone figured out how to install LED indicators/turn signals on the 2010? I've read about the load resistor for the Gen 2 but haven't heard if there's one that'll work for the Gen 3 (plus which bulb). Any comments would be appreciated! TIA!

7. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Well that's what I also thought, until tonight. I bought the top 4 ideas. A OEM 194 bulb, a Autoillumination 9 LED Amber bulb, a Autoillumination 9 LED White bulb, and a WLED WHP5 from superbrightleds.com. Here are shots of all 4 bulbs, look and decide yourself.. Very cloudy day, sunset, camera on automatic, with tripod!

[​IMG]

Standard 194 bulb. Approx 3200 K 25 lumins, 3 watts

[​IMG]

9 Amber LED Autoillumination bulb, Approx 595 K, ? ma. I draw

[​IMG]

9 White LED Autoillumination bulb Approx 5600 K ? ma. I draw

[​IMG]

WLED-WHP5 superbrightleds.com. Approx 5500 K 35 ma. draw 75000mcd, Approximate luminous flux: 942 lumens.
    They also make a 9 LED Bulb 35 ma. draw that has Approximate luminous flux: 1,884 lumens
    As a point of reference, a standard 100W light bulb typically is rated at around 1,700 lumens.

Note that supebright has a note on the package DO NOT install in headamp housings, unit will fail at 185 degrees...we will see!!!

Hopefully these pics show the relatve brightness of the bulbs compared to each other. I personally like the WHP5, it is the bightest. We will see how long it lasts!!! The Orange 9 LED was a bit more true in color, but much dimmer.

1 person likes this.
  8. Goolash

Goolash Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, so I'm interested in trying this, but would like to make sure I have this all straight: 1) LEDs are more energy efficient and brighter than the replaced incandescents. 2) Because of the energy efficiency, the stock flasher module causes them to flash too rapidly, since it is expecting a higher resistance in the oscillator circuit. 3) Using a load resistor will destroy the admittedly small increase in energy efficiency, and also possibly create un-needed waste heat near the circuitry. 4) A flasher module from superbrightleds is a drop-in replacement for the stock module, and eliminates the need for a load resistor. 5) The other constant-on lights, do not require load resistors, and the reduction in load will not cause an excessive current issue.

9. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds about right to me.

10. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    By George, I think he's got it!!!

11. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius

Great shots! Thank you very much! :)

I think the shots are successful not only because the camera was on a tripod, but also the framing is set such that the LEDs are off center and occupy only a small area of the image frame. This minimizes the effect of the varying LEDs on the auto exposure. Very clever! :thumb:

1 person likes this.
  12. HI MPG

HI MPG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

I have a Gen III and installed the white WHP5's for the parking lights (above headlights) and above the license frame. I also took a chance of having them fail. Was driving home the other day and idled behind a truck, saw that my left side parking light was flickering a bit. When I got home, I check the bulb and saw that one of the SMD panels failed to light up. I immediately went to check out the ones above my license plate, and the same thing happened to the left side bulb. The other SMDs on the bulb still work, so they are still plenty bright... but one of these days I'm sure they will all give out. I'm now on the hunt for LEDs that can withstand the temps and constant on application.

1 person likes this.
  13. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

I was wondering about that, try the Autoillumination.com 9 LED White bulbs, they run cooler, and if my set of WLED5's go, I already have a backup set on hand. They were just a tad bit dimmer, but a real close match!!!

Thanks for the heads up, I will keep an eye on mine!!!

1 person likes this.
  14. HI MPG

HI MPG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thank you for the recommendation. I still have a set of the traditional 5 diode LEDs, but as you know and tested, they do not light up as brightly. If the WHP5s fail completely, I have those as backup.

15. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

This is the one from superbrightleds?? Hmm... maybe I should check mine. I know my red ones were flickering due to cold temps (only one). The others worked fine even in -20°C

16. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

According to the specs, you still had another -10°C to go....B'rrrr

WLED-xHP5

Operating Temperature Range: -30°Cto+85°C ---
    Storage Temperature Range: -40°C to +100°C --- Up to 40,000 hour life span WLED-WHP5 White
    9~14.5 VOLT
    35MA
    15000 MCD

1 person likes this.
  17. HI MPG

HI MPG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Yup, these are the ones from superbrightleds. I was a bit disappointed when it happened, but then again, they did warn against using them within enclosed confines.

I can't even begin to imagine how cold that is... guess I'm spoiled by sunny So. Cal. :)

18. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey, HI_MPG...

HINT...-30°C = -22°F 0°C = 32°F

It's the other reason I left Wisconsin:D

19. HI MPG

HI MPG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yeah, I left Illinois a long time ago (when the only wheels getting me around was my bicycle) and haven't missed the cold, snowy winters since... although I did enjoy the changing of the colors during autumn. Nowadays, if I want snow and cold, I just drive up to Mammoth.

Back to topic, how is your search coming along with the LED light bar? I was also thinking about adding that Audi LED running light look to mine but am still undecided about it. My wife already thinks I'm obsessed for changing all the interiors lights to LED in both of our Prii. Obviously she isn't as car-crazed as I am...

20. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I found a nice set here,

New!!! Xenon White Hella Style High Power LEDayLine LED Daytime Running Light (DRL) Kit

They will fit next to the Driving Lights, are quite bright, I just have to remove the lower grill and cut a couple of slots into it to mount the assemblies.
    I am waiting for A-Warmer weather, and B, a weekend without rain.....I have plugged them in, they are quite bright and will drop to half brightness if you apply +12 to the accessory wire. I think they will do the trick!!!
    Pics when it happens!!