1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

LED bulbs

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Superdrol, Apr 16, 2013.

1. Bullet Salvador

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I second that. I bet the glass bulb from JDMtoy will use the reflective housing. I might pull the trigger in a few and will post back.

2. Bullet Salvador

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Sometimes the full JDM kit goes on sale. I got mine for $55 flat versus $90. Just watch out for it on EBay, but more likely than not I just got lucky.

3. ...

... Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    With a little patients and some some guts to slightly modify your reverse socket base, you can do what I did.

I know it's a bit for the bulbs, but it is worth it IMO. I know I have a Gen II, but believe the Gen III still has the 7440 bulbs also. Oh, keep in mind that the below picture is with the flash "on".

V3 TRITON 6K WHITE LED DRL DAYTIME RUNNING LIGHT REVERSE LIGHT SYSTEM | 1 PAIR

[​IMG]

Bullet Salvador likes this.
  4. Superdrol

Superdrol Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Can you change the glove compartment light or light that shines on the shifter ? It may be my eyes but the shifter light seems dimmer vs when I first bought the car

5. burstaneurysm

burstaneurysm Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The glove compartment light doesn't have a replaceable bulb. You'd have to replace the module.
    I can't recall the p/n, but you have two options. Toyota amber or Lexus white.

I'm going to try and track down the Lexus one.

Not sure about the shifter light.

6. burstaneurysm

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
  7. Superdrol

Superdrol Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Have you changed your glovebox light yet ? The dealer wants $36 for this from Lexus.

8. lopgok

lopgok Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I suspect with effort it can be taken apart and modified.
    I didn't notice a light in my glovebox; I will check again when it gets darker.
    I found it. Not obvious how to remove it, but almost certainly modifiable with a bit of effort.

9. burstaneurysm

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I found the replacement part from a vendor online for $12.50... even then, doesn't seem worth it to me.

10. Superdrol

Superdrol Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Update: I installed everything. One of the map lights busted the c clip which I suppose is common so that will need to be replaced (any hints other than the dealer?)

I didn't realize how bright all the smd LEDs would be. I decided not to use the LEDs for the map lights. The did not fit very well and it was hard to turn off and on. Also the light literally blinds me at night. The done light is fine but the map lights are extremely bright in the dark. I used a different bulb which is dimmer instead. The dome light also barely fit and I could have sworn I nearly busted it putting it in.

If I could do it over again I would have just bought regular smd led replacements instead of the big wafers. It is hard to illustrate in the pictures but the car becomes an operating room with 300+ LEDs. The regular halogens were too dim but the wafers are extremely bright. Direct 3-6 led bulb replacements would probably be perfect plus I would not have to deal with the cording issues. I am contemplating taking the map light wafers and tapping into the dome light and mounting a wafer on each side of the glove box. It'll really light up then lol.

11. burstaneurysm

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I broke the map light lens too. My local dealer ordered the part for me for 8 bucks.
    I found the part online for cheaper, but all of the dealers want $15-18 for shipping.

12. Bullet Salvador

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I took the dive and purchased them for the gen 3. It works fine, however, my issue is it does not lock in place.

I know you have a gen 2, but what technique did you use to have it lock in place?

Thanks in advance.

13. ...

... Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Bullet - I had to "trim" the sockets wall down a little at a time to get them to sit in and lock in place.

In retrospect, I think I might just have siliconed/glued them in as that is reversible and all...

Bullet Salvador likes this.