1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

LED Christmas Lights

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Prudence, Nov 27, 2007.

1. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You can sell them on eBay. You might get $0.99.

Our local utility has a trade in program. This year they would take up to three strings and give you three strings of LED. I went with my parents and we each got in line in different spots with three strings and our utility bills. We each got three strings of LEDs. Gave them all to my Dad and he put them on his house.

I'm hoping they'll do the same for me next year and then I can do *my* house.

They also took up to 5 incandescents and gave up to 5 compact fluorescents. I got 5 "100 watt" compact fluorescents this year. I'll do the same next year until I have none left.

You might see if your local utility has any sort of trade in program like these.

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks Godiva. I'll check into it. My roomates want to go LED now. :)

3. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    We celebrate Santa. And it makes my daughter happy. She's making cookies for him, and preparing carots for the reindeer that she can name in perfect order. She doesn't really "believe" in him, but decided to hedge her bets this year anyway. God has offspring? How's that work?

Oh man. I couldn't even type for a few minutes there, I was enjoying this so much. I'm saving it to send to others! :)

4. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    All night? Try all month...

I put mine in the metal recycle bin at our waste pickup place. The copper is the biggest haul there.

5. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    And yet Daniel wonders why he doesn't have a girlfriend or wife. :(

Living a lifestyle of if-you-can't-join-them,-ridicule-them, is the best way to guarantee a life surrounded by like-minded ogres . . . if even they will have you.

Merry X-mas Daniel.

6. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually there were some pretty hot girls at my professor's tamale party that were making jokes similar to Daniel's. While I agree that he may be in the minority with his views and he could potentially alienate himself to a wider range of women, what kind of enjoyment would he get from a woman who is opposed to his views anyway? :) Thankfully my girlfriend completely understands evolution and science so she doesn't freak out over my views yet she believes in Jesus for the main reason that she likes the basic biblical teachings. Not sure how she partitions her mind so but she's a great person so I don't delve too deeply. :)

7. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
  8. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Me: A conservative who retried from the Navy.

And my wife? . . . a cute, very liberal, UC Berkeley grad who was also a member in good standing of the Berkeley Feminist Alliance. :eek:

Yes, opposites do attract, but ridicule turns everyone off. For Daniel, is wasn't a joke . . . it's a lifestyle.

9. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I thought it was funny Daniel, but I have no friends.

I need to find LED christmas lights. I light my home for the kids who live around here, I get into Christmas because it's fun and for the kids. Jesus is just a made up story for why we have a party near the time of the summer solstice and another near the northern spring equinox. God and Jesus knew good times for birth and death. I like the celebration of lengthening days and the arrival of spring and snow melt myself. Of course us Aussies have it all upside down but that just means we need an excuse to have a short holiday mid year (Queens Birthday even though it isn't her birthday in June) and in our spring (Labour Day in early October) so that's cool. Oh and I hate eggnog.

10. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Lucky SOB. :p

11. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I find it interesting how these discussions evolve. From a random comment about light emitting diodes, we get right into it. :cool:

My impression about the lights tradition at this time of year is that it celebrates the return of the sun. It's a ritual that predates Christianity by thousands of years.

12. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Well, according to mainstream Christianity, god or the holy ghost (which are one and the same but different, and along with christ, who is also the same but different, form the trinity, a three-in-one god, sort of like Three-in-One household oil) made an unmarried woman pregnant. They don't specify whether there was actual sexual intercourse involved, though some denominations say that the girl remained a virgin, so presumably, she had sex but didn't have sex, sort of like Bill Clinton. (This whole three-in-one business makes Muslims really angry, because they say that Christians are making god into three people when, according to them, there's only one god, indivisible, with liberty and justice for nobody. Bit I digress.) The girl had a baby. Some folks ask whether she remained a virgin after the birth, but I don't know how Christians answer that question, or whether there is general agreement among them on this point. That baby was Jesus of Nazareth, who Christians unanimously assert was the offspring of god, otherwise knows as the son of god, and Part III of the holy trinity. He got himself executed for telling people to be nice to each other and for trying to overthrow the Roman government. Protestants pray to him, though Catholics seem to prefer praying to his mom, and both groups also pray to god, mostly to ask for pay raises and video games.

And that's how god has an offspring.

Thank you Patrick. And a very merry Christmas to you too. May the day be a joyous one for you and your family, and may the new year bring you all the best.

(I don't celebrate the day myself, and I feel that religion is all bunk, but that does not prevent me from sincerely wishing all the best to others on the days that have meaning for them, and throughout the year.)

13. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Just wanted to mention that at the beginning of the month Balboa Park has something called "December Nights." http://www.balboapark.org/decembernights/

There was a sign saying that they converted to L.E.D.s, there is a 90% savings on electricity. SDG&E had a booth there describing the benefits and had their plug-in Prius on display.

14. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Thanks for the idea!
    I already had the wall switch and outlet above the kitchen cabinets.

Target was out, so I got a string of 100 white LEDs for $14 at Costco . . . and with their renowned return policy, I can't go wrong should they end up dying prematurely.

Using only eight watts of power, the lighting looks nice and subdued and will be great for evening snack runs when we don't wish to blast on the bright main kitchen lights.

UPDATE: The lights are working great, but I could stand for them being a little brighter. I think I will try 'wallpapering' the top of the cabinets with aluminum foil. The cabinets are oak and the dark top is undoubtedly soaking up the extra light I want.

15. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Okay, I just found this thread.
    Yes, it's old... but it's GREAT!!
    I'm LOL at Daniel, at F8L, even at Sufferin'...

And this year, we have LED lights on our tree! :p
    I think they look great!

DH occasionally likes to throw out the idea that "killing a tree for Jesus" seems a little weird... of course, ours is a fake tree...

Anyway, I really enjoyed reading through this thread! Not sure how I missed it last year! :)

16. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't do the tree any more but we throw a few lights on the outside of the house. This year my place is pretty crap but some here are excellent. I'll get some pictures up if I can. I need to take some first.