1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

LED DRL for 2005 Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Robert LeBlanc, May 28, 2014.

1. Robert LeBlanc

Robert LeBlanc New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I recently had my headlights replaced and the bodyshop installed a pair of Eagle Eyes headlights that have a strip of LEDs across them (presumably as DRL). The headlights work fine, except the LEDs never light up. From what I've been able to figure out from Googling, my 2005 Prius isn't equipped for that extra LED--a feature that was introduced with the 2006 models. What I'm wondering is whether there's an adapter harness or at least a wiring guide out there that might help me get power to the LEDs as DRLs. Or is it more involved than a rewiring job? Note that this is strictly for using the LED strip as DRL, not as headlights. Any ideas?

2. Jason in OZ

Jason in OZ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    i think you will find (as did i) that the "LED" strip in the headlights, isn't actually LED's.
    they are fakes. when i got my car late last year, i too discovered that hey weren't real.

apparently it catches many new prius owners out.

i had my new headlights installed about a week ago, and i also had a set of Hella DRL's installed at the same time.

[​IMG]

jason.

HeadOfJarg likes this.
  3. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Obviously this took much more time and effort... but You can always retrofit LEDs like mine on my 2008. :)

My Mini H1, Blacked Housing and LEDs thread.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The output of these retrofitted Mini H1s are freaking amazing. Puts the OEM reflector HID to shame. These LEDs were awesome for DRLs.

4. Robert LeBlanc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think you might just have saved my sanity, Jason, thank you :)

Yes, I just took a closer look at the headlights and I can't see any evidence that there are actual bulbs in there, or any electrical connections to that part of the headlight assembly. Furthermore I looked more closely at the Eagle Eyes product description and notice they have no mention at all of LEDs, just the halogens. Seems like an alternately pointless and deceptive feature, though. Buyers who look at the photos of the headlight assembly see what looks like a strip of LEDs, only to discover they're just decorative. Nice.

Well, at least I can stop wracking my brain trying to figure out how to rewire these things! :)

5. Robert LeBlanc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Impressive! I don't think I really want to go to the trouble of drilling out the fake LEDs to install real ones in them, however. I'm more likely to just replace these headlights with ones that have real LEDs in them to begin with, like the Anzo CCFL + LED models.

6. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Like these? eBay Projector headlights
    CCFL Halo
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Low Beam
    [​IMG]
    high beam
    [​IMG]

They don't look bad...but the beam output leaves a lot to be desired and the CCFL doesn't appear to be very bright. For $300ish I'd rather retrofit something better.

7. Robert LeBlanc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree, I just haven't found any other headlights with LEDs that fit a 2005. I'm probably not looking in the right places, granted. Where should I be looking, since Google isn't steering me anywhere useful?