1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

LED fog lights install

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by CruZindon, Apr 28, 2011.

1. CruZindon

CruZindon New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I plan to install LED fog lights in my gen II. It currently does not have any fog lights. I know how to wire it to the parking or headlights. BUT I want the LED lights on when I turn on the ignition without turning on the parking or headlights.

Can anyone teach me how to or where to wire this?

Thanks!

2. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
  3. CruZindon

CruZindon New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's 8 led each. 1 watt per led. Is this ok?

Why is power consumption important?

I am planning to install aftermarket HIDs too. What do you think?

Thanks!!!

4. alekska

alekska Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

This should be ok to feed LED from the washer motor supply. I have 2 self-made LED DRLs each ~ 0.5 A (12 Watts together) feeding from washer motor just fine. They come on when the ignition is in "Ready".

Wattage is important because the washer motor circuit is not designed for permanent load, just for short bursts. Also, if you turn on the washer on when you are using your lights, there will be extra load. So small additional load is Ok.

5. CruZindon

CruZindon New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks alekska!!!

Yup I saw your LEDs and that inspired me to put on mine.

How many hours do you think the bulbs will last if used as DRL? I'm planning to splice and plug in the blue wire of washer so in case I don't want it on, I can easily unplug it from the splice.

6. CruZindon

CruZindon New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Dear alekska,

I already installed the leD fog 8w each using the washer motoR. It looks gReat. How much power dOEs this actually consume from my batteries? If I am on ev moDe, will it deplete the batteries twice fasteR?

Thanks!

7. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The LEDs pull such a small load I doubt your will notice the difference. :)

8. CruZindon

CruZindon New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ----

Thanks!

Almost done with my mods. Will post pics soon.

9. Andre2010

Andre2010 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    i am a new here. i donnt know where to start. so i start here. i come across a problem that my led fog lights keep flicking? Could it be possible the problem of led?

10. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    You have an intermittent contact somewhere in the path from the power to your lights. I would suggest you start at the point where you take power from the car and work your way back to the lights, taking apart each electrical connection along the way and redoing it carefully.

If this doesn't do it, try wiggling the light and the wire that leads into it and see if this makes it flicker. If the flaw is in the fixture you will need to either open and fix it or replace it.

11. striker308

striker308 Three time Prius owner

Evans, NY (USA) / South Williamsport, PA (USA)
    Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Mine had Fog lights so I just installed 9006 Led Bulb replacments. My Wife's aunts car doesn't have fog lights installed but the wirring harness has the plug there for them but no power because the plug at the other end (steringwheel) isn't plugged into the switch (not installed) just used that wirring for an aftermarket switch and your set. I also installed LED DRL as a strip that runs along the bottom of the headlight. Ice build up has been an issue with these. Next step is to take the cover off the headlight and install them inside the Lens where the Fake LED strip is now, Just haven't had time to do this yet.

MY LED 9006 bulbs flickered at first, I installed a small Cap in-line with the lights and it stopped the problem.