1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

LED Headlight assembly mounting point fix

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by yeldogt, Sep 27, 2018.

1. yeldogt

yeldogt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    FYI -- If you should ever run into a broken mounting point on the headlight assembly -- Toyota sells a fix. The headlight assembly has two reinforced screw holes at strategic places next to each of the four mounting points. The replacement mount the Toyota sells screws into those holes and fixes the assembly.

Years ago I had a loose HID headlight in one of our Lexus vehicles. On inspection it had two broken mounting tabs. Trying to find a solution vs a new case for $500 ... I stumbled across the fix. When I took my Prius LED headlight out to fix the front end damage recently, noticed the broken mounts ... but, also the unused screw holes .. understood what they are for.

The dealer parts department are not up on these -- so, you have to look online and sort of guess. My local dealer was no help and I had to prepay for the parts. Ordered two parts being my best guess -- one was correct ($12) ---the other was for one of the unbroken mounts ($20). Got the most important one -- and three will hold it fine.

The mounts are designed to snap -- so in a minor hit you may not end up with a broken no longer watertight case -- the LED case is over $600. That's just the case! Even with the mistake -- $30 is cheap.

2. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

Toyota Parts Online | Genuine Toyota Parts & Accessories
    has most of them. I ordered almost all of them, if not all, listed on the site, and was only missing one. One local dealer parts guy helped me hunt down the last one. I’m afraid I posted this in the Prius v side, I think! (My sleepy head)........

3. yeldogt

yeldogt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Just letting people know they are available -- found them by accident years ago. The parts guys at my local dealer did not know anything about them .....

4. m3pare

m3pare Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Do you remember the part number(s) by chance?