1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

LED Headlight Conversion

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by genetiix, Sep 3, 2012.

1. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    You have the better looking 2010-11 LED headlights (y)

2. Jonny Zero

Jonny Zero Giggidy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I do not like the 2010-11's mismatching parking lights, but that is an easy fix with an LED bulb. The 2012s have built in V shaped parking light strips.

I do wonder if the 3 LED setup is brighter and perhaps offer better lighting off to the side. One side effect of my two LED setup is I get flash because people think I am running high beams.

3. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The OEM setup has a sensor & bar on the rear axle beam that sends a signal to the headlight leveling computer, which in turn sends the signal to the leveling motors on the headlights.

For the manual adjustment, u would need something like this along with the wiring harness

[​IMG]

Blizzwhiteprius likes this.
  4. nokiafan88

nokiafan88 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hey I was reading this older thread and wanted to make sure that I get all the things that I need. So 2 main LED Headlights, you mentioned something about a LED computer?
    Do I need 1 or 2 of them? Like one for each headlights? If I do need this item, doesn't the headlight have this module? Also where is this module connected? I also saw a post in regards to a plug and play harness that you can purchase. Do you know where I can purchase one? I don't really know how to wire and splice wires properly. Unless you think it is easy to do? I have plenty of spare H11 HID kits where I could make a harness? Please let me know if you can see what other items are necessary for the LED Headlight upgrade. Thanks for your time

5. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The LED computer control is a LED ballast. U will need 1 for each headlight. Unless the headlight some with them u will need to purchase them separately.

As for the wiring, I know u can find the halogen to LED adaptors on yahoo japan auctions. It just takes time to find them. If u have the headlights, u can get the molded #off of the connector & have a Toyota parts guy match them up....however finding a knowledge parts guy who knows how to do this is another story. U would also need to get the correct terminals for the connector & just make ur own adaptor harness.

These are the only things that are needed:

1) LED headlights with ballasts.
    2) adaptor harness if u want pnp

BigPete likes this.
  6. genetiix

genetiix Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yeah, you would need the LED driver for both sides, it acts similar to a ballast for HID's. Here is one of them here. Search around on eBay or maybe a junkyard. I got lucky and got them for about $90/each. The module bolts onto the bottom of the headlight, and is usually sold without it. Auto-bodies typically will reuse the LED driver and just purchase new headlights. The headlight will have a 2 male cables hanging out which connects directly onto the driver.

A harness is not needed and will add unnecessary costs. Since you have spare H11 HID kits, this will be perfect. You simply need to trace the + and - that goes into the LED driver. Cut off those two cables from the headlight, and make a harness out of your spare H11 kit. This way, your stock headlight harness is untouched. When you actually lay the parts out, the pictures I have posted will make more sense. If you take a look at the 4th picture, you can see how I converted my old HID adapter to work with the LED ballast.

This picture attached shows you the cables you need to power on the LEDs (red + black wires) 2012-09-02 14.57.59.jpg

7. nokiafan88

nokiafan88 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks for the info
    Thank you for the helpful info, I think that I will just do your method. Is there anything else that I need to know about the headlights? Is there any extra wires that will be hanging out or left unused? So just that I understand this right. So I will cut off part of the harness from the HID kit, then cut off the harness from the LED Headlight and then use part of the harness from the HID kit and wire it into the LED Headlight. The HID harness that is cut off will be off the HID Ballast right? Not from the HID bulbs right? Sorry, I am just not so good at these sort of things and can be clumsy. I hope that I can find a pair of LED Headlights without spending $300-$400 a pop. Do you know if I need to change any fuses in the fuse box or am I okay and just leave it alone?

8. genetiix

genetiix Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yes, the harness is cut from the hid ballast. The only parts you need in addition is probably the screws that hold the led driver to the headlight, they are about 0.50 each from the dealer...Depending on the condition of the light, you may have to buy a tab repair kit. The dealer has these parts for $7-15, depending on the tab that is broken..

The fuses you can leave alone. LEDs uses less energy than halogen bulbs and I've had no problems 8 months after the conversion version.

Where are you located? I'd be glad to help as well if you are close by.

BigPete and nokiafan88 like this.
  9. nokiafan88

nokiafan88 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks for the help but im all the way in Oregon. I wanted to say thanks for the helpful info because it would take me too long to figure these things out. Ill be on a lookout for some headlights then

10. Priusmpg

Priusmpg Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    2013 Toyota Prius Parts -
    hey guys i was ordering parts for my shop and i asked the prius on the led headlights around $475 each Brand new
    and $187 each for the control module so $662 each side

11. Duracell

Duracell New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Could you elaborate on that? Is there a difference in the '12-13 LED headlights verses the '10-11? I've been looking for pics but can't find any that show if there are differences.

Thanks,
    James

12. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Yes, the '10-11 have incandescent parking lights (which you can change out to LED) whereas the '12-14 have LED parking light "brow" (pictured below). While the brow is an advantage, the '12-14 have squarish high beam (as opposed to the round high beam seen in the OP) and doesn't look as good IMO. The 3 round design coordinates much better than the 2 round LED and 1 square high beam design.

Also, all '10-11 LED headlights have light (baby) blue housing. The '12-14 have clear housing on the Prius liftback and darker blue housing (also visible in the pic below) on the Adv. PIP.

[​IMG]

hw30_ likes this.
  13. Jay J

Jay J Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two

That's what I did :p

14. still in school

still in school Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    does the JDM LED headlights have a step in the cutoff line?

15. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Yes and it's the reverse beam pattern for RHD vehicles.

16. jhigga15

jhigga15 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    This may sound silly, but is there a led bulb I can replace the stock bulb with?

17. Jason in OZ

Jason in OZ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    there are LED headlight conversion kits on ebay. i am about to try one in my 2006 and see how good (or bad) it is.
    expect to pay at least $100 for a set.

Jason.

18. Jay J

Jay J Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Unless someone buys an EU kit :p

19. Jay J

Jay J Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Or attach a power screw driver to the top of the headlight and aim :p

20. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    How are you LED conversion guys solving the issue of no ice removal on your conversions?
    The OEM LED's have a pisser that streams windshield washer fluid over the lens.... see post #32 photo for details.