1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

LED headlight installation for my car

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by traav1s, Aug 1, 2020.

1. traav1s

traav1s New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I’m planning to do some modifications DIY, such as Toyota techstream settings and more. But I’m starting with the headlights. I have the halogen ones, not the HID, so they are super dimmed and weak during the night.
    Now, to my question, what is the easiest way of removing the old halogen bulbs and installing the new headlights? I’m planning to do this ASAP since this will be the daily commuter.

2. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    The halogen bulbs are relatively easy* to remove- instructions are in the car owners' manual. If you've lost yours or if the car didn't come with it, you can download a free replacement PDF from Toyota.

*you do get your hands into a weird position to reach them, and some people just can't do it due to hand size or dexterity issues, but headlamp bulbs are generally considered to be user-replaceable.

SFO likes this.
  3. traav1s

traav1s New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Okay. Also, how should I be beaming the chips? Do I beam the led chip side by side? Or facing up and down?

4. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I couldn't tell you; they're all designed differently. You may need to experiment. It really helps if you can park a measured distance in front of a target wall and mark the beam you are currently producing from the halogen bulbs with bits of tape. Then you'll have a reference to work towards for the new LEDs. They can be pretty fiddly.

Good luck!

SFO likes this.