1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

LED Headlight - Radio Static

Discussion in 'Prius v Accessories and Modifications' started by butchbs1985, Jan 5, 2020.

1. butchbs1985

butchbs1985 Taking things apart is fun!

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    In June '19 I had to replace one low beam headlight after 6 years of service. Installed a new halogen bulb which didn't last through December. I don't have $60 to spend on retail halogen bulbs every 6 months so I purchased some LED bulbs from SuperBrightLEDs.com who was recommended to me and I've used previously.

I had two issues. The lamps were the wrong polarity (the clip was wrong). I flipped the connector and the bulbs work but then the radio was static. Turn off the lights and no static. I'll call them on Monday to see what they say and return the bulbs.

Does anyone have any LEDs that you've used in a Prius v without issue?
    Any halogen recommendations to get good life out of aftermarket bulbs if LEDs don't work?

2. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Some bulb manufacturers provide a warranty on their bulbs. Maybe the $60 bulb has this? I’m afraid you didn’t mention which model you got.

Although underperforming as I understand, NAPA has some that are warrantied for 3 years.

LEDs, or HIDs, would likely be worse performing.

3. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I’ve never experienced RF interference with an LED lamp. Did these lamps have a separate driver box? If so, that’s what I would suspect was the RF source.

4. butchbs1985

butchbs1985 Taking things apart is fun!

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Silverstars. I've reached out to Sylvania. No response yet so I moved on. Next time I'll buy from Advance Auto if the LED situation doesn't work out. They'll just replace them inside of 1 year.

SM-G970U ?