1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

LED Headlight save 12voltage battery?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Tekken, Dec 20, 2019.

1. Tekken

Tekken Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi everyone.

Is it using LED Light can reduce consuming on 12v battery? I'm experiencing the High Voltage battery drop quick with Halogen Headlight on. You know High Voltage battery change that 12v battery right?

I'm bought a pair of LED Headlight 9005 on ebay and they don't work and Not even fit in My Prius is 2013.

I did a search and the size 9005 for High bean headlight. H11 for low bean headlight for prius 2013.

Another question, do I need a get something like Conversion Kit? or just LED light bulk like following link

Please advise.

2. StarCaller

StarCaller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    the sizes are correct /
    usually if you buy led bulbs everything is included & already connected & they should just light up as the regular ones /
    like this ones here /

it will very likely NOT solve ne problems you have with your 12v battery /
    check your connections, ALL of them, especially the ground connections /

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Sometimes a project like that can start off with what's called a "back of the envelope" calculation, which is where you take some old scrap of paper (it can be the real back of an envelope, but doesn't have to be) and a pencil, and just write down some of the basic stuff, like:

• the high-voltage battery is made of 28 modules, 7.2 volts and 6.5 amp-hours each
    • so it has a nominal capacity of 201.6 volts at 6.5 amp-hours, or, 1310 watt-hours
    • the car likes to keep it between 40% and 80% charged, so it will rarely allow more than 524 watt-hours out of the battery before doing something to recharge it
    • a typical halogen headlight bulb is about 55 watts, or 110 watts for the pair
    • so will typically take a few hours to use enough traction-battery charge to trigger a recharge
    • other stuff going on in the car will typically require engine running/recharging sooner than that
    • the wattage of the LED headlight might be shown on the package, could be around 20, or maybe 40 watts for the pair
    • so yes, will draw down the battery more slowly, but any difference may be drowned out by the consumption of other stuff in the car.

Robert Holt likes this.
  4. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    NO. Because the power for the lights does not come from the 12 V battery while the car is running.
    It comes from the 12 V inverter; the input for that is the HV battery.

If you think you are having problems with the HV battery, stop wasting your time messing with the headlights. Even if it does reduce the drain a little bit, it will FIX NOTHING.

5. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    When the fire evacuation happened here, I was stuck in dark PM traffic commute jams for weeks. Halogens bulbs caused regens 3 times per evening drive (SOC 40% to 50%), it ate up my overall MPGs. I know my 12v battery was good beceause I was averaging 64-65 mpg per trip w/o the regens. I bought some costly but low wattage LEDs, no more regens in the pm traffic. Theyre rated10.5 watt per LED bulb, not 55 watt like halogen. MPGs went back up to 64-65 mpgs, I'm still on the same 12v battery.

H11 is correct fitment for low beam, it should come with huge drivers if you buy economical ones.

RMB and Robert Holt like this.