1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

LED headlights auto leveling

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Jonny Zero, Oct 17, 2012.

1. Jonny Zero

Jonny Zero Giggidy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I had read that the auto leveling only works when you first turn on the lights. But, I have caught mine doing it in traffic. When I come to a stop behind a car, a second after the front end bounces back, I notice the beams dip down half of an inch, on the car in front of me. I have seen this a few times. Seems the auto level feature is always at work. Is this new for 2012?

2. Jonny Zero

Jonny Zero Giggidy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Another thing I noticed, the high beam positions have a DOT VOR HB3 mark, but there is no DOT marking on the low beam side. Are these approved by DOT at all?

3. Roland1555

Roland1555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Pretty much certain that the approval marking covers the whole lighting fixture, so it includes the high and low side without necessarily stamping both ends of the units.

Roland

4. Jonny Zero

Jonny Zero Giggidy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Well HB3 is 9005 which is the high beam bulb.
    On my 2002 Camry, there was a DOT HB3 (9005 bulb) mark by the high beam, and a DOT HB4 (9006) mark by the low beam.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Is it possible that the LED unit isn't a bulb. Each large "bulb" housing could consist of several smaller diodes within each bulb so the stamping would be on those diodes rather than the bulb housing.

6. Jonny Zero

Jonny Zero Giggidy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Yea but I thought by law they have to declare DOT compliance on the housing for an inspector to see. (None ever bother to look for it).

To our friends in the EU with LED headlights - can you check if the housing has an E# mark by the low beams? Also if you can take a picture of the beam pattern against a wall, it would be appreciated. I am very curious what the beams look like in the EU, with known ECE compliance. Thanks in advance.