1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

LED headlights

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Noobprius, Jan 16, 2017.

1. kutcht1

kutcht1 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I read quit a lot of threads on replacing halogen H4 bulbs and decided to give a cheaper LED set from ebay, $12.95. I can say that they are 100% better than the halogens and I did not get oncoming cars flashing me. I got "H4 LED Headlight, DC9-32V, fits 12V-24V. Each light has built in heat sink and fan, 4000LM, 360 degree projection, 36W per bulb, COB LED". Just wanted to give my experience as many have the same questions I had. Will not go back to halogen and at the cost it is well worth it.
    TomK

tangerino and SFO like this.
  2. The Phoenix

The Phoenix Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Kutcht do you have a direct link to that product, I bought some much more expensive ones from Amazon, and I just can't get the adjustment right, it also could be because of the aftermarket headlights Im using. My LED's are four sided and I have a very hard time rotating them once installed Im very curious to hear more about your experience

3. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Would be great if you could post some photos of the light output against a wall/garage or on the street.

Possibly shots of both the high beams and the low beams.

4. kutcht1

kutcht1 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I sure will do some photos (night photos are tough) and attempt to post ( I did this awhile ago but can't remember what I did).
    I can say that the low beams are AMAZING compared to the halogens. The high beams don't seem to change anything as you can hardly see it change.
    These are the ones I bought:
    H4 HB2 9003 LED Headlight 8000LM 6500K 72W COB All-In-One High/Low Beam | eBay

TomK

SFO likes this.
  5. Prii93

Prii93 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    New here and my first post. ☺

Typing with my broken hands as the headlight bulbs was the most pita install ever.

Anyway I just installed some leds but i decided to go with Phillips extreme vision Instead.

It was certainly bright but it lacked detail maybe I installed it the wrong way but I just didn't like it.

Last one was the led left and right phillips not a great comparison but its all i got.

Attached Files:

SFO likes this.
  6. Prii93

Prii93 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I bought the same type as well.

I too would like to see it

7. Prii93

Prii93 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    H4 HB2 9003 LED Headlight 8000LM 6500K 72W COB All-In-One High/Low Beam | eBay

Sorry I meant i got those led headlights

8. kutcht1

kutcht1 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Will try to get photos tonight. My lights look similar to yours, the second picture shows how it lights up things in front of you, where as the halogens just seemed to light up the first 20 feet or so in front and not very bright. All in all the halogens are SO terrible ( I had standard Phillips bulbs) I felt like I could hardly see enough to drive safely. With the LED's I can now see and the pattern is good and it does not seem to annoy oncoming drivers and for $12.95 it was worth a try. The install is simple, it just requires you to take some 10mm fasteners off to remove the corners of the bumper to get the headlight away a bit to get at it.
    TomK

SFO likes this.
  9. Prii93

Prii93 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah it was my first time after that I got used to opening and closing the LED fans are sometimes a pain to get around.

I didn't take the bumper out lol I took my relay box and that air pipe out and went in on the sides.

But apparently you have to take the slot with the 3 pointers into the headlight socket first. then slide the led itself in.

You do have a point I used philips which you can see it gets some details, but doesn't shoot forward so far.

The LED has some covers on the side to help from blinding folks, but then again I sat and looked at it and didn't drove it for too long.

I will try again and see how it turns out, I need more light as I can especially my area otherwise I'm gonna use my Hyundai lol

10. Prii93

Prii93 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Used it today and they were bad.

They had a beam pattern of T-Rex arms, on a open road lol

I switched back to Phillips and staying there.

Attached Files:

SFO likes this.
  11. kutcht1

kutcht1 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Are the headlights adjustable in the GEN2 Prius? Mine look nothing like yours. I just bought a different kind to see the difference. They are different in that there is a shield in front of a section of the LED. The ones I am currently using are wide open with three sides with LED on them. It was snowing last night so I got no photos.
    TomK

SFO likes this.
  12. kutcht1

kutcht1 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would try and adjust your beams. I just found out how myself. Here is a link to a video.

TomK

Prii93 and SFO like this.
  13. Prii93

Prii93 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Yeah i might need to adjust them even before they were quite low. Thanks for the video i was looking for it.

14. kutcht1

kutcht1 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here is a photo of how they look driving. I still say they are 100% better than halogens. Just bought a second set for my other Prius I gave to my dad.
    TomK

Attached Files:

#34 kutcht1, Feb 10, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
    Prii93 and SFO like this.
  15. Prii93

Prii93 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    man those lights look so good!

I tried going back to the listing on eBay but says its sold out.

I found a similar bulb on eBay and will order and try it out.

The one I had didn't had a 360 projection like yours did.

16. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That really bright hotspot in front of the vehicle is a lot of glare that will constrict your pupils. That will decrease your night vision, which is why you don't use highbeams in fog, because the glare bouncing off the fog causes your pupils to constrict.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

tangerino likes this.
  17. kutcht1

kutcht1 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Xrider, I am sure you have way more insight on the light and bulbs. I was just wanting to see while driving at night since the halogens are so bad. I did aim them lower because I did not want to blind oncoming traffic as I think now after driving a few day I will bring them up slightly as they are a little low. That HOT spot you see will be gone and I really don't see that while driving as it must be more just the photo. They actually look better than the photo. All I can say is what I have said all along, THEY ARE 100% BETTER THAN HALOGENS (sorry for yelling) and I can now see at night.
    TomK

SFO likes this.
  18. SERGEJ GONCARENKO

SERGEJ GONCARENKO Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

After a recent member enquiry regarding these Lumiled H4 bulbs and a over a year of usage, I can confirm that I am still 100% happy with them. They are still installed, adn 100% operational as were in November 2016.
    Aliexpress seller still has them for sale, now at $43.40 (I paid $46) but I think they worth every penny

Karism and SFO like this.
  19. SERGEJ GONCARENKO

SERGEJ GONCARENKO Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Keep in mind that picture of the reflection on the wall showing curve toward the left, that where we have road signs here in Ireland :cry:

SFO likes this.
  20. Prii93

Prii93 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Dude I just installed mine and driving home. It is soooooooo good I can see much much further and nobody high beamed me.

Thanks for the right bulb the 360 one works best

Attached Files:

SFO likes this.