1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

LED interior light module shop (CLOSED again)

Discussion in 'Sponsored Commercial Sales' started by darelldd, Jun 14, 2006.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I believe the prices are listed on his site (accessible via his signature)

Hmm, Darell, didn't the plate lights used to be $40? They're $55 now? :(

I believe the prices are listed on his site (accessible via his signature)

Hmm, Darell, didn't the plate lights used to be $40? They're $55 now? :(

2. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Jan 27 2007, 09:12 PM) [snapback]381847[/snapback]</div>
    I did initially have a lower price on the license lights, but that increased pretty quickly once I started making some! The less I enjoy doing something, the more I have to charge... or just stop like I'm doing now.

I mean no offence, of course. It isn't like I've ever begged anybody to buy these!

3. DCDura

DCDura Junior Member

I'd buy the dome lamps and especially the door edge lights if-when you start making these again Darell.

4. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Noted! You can see that my door is no longer being broken down for these. :) After a while I'll count up what people want, order the parts, and see about another run. Thanks for posting!

5. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DCDura @ Mar 14 2007, 02:08 PM) [snapback]405671[/snapback]</div>
    I agree, these would be the ones I would want.

6. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I kept dragging my feet and didn't order the first time. I'm in for the cargo, doors, and dome whenever you decide start up again.

7. mikej83

mikej83 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RichP @ Jan 27 2007, 01:56 PM) [snapback]381695[/snapback]</div>

Sign me up too! I would like all the lights except for the cup light and vanity lights.

-Mike

8. Gadgetdad

Gadgetdad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Me too! I got on PC to late to know about your lights. Keep us posted if you get the invention bug again. I would be a buyer for the best & brightest :)

Lee

9. MacDude

MacDude Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Me too. :D

I want to be just like Gadgetdad when I grow up. B)

10. Gadgetdad

Gadgetdad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MacDude @ Mar 19 2007, 03:07 PM) [snapback]408596[/snapback]</div>
    :lol: Yes Padawan, when many modifications have been installed, you can be as the Gadgetdad B)

11. SteveS

SteveS New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'd be very interested in the full package... *beg*!!!!

12. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I've got you on the wish list, Steve. Thanks.

13. Stepclimb

Stepclimb Junior Member

Darell,
    Please add me to the list. I'm in for the whole package if production starts up again.

In the mean time, can these LED modules be made by someone with good soldering skills using off-the-shelf products?

Thanks!

14. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stepclimb @ May 26 2007, 08:53 PM) [snapback]450651[/snapback]</div>
    Stepclimb-

Do me a favor and send me an email so I can easily add you to my list. (ev at darelldd dot com).

The short answer to your question is no. And yes. ;) While all the components are "off the shelf" - they must all be sourced, and then arranged properly on a circuilt board (that's custom-made, of course) in order to fit in a usable footprint. The original circuit took untold hours and money to design, prototype and test, and is now on its third generation. Trying to buy the components (and designing the board) in small quantites would be foolhardy at best, and impossible at worst. There's a good reason that nobody else is yet doing this!

15. Bob64

Bob64 Sapphire of the Blue Sky

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not sure if anyone has suggested this but...

Have you considered packaging your stuff as a kit (assembly required) with a set of instructions?

That way, your work doesn't go to waste, and your time spent is also reduced and people good with their hands and willing to accept the risk also get to learn more about LEDs and get perhaps a small discount.

Just a thought, I hope your not offended. I don't plan on buying these yet (too expensive for my shoe-string budget), but I appreciate your efforts and the awesome pictures.

16. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bob64 @ May 28 2007, 01:28 AM) [snapback]450946[/snapback]</div>
    I do appreciate the thought.... and...

The short answer is that this won't happen.

The longer (probably snotty-sounding) answer is that it takes literally $1000's of dollars of assembly tools to do this right (these are all surface-mount components that are not designed for hand-assembly). It has taken me years to collect all the tools (and - while I'm sounding snotty already - all the skills) needed to work on small electronic curcuits like these. It isn't something that goes right the first time! The customer support aspect of an undertaking like a "DIY" circuit would be impossible. If one component is damaged or installed incorrectly, we're right back to where we started. And because of that problem alone, the "kit" would need to cost far more than the completed assembly where we KNOW it was done right - and tested for functionality before being shipped.

Here is a page with a few of the tools I use for this kind of work.
    http://darelldd.com/light/tools.htm

There has been enough interest lately (lots of new cars?) so it sounds like I'll start up the assembly shop for another short run this summer. I will keep everybody posted on that! Now's the time to post here (with an email address!) or email me directly to let me know your desires.

17. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm, it'll depend on the cost (and how willing I am to fiddle with that black plastic cover in the rear hatch to access the licence plate lights) as to whether I'll get a pair.

but sign me up as potentially interested!!

18. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    As I've told countless others - the license plate lights are the LAST ones I'd replace for two main reasons:

1. Difficulty in access.
    2. As the driver of the car, you don't ever see/enjoy them!

Next in line - or second-to-last - would be the vanity lights that so few people actually use.

First choice is front, middle dome light (operates with the doors every time) and the cargo light (factory light is not up to the task).

19. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ May 28 2007, 10:43 AM) [snapback]451036[/snapback]</div>
    True but with my new 2010 Olympic plates, my car will look cool hahaha. (See the Toyota Camry Hybrid forum for a sample picture of our new plate design).

Besides, I was the reason you decided to make the licence plate lights hahaha.

I would go map light, cargo light then maybe door courtesy light. Again, it'll depend on the cost. I still haven't tried those ebay ones or "superbrightleds.com" ones. Given that no one else has come back complaining about their LEDs, it's probably safe to say that your workmanship is pretty darn good.

20. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ May 28 2007, 02:44 PM) [snapback]451125[/snapback]</div>
    The cost is on my LED purchase page (linked from the OP on this thread, I'm pretty sure... also from my Prius Mods page). The Summary:

My modules are very expensive. The Chinese ones are very cheap. There is simply no way to compare the two. It is similar to trying to compare a Yugo and Porsche 911 twin turbo. They're both cars! There's no reason for me to make cheap ones since you can buy them anywhere. But nobody else makes high-output regulated units - at any cost. And there's a reason! Did I mention cost? :)