1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

LED interior lights

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by jonathanizumi, Nov 29, 2007.

1. pickjs

pickjs New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    hey everyone, newbie here with our 2009 Prius. i have read your posts re the replacement LED interior lights and would love to modify mine. i checked out ebay but found most of those funky colour LED lights. any suggestions as to what to search for? i would hate to buy something but not have it be the right one. thanks,

2. tony g

tony g AffordableComputerGeek.co m

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I went to Superbrightleds.com and bought the below listed bulbs:

For the front dome & map lights I got T10-PCB-Wxx White LED Lamp. (xx is replaced by either 24 or 36, depending on which one you want) Go here to see them: https://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-...R#1156-PCB-W24

The maps are 24 light, brighter than the incandescent, and a nice "white" light. For the center dome I got the 36 light. VERY bright. Very happy overall with these lights. I used a modified version of jbdan's nylon wire tie method to hold them in place. I just used one tie for all three, if it doesn't rattle I keep it that way. If they do, I will used jbdan's method that he displays in his great pics!:)

I also got the High Power 2 LED Festoon bulb Warm White 3022-WWHP2.Good thing it was only $6.95 because it is very disappointing. For one thing, it doesn't quite fit. It is ever so slightly longer than the original bulb, I jammed it in there but I am not sure it will stay. And I swear it provides less light than the incandescent. Only slightly more "white" but very dim. High Power? I don't think so.

I will say that superbrightleds.com is very quick on delivery after you place an order, very impressive.

I would be interested in hearing details from anyone that has replaced the puddle lights and the cargo light. I took both of those apart and it looks like it would require some modification. Doesn't look like you can just plug in the new bulb. So if you have changed those out please post about it or pm me. Thanks!

Also check out these other threads:

http://priuschat.com/forums/prius-mo...s-led-mod.html

http://priuschat.com/forums/prius-mo...hter-leds.html

Tony

3. sunstarfire

sunstarfire New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OK, I plunged into this, too. First of all, this might be interesting since I am from Germany, and over here it's a major pain to get a hold of these LEDs.

Here is what I ordered (from autolumination.com):

"6 LED Super Hi Flux" (30mm): 4pcs (two vanity over the mirrors, one rear dome, one trunk) white

"Super Nova Matrix 5x": 2pcs (reading lights) white

"194 168 W5W 2825 25 LED Array Bulbs" (forward dome center) warm white. On seeing it now I should have gotten a white one here, too.

There is lots of stuff on these pages, so you need to scroll around a little.

Price was about US$ 107 including shipping. I had to pick up the package at the customs, since there was no invoice attached, and they will not open it to look inside. I had to pay another 10 Euros to get the LEDs. Shipping took about a week from the US.

Exchanging the LEDs was pretty painless.

I started with the forward dome. Prying that open works best with a CD inserted at the front, then prying. The bulbs are pull out type, and it's quite hard to get them out. Just grab them and pull. Don't twist the socket, it will fall back into the roof, and it's nearly impossible to get that out again.

Pull out all three bulbs and replace the two outer ones. You can test the center one (the array), too, but I glued that to the clear cover, so I waited.

The trunk light is a little more complicated. The holder for the festoon type lamp needs to be modified a little with a pair of pliers, but it works. Just fiddle around a bit.

The vanity lights over the mirrors also need a little fiddling, since the festoons are a little shorter. But the 6x lamp will work fine in there. For prying them open, get a small screwdriver and work it in at the front. Be careful not to break anything.

Same thing with the rear dome. Pry it open with the screwdriver, then get the old festoon out and put the new one in. It's a tight fit, but it works.

For the front center light I took out the clear cover and hot-glued part of a clear CF-card hardcase to that (I cut that to fit). I then fixed the array with some hot glue to that cover and put the whole thing back in. As mentioned above, I should have gotten a cool white array instead of a warm white, which is more yellow than anything else, but it's OK for now.

Dimming with the front and rear dome light WORKS! I will need to wait until it's dark to tell how much better the light is now. I will let you know.

4. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
  5. sunstarfire

sunstarfire New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's true, it's a lot, but that includes about 25 bucks shipping to Germany... I just tested them at night, and while I am still not convinced with the warm white, they are definitely a LOT brighter.

Now I need the ones in the doors... :)

6. FirstFlight

FirstFlight Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is there a place I can buy a "set" of all bulbs needed to make them LED's? I would like to do all interior lights and the DRL's.

7. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I am not aware of a prepackaged set of LEDs for all interior lights plus DRL. My post above should give you enough variety of bulbs for interior lights. For DRL there are many different options in various threads. I ended up doing it from scratch.

8. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There is no "set." You should hop onto Sylvania's website, they list every bulb type in the car.

9. wardimus

wardimus New Owner of a Used 2007 Prius

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'm purchasing all of my lights from superbrightleds.com and plan to replace as follows:

3 Qty WLED-CWHP15-TAC
    - for 2 Map, 1 Courtesy
    - update: no issues to install, good up front light
    3 Qty 3022-CWHP4
    - for 1 Trunk, 2 Vanity
    - update: Excellent light for the trunk! Although these worked for the vanity lights, it required patience and some bending to place them. I should have chosen a bulb with less light than these for the vanity - the 3022-CW4 or -NW4 would probably have been a better option.
    1 Qty UPCB-CWHP30-FES
    - for 1 Dome
    - update: great light in the back now, wow!
    2 Qty WLED-AHP5 (Amber Lights)
    - for 2 Step/Courtesy (Door)
    - update: had to change from the WLED-CWHP15-TAC, which were too long to fit

Based on recommendations in the thread I have selected Cool White for all but the step lights. They look great installed.

PriusGuy32 and Stomper88 like this.
  10. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited