1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

LED Lightbar on a 2008 prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Acidbass32, Mar 8, 2015.

1. red07gen2

red07gen2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    [​IMG] again not hooked up ....just plugged into a small motorcycle battery ..you can kind of see it behind the bicycle tire ...

2. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Can't wait to see this things output on the street!

3. red07gen2

red07gen2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    i made some mounts to screw to the bumper behind the white Styrofoam
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Nice! Does it seem sturdy? What brand of bar did you get? Is it IP67 or IP68 waterproof?

5. Acidbass32

Acidbass32 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Wow that looks great and sturdy enough to hold, I will probably Adjust my mounts with something like that when I have another day off like today.

red07gen2 likes this.
  6. Acidbass32

Acidbass32 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So the bar came in today and it is finally mounted and works beautifully. The only problem I encountered at first was mounting the bar without interfering too much with air flow to the radiator, so initially I was going to mount it like this (image 1) and quickly realized this was dumb. Because whats the point in a light bar without being able to use it? So a quick trip to home depot and oceanography final study group later, I came up with a solution. I ran 90 degree predrilled flat plate (the post they attach stop signs and such to) from one fog light cut out to another and just used typical fastenal nuts and bolts to make sure it was secure (in the image I have not yet cut it down to size). Once I cut an placed the stop sign post, It really just came down to placement of the light bar. I set the bar back a little so I could reinstall the grill and have the entire assembly functional just not visible on a first glance for a more stock look. I also cleaned up the wiring harness, ( I used to work on custom GT-Rs and the ghetto rigged look I saw in those cars, with wires going everywhere, is definitely not how I want my car to look under the hood lol) with your typical cable ties from Home Depot and also wrapped everything in electrical tape to keep everything protected from the elements and tidy. Being that I live in Galveston, wire corrosion and rust are definitely big things to worry about with the salt breeze (although it feels great). I also moved the grounding wires so they would be secure and not get jostled loose, because safety first, right? Lastly I buttoned everything up and turned it on and damn its bright, I cant wait until it gets dark to go to the beach and see how intense it really is, but even in the daylight you cant look at it straight. IMG_4954.jpg IMG_4955.jpg IMG_4957.jpg IMG_4958.JPG IMG_4962.JPG IMG_4961.jpg

red07gen2 likes this.
  7. red07gen2

red07gen2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    just some flat steel i had from another welding project....i ground it down primed it twice and hit it with a top coat of that rubberized paint ...so my guess is waterproof enough....

8. red07gen2

red07gen2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Look'en good

9. Acidbass32

Acidbass32 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks! I drive on the high way a lot to get to work, so I want to see if its going to bounce or not. Other than that I'm feeling good about it, now to paint the headlight housing.

10. red07gen2

red07gen2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    i do alot of rual driving , no street lights and very few houses, mostly farms
    and honestly the factory headlights blow or i have been spoiled by all the lights on my xterra at night , whichever way i need more night light to avoid animal strikes

11. Acidbass32

Acidbass32 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Same here, I moved down to the beach to finish up my degree and I don't have enough space to park my F-250 which has the whole shabang on it from a auxiliary lighting standpoint so I was quite spoiled. Needless to say this will definitely come in handy when I go camping on the beach to driving on these Texas back roads.

12. Acidbass32

Acidbass32 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Looks a lot better at night, but need to play with placement a little more. IMG_4964.jpg IMG_4965.jpg

red07gen2 likes this.
  13. flyerjonathan

flyerjonathan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    really like this... what is the product, and any tips for wiring it up? would like to put it on a switch on it as i tow this often and would liek some light in the early morning as i set up, sometimes in the dark

Attached Files:

• T29.JPG
      T29.JPG
      File size:
      426.3 KB
      Views:
  14. red07gen2

red07gen2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Finally got time to finish up the lightbar install .....relay installed and ran the trigger wire to the factory fog lights , there is no switch just a factory look inside....anyone know of a source of factory switches that will fit in the blanks on the left of the dimmer switch ???

15. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  16. Acidbass32

Acidbass32 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yeah I thought the switch I bought would fit the blank perfectly, but I did need to widen the factory slot a wee bit.

17. red07gen2

red07gen2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    [​IMG]
    Just the HID headlights
    [​IMG]
    With the fog light switch on (led lightbar)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Hard to get a shot from the front the light is too bright .....have to catch it at an angle

18. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Wow... soo bright. Just dont get a ticket. Looks awesome tho!

19. red07gen2

red07gen2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    basically I use them as high beams and darn they work good ....drove home from school the other night .......Ii love not just the forward light but being rural and deer strikes being a common occurrence, I love the wide view of light it throws on the sides of the road ....it is literally a night and day difference.....thank you for the compliment

20. Acidbass32

Acidbass32 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So update for the lightbar, although I'm in compliance with all Texas state highway laws and such. I still managed to get pulled over this morning by local PD and the abrasive motorcycle cop said that running off-road lighting on the road is illegal. I'm going to double check my compliance issues with the sheriff I originally talked to, to be absolutely certain the member of Galvestons finest wasn't just having a bad day and needed to take it out or what. Worst case scenario I'll need to buy a set of fog lights and was thinking the spyder OEM ones, does anyone have experience with these? I'm also going to see if tinting the bar to bypass the cops excuse of it being too bright despite careful configuration to aim it correctly at a downward slope away from drivers eyes. I'm thinking a smoked tint should be plenty to mute the brightness enough to where I won't have this issue again, but still functional. Any thoughts?