1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

LED lights recommendation?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Mochosla, Feb 27, 2022.

1. Mochosla

Mochosla Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Hello everyone. I have a 2011 Prius with 153K miles. Aside from the fact that it burns some oil, the car runs great. I do have an issue with the low beams burning out within ~6 months. I want to replace them with LEDs but wanted to hear what you guys have done to fix the issue with bulbs burning out quickly, or what LES lights you have replaced them with.

Thank you!

2. 2010moneypit?

2010moneypit? Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I cannot recommend a good set of LEDs because I still have the original H 11’s. (They have been replaced) There is either a TSB or a recall where the dealer reprogrammed the BCM to dim the bulbs slightly so they do not burn out as often. I cannot recall the TSB number though maybe somebody else can help?

3. HappyTrailsInReno

HappyTrailsInReno New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'm not aware of a TSB when I researched mine before purchasing (3rd owner of a 2013 Prius M4).
    I went to Amazon and picked SeaLight (after reading MANY pages of other choices).
    Sealight H8/H9/H11/H16 X1 Xenower for the low beams, quite pleased; can't vouch for longevity yet (they have a "dongle" that you can either lash up or not; mine are "floating" currently w/o issues).
    Their Sealight 9005/HB3 S2 (high beams) has a fan attached to it on the back and has no dongle and OMG are they bright.
    Either are ~$60/pr, so pricey compared to a standard halogen.
    Just a suggestion, there are a bazillion choices. The light pattern for the low beams matches open bulb halogen for me and seems "brighter" than the yellow stock. YMMV.

4. PriusHead05

PriusHead05 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I like Lasfit LEDs. They have been great and so has the customer service. My father has the LA Plus bulbs in the projector low beams in his v wagon. They are okay in the projector lens, but not great. They are at equal or a little bit brighter than halogen. In the reflectors type lens, no problem. They are very bright. When my halogens in mine burn out, I will actually be installing the LS Plus bulbs. They are about twice as much as the LA Plus, but they did an install video on a Tacoma with projector low beams. Results were amazing. They were crazy bright. Also, Amazon has a little better pricing than directly through Lasfit website.

5. PriusHead05

PriusHead05 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    $60 a pair is pretty close to the halogens price. For a pair of Sylvania halogens Silver Star Ultras, it was $59 or $69 last time I checked (which was about 4 months ago).

I have read some good things about Sealight headlights, but never have tried them. I did like their reverse lights I had in my F-150 a while back. Are you able to post a picture of what they look like at night?

6. NewHybridOwner

NewHybridOwner Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    What is the light output (Lumens) of the OEM bulbs, and aren't these much brighter? Doesn't NHTSA specify a maximum light output for vehicles used on public roads?

7. HappyTrailsInReno

HappyTrailsInReno New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I "swear" that I had a couple of photos on my phone, but alas, not. I'd say just run with it and return to the big "A" if you're not happy. Like I mentioned, there are a bazillion options. I haven't tried the LasFit that another mentioned. The projector H11's still have a cut-off point to help with not blinding other drivers. In my mind, brighter/whiter is better on the "down-low" :)

8. OptimusPriustus

OptimusPriustus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just installed Philips Ultinon Essential LED H11. Here they cost 60Eur a pair and they came with pair of Ultinon T10 led’s as a bonus. H11 is 6500K and T10 6000K so now the front of car look ”modern”. Was worried about brightness and glare but these are pretty decent. At least nobody has been flashing. I adjusted the lights bit lower just to be sure i dont annoy others.

Installing was easier than halogen H11 since these led bulbs come with 10cm cable making it easier to plug them on. No problems whatsoever. Haven’t tried radio (since i always listen Spotify) but with Philips i’d be surprised if these interfere. Philips LED’s are road legal in several countries, but i’m not sure about these particular budget models though.

6500k is not too blueish IMO. Not sure what color temperature these are in reality.. I just wanted to get rid of yellowish lights and that’s what i got. Maybe got some more light too but have not really tested that much