1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

LED or Xenon Headlight

Discussion in 'Prius c Accessories and Modifications' started by uPredict, Mar 21, 2012.

1. formula

formula Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I use slim ballast and high voltage extension cable.

two of the slim ballasts are mount on a bracket. I mounted them on the engine cover. there is a bolthole that I can use.

2. hpiracer

hpiracer New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    III
    Any updates/pictures/videos of the latest installs people said they would perform?

3. beerme

beerme Repeat Offender

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    III
    After doing some research, I decided not to do the HID thing- the cheap kits are too unreliable and I'm not in the mood to spend the money for a decent set up.

I elected to give the Sylania Silverstar Ultra bulb a try. They retail for about $50 per set at Walmart, but I found a couple of sets on Fleabay for $20 each. I can say that there is a major improvement over the OEM halogens and I'm quite happy with the bulbs.

Lifespan? I've read that some people reported that they don't last even a year, but I was very careful not to touch the bulbs with my skin, so hopefully they'll last as long as possible.

4. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Unfortunately I think you may have made a bad choice. :( The Silverstars and other high output halogens have an even worse track record and life expectancy than cheap HID kits. If you decide to switch later on but want to stay cheap then try an HID kit from DDM. They run about $50-$70 total and will last longer than high output halogens.

I'll cross my fingers for you. :)

5. beerme

beerme Repeat Offender

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    III
    I actually ran some Silverstar bulbs (not the Ultras) on my truck. Lasted 4+ years. Sold the truck before I ever had to replace them.

My concern for the cheapo HID kits isn't the bulbs, it's the ballasts.

6. kkim

kkim Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I've never had a problem with the ballasts on the cheap Ebay HID kits (the only kind I buy). Maybe I've been lucky, but I've purchased some 5 or 6 kits in the last 5 years or so and never a problem with the ballasts or the bulbs.

The kit I bought for the c was $33, delivered. If it craps out, for some reason, I'll simply put the stock bulbs, that I took out, back in the car, which I don't expect to do. Lol, I have a box full of stock bulbs that I've taken out my vehicles... quite a collection. :D

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Here's mine showing the cutoff.

[​IMG]

They're ok. Mine lasted 10-11 months but it's because I used it in the Gen 2 Prius that had the dual filament setup and because Canada requires DRLs, the low beam at reduced intensity was used (typical of dual-filament setup. Dual-bulb setups would use the high beam at reduced intensity).

I prefer the Phillips X-Treme Power. It trades some of the whiteness found on the Silverstars for a brighter light but again, similar lifespan.

8. beerme

beerme Repeat Offender

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    III
    I must say those HID's do look mighty fine! Yeah, I guess I've been reading too much about the different kits. I've never installed any aftermarket HID system before, so I personally have no experience on what is good or bad. But I have used the Silverstars before and I had no complaints- they gave enough light for my liking. I guess it's about what you feel comfortable with.

9. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah. This is the first time I've installed an HID kit as well. I was nervous to start but the good guys here helped with diagrams that I could follow and how to mount the ballasts and where to ground it. I've used Silverstars (not the Ultras, just the regular ones) and the Phillips X-Treme Power from powerbulb_dot_com (free shipping to US/Canada for most bulbs).

This being my first, I will be monitoring it and keeping an eye on how it performs. We do have long winters here (in the dead of winter, it's dark from 4pm to 9ish am) so that's one reason why I wanted better lighting.

1 person likes this.
  10. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The c doesn't have projector lamps???

11. Lenwood

Lenwood Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    C has projector beam headlamp perfect for hid. I've been very happy with my set up. Even if you don't have a lot of under hood experience if you can follow directions, the whole installation should only take 30-45 minutes.

1 person likes this.
  12. Redcap32

Redcap32 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I went with the Sylverstar Ultras. I work at a parts store so they are easily accessable to me. I could not stand the yellow of the original bulbs and changed them first day I had the car. Sylvania does have a 1 year guarentee on their Silverstar bulbs, if you buy it at a parts store and keep the invoice should not have a problem with any warranty, leave it in the glove box. Ultras are $50 a pair.

13. Lenwood

Lenwood Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I put hid in for the headlamp and led,s in the small headlamp marker, then I put yellow nokias in the hi beam/drl looks really cool and work well in the SFO fog!

14. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Whoops, I had a picture of the new Yaris headlight when I wrote that. The c does have projectors.

1 person likes this.
  15. d1morgj0

d1morgj0 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Do you have pics of what it looks like post changes??

16. Lenwood

Lenwood Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I'll get some picks up Monday night. My nice person is whooped tonight sit tight!

17. managerman

managerman Prius v Nerd

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Lenwood,

Can you post a link to the HID kit you you got on Ebay?...I think I am up to the challenge of installing them....Also a link to the LED bulb for the parking lamp....any install photos would be great too...

Thanks!

-M

18. Lenwood

Lenwood Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Hid kit was not from eBay but a guy who distributes and does installation out of his home in San Lorenzo ca. T&r lighting. He is on the web.the led lights are 194 I believe. The drl hi beams are 9005 nokya yellows. Most good hid kits have the same connectors as the factory there is just a ballast between the bulb and wire harness coming from the car.you just need a good spot to mount the ballast. Like I said really easy to do. As far as the light color, I wouldn't go any higher than 6000k. In fact 4300k or 5000k are nice and white. My 6000k kit has a bluish tint.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  19. Lenwood

Lenwood Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
  20. gsantos

gsantos Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Hi! Your lights look great! I have a question... I recently installed HID plug & play for the low beams and it works fine but I noticed a low buzzing almost continuous beeping sound coming from the ballast when I turn it on is this normal? It's my first install.