1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

LED tail light drop in replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by TheForce, Mar 31, 2011.

1. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just replaced my tail light with an LED. This is what I found.
    2pcs T10 2825 5-SMD WHITE LED Wedge Bulb Map Dome - eBay (item 250778234529 end time Apr-23-11 17:03:01 PDT)

Its a direct replacement for the tail lights. It has 5 SMD super bright white LEDs. The light they emit is about the same as a regular incandescent T-10 light.

It looks like this 9 LED version will fit also. I might go ahead and buy them.
    T10 5050 9SMD LED CAR WEDGE SIDE LIGHT BULBS WHITE LAMP - eBay (item 190501121305 end time Apr-12-11 19:06:08 PDT)

I'm going to try to replace all lights with LEDs if I can ever find good replacements. If any one has done all the work in replacing everything please let me know what you bought. I know for the turn signal lights I will need a new relay but what I'm looking for in replacements is something that has about the same light output as the originals.

2 people like this.
  2. Dolce_Vita

Dolce_Vita Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So are they just direct replacements for the standard bulb? Do i install them just as you would for a new bulb? (is that a hard process in itself? i have zero technical knowledge)

3. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Its just a drop in replacement. You dont have to do anything special with the tail light.

4. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've heard LEDs on the Prius tails are one of the more fickle components. Keep us updated if anything blows or melts.

5. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    How bright are they????

That's a minor important feature!

Pics, pics, we want pics!!! :D

6. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry no pics. But when I replaced the front side markers the LEDs looks slightly brighter. Also the 9 LED version does not look like it will fit for the side markers but should for the tail lights.

I bought 6 of them. The two extras I used for the dome/map lights. I think a 9 LED version will fit here too but the 5 LED version is plenty bright and brighter than the originals.

I may get some pictures if I feel like it. Trust me. If I was not happy with the LEDs I would tell you. I want them to look as bright as the originals and I believe that they are. I'm very happy so far.

I'm currently looking at replacing the rest of the lights. Based on the brightness of these LEDs I think I can pretty much guess what I need to get for the others now. I dont know what I'm going to get for the license plate light as those really need to be angled. I may just do what Darell did. Prius License LED

I may just start a new topic when I get everything replaced and list what I bought.

1 person likes this.
  7. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You don't need to do what Darell did. All you need is a 5-LED high powered wedge (4 on side, 1 on the top). When you put the bulb into the socket and twist to lock it, the bulb actually ends up at an angle such that 2 of the 4-side diodes shine onto your plate at an angle (vs 1 of the 4-side bulbs shining straight down). As you know, the 5th diode on top is virtually useless as the light goes nowhere but we expect that anyway. But anyway, a 5-LED bulb will give you a perfectly good spread of light.

Please do, we can always use threads like that. :)

8. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OK. I think I might just use the 5 LED for the plate then. I also just found some that are called flank. LEDs on one side pointed down. May get some of those just to compare while I'm at it since they are pretty cheap.

9. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Cool. Just be careful if you use/buy flank LEDs (unidirectional) - you'll want to make sure that when you twist and lock it in the socket, it's pointing in the right direction - down. This is a particular concern if the bulb is polarized, since there's now a 50/50 chance the bulb could shine the wrong way. I could be looking at this all wrong though, as they may have designed the bulb with this in mind. But in any case, a 5 LED wedge definitely will cover your bases, and you won't likely need to concoct any barn-door apparatus to acheive a perfect shine.

10. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Oh also, do you have a link for these flank LEDs? Are they like Darell's or something else? Thanks.

11. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm looking at the flank LEDs on ebay right now and I dont really see one I like. I think I will just stick with the 5 led for the plate. I'm sure at night they will be just fine.

12. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    All the flank LEDs I found on ebay I had concerns wouldn't fit in the space. They looked too long. Really, to be safe, you're working with a space of 25mm. Nothing looked like what Darell made. I wanted Darell's.

Wow my english is bad today.

13. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah. Thats kind of what I'm finding. A standard t10 bulb just barley fits in the plate light area. Looks like just enough room for the 5 LED that I bought.

14. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    White rather than red?

Mine are in transit, I will post pictures when I install them.

15. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I chose white since the original tail light bulb is clear. The color comes from the lens around the light.

16. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  17. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Incandescent bulbs produce light throughout the spectrum, LED produce on a much narrow range. Thus a white bulb produces light which has a lot of red in it, a LED might have very little actual red light emitted. After the filter (lens), the LED might be pretty dim. I would check to make sure.

A red LED on the other hand will not be substantially filtered by the lens, and the full brightness will make it out. see: Light-emitting diode - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

1 person likes this.
  18. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I agree with Corwyn. If you're using for brake/tail lights, you really should go with RED LEDs to match the lens. You will have less light filtered out by the lens and a deeper red color. Same for turn signals, etc. Use whatever color matches the cover for a deeper color and a little more light.

19. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I wouldn't for the reverse lights. Try finding one that has a larger LED on the top, that will put out more light directly behind the car. For the turn signals, ehhh, not as much of an issue because of the nature of their use.

Something along these lines for Reverse Bulb:
    3 Watt Luxeon 7440/7443 Bulb Specifications

or

High Power 3-LED 16mm Wedge Bulb Specifications

20. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Using a LED bulb for the turn signal requires adding a resistor to the circuit to correct the blink rate.

I used red 9-LED bulbs in my wife's 2008 Prius. Both original bulbs had burned out at 30k miles of continuous day and night use.