1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

LED turn signal review

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by spiderman, Nov 17, 2012.

1. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi all,
    Purchased a set of LED turn signal bulbs a while back but wasn't really satisfied with the output. So I just recently got another set. The first set uses 21 - 5050 SMDs. You would think that would at least come close to the OEM incandescent bulb. But no. I have to admit though, Toyota's OEM signal bulbs are very bright.
    The new set (GP7440-CREE-12A) I purchased has 12 - 5050 SMDs with one 5W CREE unit, plus a projector lens. These are much better and are pretty close to the output of the OEM bulbs. The build quality of these are very good. There is no way they "double" the light output as they advertise but would say they make a suitable replacement for the OEM bulbs. The big test is to see what they look like when the sun is on them. I won't have an opportunity to do this for a while.

The following are photos and some videos. Enjoy.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

LO LED video by spideyatwork - Photobucket (Low output LED)

Incondecent video by spideyatwork - Photobucket (OEM incandescent bulbs)

HO LED video by spideyatwork - Photobucket (High output LED)

Hope this helps.

Tracksyde and mnml like this.
  2. mnml

mnml Ain't nobody got time for that.

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Those are pretty bright. Do you have them installed in the rear as well? Would love to see a video of it if you do.

3. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes, rear as well. I was really hoping for super bright like some of the BMWs I see driving around... Oh well, those cost 3x as much. ;)
    Will try to get a video of the rear sometime.

4. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I had some of those Cree 5w + 12 5050 SMD LED lights with projector lens in the H11 flavor installed in my OEM foglights used as DRLs (amber color). In the bright noon sunlight (Hawaii), they were difficult to see.

When I took them out, the projector lens had some melting/haze on them, so the lenses must be plastic not glass. But my Crees were burning for extended periods and not used as flashers like yours will, so you should be OK in that regard.

The other thing about those Cree LEDs with projector lenses was they were highly directional, with the brightest light thrown out at a narrow angle due to the lens. The 12 5050 SMD LEDs really didn't put out much light. So I suspect that only people directly in front of the bulbs will actually see the light output, and that they really won't see much from the sides or from a wider angle that's not covered by the 5W Cree LED.

Edit: I just watched your vids. You can tell that the incandescent bulbs put out a lot more light than even the HO one. You can see a lot more "flare" in the camera's lens from all the light hitting the lens with the incandescent lights. You'll just have to take it out in the sun and see if the decreased brightness is acceptable to you.

5. Adam Leibovitch

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Wait where do I get the ones that cost 3x as much? Are they much brighter?

6. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    lol, no, the BMWs are 3x the cost of the prius. I looked at a BMW Friday and the turn signals appear to be built into the headlight housing, not an actual bulb.

Adam Leibovitch likes this.
  7. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    All good points. I think the color temp of your "white" bulbs were close enough the sun as to make then un-noticable. I has the same problem with my reverse LED bulbs. Amber is a little different.

Thanks for pointing out the plastic lenes.... I didn't think to check that. Will the next time I have the out.

Fortunately the primary viewing angle for the turn singals is head-on. Definately side throw is important but I would think the 12 SMDs should do the trick. Will find out.

Yes, the Toy OEM bulbs are amazingly bright. If I didn't really like the LEDs, I wouldn't have replaced em.

8. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That's the thing, I had the amber colored LEDs. Here's some pics:

This one is taken in late afternoon with the Prius shaded in the garage. The 5w Cree LEDs look pretty good:
    [​IMG]

This pic was taken midday in full sun. The LEDs look brighter to the eye in real life than they show up in the pictures. However, the pic shows how the sun washes out the lights and you can see in this pic how the projector lens on the light is illuminating only the central portion of the outside lens cover.
    [​IMG]

This pic is of some H8 35w halogen yellow bulbs I modified to fit the H11 mounting holes (stock H11 = 55w). Pic taken in full sun, you can tell the sun was much more intense in this pic than the previous pic by seeing how much more glare is reflecting near the front emlem. Notice how much brighter the lights are, though the color is very light yellow in appearance. Again, the lights look brighter in real life and doesn't show up well in pictures:
    [​IMG]

Just trying to keep it "real" for everyone... don't expect the LEDs to be anywhere near what incandescent bulbs give you. They'll look ok in the evening, and maybe on overcast days, but they are definitely not as bright in full sun.

spiderman and mnml like this.
  9. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes, that is a very important point and I hope I conveyed that in my OP. I am sure someday soon someone will produce a widely available, affordable, high-powered/intensity LED turn signal bulb for our situation. One that exceeds the OEM bulb.

Thanks for posting the pictures!

xliderider likes this.
  10. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks, I agree, here's to hoping that light output from LEDs can someday rival incandescent/halogen bulbs while producing less heat and consuming less power. Hey, we can dream right? ;)

spiderman likes this.
  11. lopgok

lopgok Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    LEDs are more efficient than incandescent bulbs. Unfortunately, a 5w LED is expensive and needs serious heat sinking, while a 20w incandescent is dirt cheap and needs no heatsinking.

For select exterior applications, LEDs make sense.
    I replaced the license plate bulbs in my PiP with a 4 led 5050 bulb that puts all the LEDs on the right side.
    I replaced the 4 front 5w bulbs with LEDs for my PiP.
    I replaced some 1057 bulbs in my tacoma with a 20 led 5050 array.
    I bought a 5w cree backup LED for my tacoma; hopefully it will be bright enough.

LEDs today are most efficient with a 'cool' white color around 6000K. Red and amber LEDs are less efficient.
    It will take a while until you can replace turn signals with LEDs that are reasonably bright and inexpensive :-(

12. Tracksyde

Tracksyde Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  13. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I kicked myself for not getting the equivalent in the H11 bulbs when shopping around for my foglight DRL project. I decided to buy from a seller in Canada vs. one in China. The Canadian seller only had the H11 with the 5w Cree on top and the 5050 LEDs at the base. I paid about the same price as the ones you linked to.

14. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Kind of the same situation, just one 5W facing forward. Probably a lot of side throw but like you mentioned, what is the point is you are exceeding consumption the OEM bulb.