1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

LEDs emerge to fight fluorescents

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by hb06, May 14, 2007.

1. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Marlin @ May 14 2007, 11:42 AM) [snapback]441803[/snapback]</div>
    In general this is quite true. The thing is, the fixture can be designed to eliminate any of these problems. The beauty of LEDs are that they CAN be directional. Usually we don't really want a sphere of light. It car dome lights, for example, more than half the light is just thrown away. Use an LED, and almost all of it goes in the proper direction. For home lighting, you can choose where you want the light, or use several LEDs facing every which way. So the directionality part is true, it can be a benefit, and it can be modified to mimic an incandescent.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fshagan @ May 14 2007, 08:26 PM) [snapback]442139[/snapback]</div>
    As an absolute, this makes no sense. We can make LED fixtures as bright as incandescent fixtures. They're now being used in automotive healights. And many communities are using them for street lights. You are likely thinking of older technlogy, and the use of many 5mm emitters as were used to make "super bright" flashlights of yesteryear. Today we have emitters that give off more lumens per watt than the best compact fluorescents. The only stumble now is cost, and that too is dropping rapidly. An emitter that cost $15 just two years ago, is now $4.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bill Merchant @ May 14 2007, 11:46 PM) [snapback]442255[/snapback]</div>
    Whit is the one that has given the industry the most problem. Blue is really no issue. I have five shades of blue here. From UV to turquois. Blue hasn't been an issue for quite some time.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qbee42 @ May 15 2007, 08:36 AM) [snapback]442437[/snapback]</div>
    Yup. Incandescents need heat to operate. LEDs produce "waste" heat that needs to be removed for proper operation. Whole different animal. But as the emitters become more efficient, they can be run at lower current, and produce less heat. The fixture needs to be made for the LEDs, of course.

2. jimnjo

jimnjo Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ May 19 2007, 06:37 PM) [snapback]445847[/snapback]</div>

When I became aware of the mercury issue I did a quick search. I don't know if the specific statistics you mention turned up, but a google of 'mercury compact fluorescent' will bring you some peace of mind in any event. The amount of mercury in the newer bulbs is much reduced, according to a recent radio report, and manufacturers are looking for ways to further decrease or substitute.

Jim

3. Devil's Advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The real problem with CF fixtures is, except for some very expensive versions with special ballast, you cannot dim or control the overall brightness of the fixture. (also except for some CF 3-way bulbs, about $10 at Home Despot)

The ability of an incandescent bulb to be dimmed make it nearly as efficient as a CF (when not always used at its full wattagge)

Plus dimming a bulb is cool for setting "the mood"

So if LED's can dim the would have my vote over CF