1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Left Foot Bumped E-Brake While Driving Down Highway

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by crellion, Sep 24, 2010.

1. crellion

crellion Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This was quite unusual for me, but while I was driving down afternoon highway traffic, my left resting-feet accidentally bumped onto the e-brake. My Prius made a single beeping sound, but I don't think I fully depressed the brake at all so it kept on rolling and the e-brake light never stayed on.

I wonder if that did any damage to my Prius at all with a slight depress of the e-brake or if it wasn't anything at all?

Sorry - I take care of my baby Prius like a princess...

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    nothing to worry about.

3. crellion

crellion Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Frankly - that is one of the annoying things of about the E-Brake, it's so close to the left foot rest pad, that I'm afraid of hitting it from time-to-time. But one good habit I do keep up with is using it every-time I park - because I heard that helps prevent the E-Brake from corroding from long-term non-use...

From what I've been reading - the 2010 Prius E-Brake is not modulated. So it's either on-or-off. So a slight depress on the E-Brake shouldn't actually engage it unless it was depressed all the way right?

4. LulzChicken

LulzChicken Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Pretty much - you have absolutely nothing to worry about. All the beep meant was that the parking break was engaged and you were also driving. Don't worry about it one bit. Park in your garage, depress the parking break, and try to push your car or get it to "roll". It's not gonna happen. Parking break is fine.

5. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Wait a minute. You're saying that you're afraid you might -accidentally- press down hard on the -PARKING BRAKE- (it's not an e-brake people!) and actuate the rear brakes?
    What, you're a moron?
    Sorry. Having a hard time this morning being nice. ;)

6. ramdulari

ramdulari Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V

Let me guess...
    You either don't drive the Gen III, or your left leg's much shorter than your right! ;)

Sorry, having a hard time being nice myself too this morning...must be the air in NJ :focus:

7. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Personally, I think you could have stopped after the "left leg's much shorter" piece so yeah, a tad harsh.

And yeah, this must be a GenIII thing because I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around what the heck you guys are talking about.

As for the OP, it was established a long time ago that the Prius has multiple "sanity checks" that will keep you from damaging the car. For example, pressing [P] while driving on the interstate will illicit a beep and maybe throw you into [N] but will not engage the parking mechanism. Normally, the beep is Prius' way of telling you, "you did something abnormal; I'm aware of it but I'm just going to ignore you."

8. tedjohnson

tedjohnson Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I have not crawled under there yet, but I imagine that the parking brake on the Prius is like other cars in that it is a mechanical linkage to the rear brakes. Personally I much prefer the hand parking brake that can be modulated and backed off off from any position. If you accidently step on the Prius ebrake I am not sure how you would release it at speed, without fully engaging it. Anyone know how it really works?

9. crellion

crellion Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well from what Lulz confirmed, the "E-Brake" or "Parking Brake" (whatever it is :rolleyes:) is not modulated - meaning it is either on-or-off. On the other hand, a "modulated" brake would mean that any degree of depress on the brake would actually translate to a direct degree of tightness on the braking system. So I guess a modulated handbrake that was pulled only "half-way" would mean the parking brakes were actually applied "half-way."

I'm not a car-expert on this, but I think that is the logic right?

10. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Wouldn't very lightly touching the parking brake (which won't actually engage it) while driving cause it to beep? This is nothing to worry about.

I don't see how you can accidentally depress it. You basically have to lift your foot to a pretty high, uncomfortable position in order to hit it. Way too uncomfortable to mistake it for a foot rest.

11. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I accidently hit the parking brake with my foot a while back, with the car in motion, and yes, the car will beep at you. I thanked the car and continued driving.

Here's another good one - I used the hatch button to unlock all of the doors so my wife and daughter could get into the car. After driving for a few minutes the dreaded "Master Warning Light" as well as a few others came on, AND the personal (map) lights started flashing on and off. The car continued to run as normal. I stopped, scratched my head for a second, turned the car off and back on, and continued driving. Well, the same thing happened again. And again. After sufficient head scratching I realized I hadn't opened the hatch, just hit the button to unlock the doors, which also unlocked the hatch. After opening and closing the hatch the world was a happy place again...

A simple "Door Ajar" light would have been sufficient, at least to help narrow down the problem. All of the dashboard lights and flashing map lights didn't really help, they just served to spook me out a bit until I realized what a dumba** I was. :rolleyes:

Live and learn...

12. crellion

crellion Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah for me it was just my left-leg was stiff after being on the highway for so long and after my left foot came down after the flexing, it bumped the e-brake/parking brake, but not a full-depress and the car beeped. But again, from what I've been reading in this thread - a "full-depress" is required to even engage the e-brake/parking brake... Thus the "beeping" of the Prius served as a warning that you are in danger of engaging the e-brake/parking brake but doesn't mean the e-brake/parking brake actually engaged itself yet. Correct me if I'm wrong guys! (I know this is going down to nitty-gritty details - but I like it! :D)

13. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    That has been my observation.

14. mad-dog-one

mad-dog-one Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----
    If your Fuel economy remained good, the e-brake was not engaged.

15. Flaninacupboard

Flaninacupboard Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    what the hell is an e-brake anyway?

16. jburns

jburns Senior Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Stop thinking digitally and its simple. An e-brake is what people who are spelling challenged or lazy type instead of emergency brake.

17. Flaninacupboard

Flaninacupboard Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Then I change my question, what the hell is an emergency brake?

18. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Same thing as parking brake or hand brake (except in the Prius it's a foot brake).

19. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Well, perhaps I can make up for my snippy remark earlier and explain.

The -parking brake- (I won't call it an e-brake because you can't use it as a brake when moving as you can't modulate it) actuates the rear calipers in direct proportion to how hard you press down the pedal.
    You can release it from any depth of depression by hitting it again with your foot.
    There is a switch on the arm the pedal is connected to. That switch is used in the logic that is the Prius to warn you that you are moving faster than about 15 km/hr (guess here as I've only done it once) with the parking brake engaged. The car doesn't know how much it is engaged.

Now, with the car stopped on a level surface!, try engaging the parking brake lightly. Put the car in "N" (it will complain, ignore it). Get out and try pushing the car. You will find you can move the car against the parking brake unless you depress it very hard. Keep this in mind when you are parking on a hill.

So, with this knowledge, now know that if you "touch" the parking brake pedal whilst moving it won't do much (other than beep at you).

Also, until the brakes are fully "seated" (the pads worn to match the rotors) you will do even less. It takes a long time to "seat" the rear pads as they aren't used very much. Regeneration takes a lot of braking away from the friction brakes, and the fact that the rear brakes on the Prius do about 10% of the braking removes even more. Driving a short distance with the parking brake on would probably do more good than harm!

20. mainerinexile

mainerinexile No longer in exile!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    My single biggest complaint about a Prius (and I DO like my Prius) is that it DOESN'T have an emergency brake. I'll take a good ol' hand brake from my Matrix or Corolla any day over the ^%$%#&* US automaker-style footbrake in the Prius.

Prius team, are you listening?