1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Left High Beam, Low Beam, and Side Marker Light Simultaneously Out

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by FairhopePrius, Oct 11, 2014.

1. FairhopePrius

FairhopePrius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    We just bought our first Prius about six weeks ago. We purchased a used 2008 model with 83,000 miles. So far we have loved the vehicle. Tonight as we were driving home we noticed that the left headlight was out. I ran some quick tests and determined that the left high beam, low beam, and side marker light were all unresponsive. The left blinker is working fine. I checked the fuses for the left lamp (separate fuses for low and high beam) and all seem to be in good working order. Everything on the right side of the car is working fine.

Any thoughts? I am concerned I might be looking at an expensive electrical issue? I did read a post on the forum where someone said that carbon buildup can sometime cause the low beam and high beam to fail simultaneously, but could not find additional details.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

2. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I could understand the headlights being out but the side markers too? Hmm. Has there been any accident damage? Do you have a mice problem?

Often mice like to make a nest in/on your cabin air filter. Take it out and have a look.

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. Does your car have HID headlights or halogen headlights? (Clue: if your car has factory fog lights then it also has HID headlights.)
    2. Have you tried replacing the bulbs yet? Certainly the side marker bulb is inexpensive to replace.
    3. If your car has HID headlights then there is only one light. A mirror/shutter assembly shifts the beam up and down for high vs. low beam.

BobbyBraxton likes this.
  4. TampaPrius.com

TampaPrius.com Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Most likely a coincidence.

High beam and low beam are the same bulb and the side marker lights go out all the time. Almost every car I get has at least one side marker out.

xpcman likes this.
  5. FairhopePrius

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Thanks for the advice. I started by checking with the cabin filter. No mice problems but thought it would still be a good thing to check. Dirty but no mice. Replaced the filter. The vehicle does have HID lights and it does make sense that both the HID and side marker could be out. It seems unlikely that we would have noticed the side marker light being out right away so it could have been out for a week or two. I purchased replacements at advanced auto parts for $6. Easy install and that light is working now. Advanced said the HID bulbs were $200 each and encouraged me to look for a less expensive option online. Just purchased one for $44 on Amazon. Should be here Monday.

Should I replace the other HID bulb now too or should I wait for it to go out first?

Thanks again to each of you for the help.

Matthew

6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Wait for the HID bulb to go out.

I hope you bought a genuine Philips bulb, not a generic brand.

7. FairhopePrius

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Received HID bulb yesterday. It was a genuine Philips bulb. Install took me a few minutes to accomplish with my big hands but ultimately went well.

Will wait for the right side to burn out before replacing. Thanks again everyone for your help.

8. BobbyBraxton

BobbyBraxton Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    We purchased Prius (new) last day of March 2005. We must have Halogen headlight(s). The Left side LOW beam only is out, noticed recently (we got a state Safety inspection around end of October, so it must have happened since then). The HIGH beam is fine (both sides). What do I need to do? and how much should it cost (dealer maintained). Mileage is less than 106,000 - we are only owners - no accident(s).

9. TampaPrius.com

TampaPrius.com Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The high and low beam are the same bulb. The low has burned out.

You can get a bulb at a local auto parts store, eBay or Amazon. Brand is not as important with non HID bulbs. The sylvania is a good bulb #9003HB2 H4. $10-$12 You should get both or you may find the new one is brighter.

10. Yakoma

Yakoma Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Use surgical gloves if you have them but in any case avoid handling the bulbs with your bare hands or touching them on anything that would leave any type of residue during the installation process.