1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Left prius in idle overnight to test the result

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by NathanielRH, Mar 16, 2016.

1. NathanielRH

NathanielRH New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Couldn't find much on google.
    "Uses more power." <- OK
    "Recommend putting it in park." <- did that
    "Recommend just turn off the engine." <- (why? This curiosity led to me trying this.)
    "ICE will charge the battery if it starts to get low." <- this comfort encouraged my curiosity.

Note: My battery is used, old, and on its deathbed. I wouldn't have tried it with a new battery. But because it's old, my curiosity remains unquenched.

The HV battery died overnight.

QUESTION: If the battery were new, would it have died overnight? Anyone else ever test this or know someone who tested this? If you answer, please specify personal or if this is information you received from someone else.

2. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    No, a new battery wouldn't have died overnight unless you really tried to drain it.

I have left the car in "Ready" mode overnight to keep the air conditioning running. In that case, the gas engine runs when the battery's state of charge requires it, otherwise it turns off.

As far as I know, there's no way to casually make the engine idle constantly overnight. If yours did that, something is wrong, but it sounds like you already know that.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome nate! plenty of threads here for you to read about people who sleep in their prius with the car on 'ready' and hvac set to 'comfort'. or others who leave the on to use as a generator.
    it won't hurt them because it's the same as driving. prius takes care of itself. just make sure you're in park, and not neutral. all the best!(y)

4. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    A Prius is a great ups source of power. You can tap into the 200v hybrid battery and grab its 200volt dc output. Buy a 200 dc volt input Inverter (most efficient) and your all set for hurricane.

Leave the Prius in READY and it will supply UPS power indefinitely (or until it runs out of gas).

Btw, you can make the engine run continuously in INSPECTION MODE. Go on youtube and search Prius Inspection Mode.

5. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...so now what?

6. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Kind of wondering what the point of the whole "test" was?
    Seems to me all you discovered is something on it's deathbed is likely to die.

7. Eastside

Eastside Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    There are at least two ways for setting the Engine (ICE) in continuous idle:
    Hobbit's method is here, Prius base idle .
    I haven't tried the versions(s) on YouTube. Hobbit's is simple.

wjtracy likes this.