1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Left Prius on for 5 days!

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Justin Belsly, Nov 9, 2018.

1. Justin Belsly

Justin Belsly New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    I went on vacation and came home to find my Prius has been on in my garage for a full five days. It showed there was no gas in the tank, but the car was still on apparently using battery power. I was going to move it and it moved when I put it into reverse. I am going to fill it up tomorrow but I am nervous I messed something up since the gas ran all the way out. Help!

2. Since2002

Since2002 Senior Lurker

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I wouldn't recommend driving to the gas station, you should bring gas to your car. Even if you have enough battery power to make it to a gas station you risk damaging the traction battery.

Although it looks like you posted this message last night so maybe you have already gone and filled up, if so how did it go?

Also I think someone here said that if you run out of gas you can't just add a gallon, it has to be three or something, and you also have to reset the system by disconnecting the battery. Don't know if that will be the case for you but if you add a gallon and it won't start ICE that might be the problem.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  3. CooCooCaChoo

CooCooCaChoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    How did you leave it on for 5 days? Did you leave the fob within range?

4. Since2002

Since2002 Senior Lurker

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not sure that would make a difference anyway, unless you have experienced that your car shuts off if you walk away from it when it is running? A co-worker of mine with a Lexus couldn't find his car keys one day, had everyone in the office looking for it although he said he only went to his desk and the restroom since he arrived. I said do you think you may have left them on the roof of your car when you left from home (knowing that he did that type of thing all the time), he said that is quite possible but he said he didn't think he would have been able to drive away from his house without his key fob. I said try it. The next day he said I was right, he said he did a test with his second key fob (he never found the first one) after starting the car he opened the window and handed the key fob to his wife and drove off with no problem. He called Lexus and told them he should get a free replacement, he told them the keys fell out the door (could be so he wasn't exactly lying) and that the car should have at least given him a warning on the screen that the fob was no longer detected when he drove off. They agreed and gave him a replacement for free. Not saying that will work for everyone.

alanclarkeau and Mendel Leisk like this.
  5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Another scenario: you and the missus go for a drive, say both of you going to work. She drops you off and carries on to her work. If you had a fob, and she'd forgotten hers, as long as she didn't turn the car off at your drop off point, the car would continue to run just fine, until she arrived at her destination and shut it off.

alanclarkeau and Since2002 like this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    pretend you were camping

7. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    :D (y)

8. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It'll start with the FOB - then keep running without the FOB. I think it turns off too. There are several reports of it happening.

Hubby drops himself at work, has FOB in pocket, wife drives off in car. She turns it off at the shop, comes back, won't unlock, won't start (not sure if it actually locked - possibly that's when it started it's antics). But it wouldn't drive, so one of them has to UBER to re-introduce the FOB to the car.

9. Al Bundy

Al Bundy Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    youre lucky the house was empty or you would have killed everyone in it from the carbon monoxide

10. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    There ain't no carbon monoxide coming out of my tailpipe! It's a PRIUS! (Did they lie about it being "green?")

11. Al Bundy

Al Bundy Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    yes they lied! they really dont get the MPG on the stickers either, ITS ALL LIES TO SELL YOU A CAR AND THE ONLY THING GREEN IS THE PAINT... if you bought a green one