1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Left side mirror snapped off

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by joehead, Jun 18, 2010.

1. joehead

joehead New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My wife pulled left side mirror in before going into car wash and the folding mechanism snapped and broke; was hanging there with wire inside still intact, connected to mirror housing and still working. It appeared that the inside aluminum (or alloy?) casting broke. Little force was used, as she is a small petite woman. Dealer said not under warranty, as this is an outside moving part. I do not agree it was not under warranty, but of course we had to have it fixed to use the vehicle. Although mirror and housing were intact, were told we needed to replace entire unit. Dealer replaced it for $270 parts and $125 labor. Part number 87940-47180 described as Mirror Assy, Oute.....
    I requested to have broken part back before repair was made. When I picked up car, dealer said it was in trash and they could not find it. I checked the replaced unit thoroughly and it appears they did NOT replace the plastic housing, (tape residue still there from my temporarily taping unit together to avoid it bouncing around dangling on door) but it appears I was charged for it.

I am upset it is not covered under bumper to bumper warranty; this is brand new vehicle. Also upset they charged for part(s) not changed. Can anyone suggest what course of action I have? The only person I spoke with was the Service Manager at dealership, to no avail, although all of a sudden he told me over the phone he "found the parts" and would give them to me.

2. stevemcelroy

stevemcelroy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sorry to hear about your problem. However I would likely agree that this is not something covered under the warranty unless you can conclusively prove that it was defective - sorry I'd be steamed too if it happened to me.

As for the dealership not returning the old parts - not great service at the least and perhaps more if you think that they did indeed reuse some of the old mirror. If it were me I'd give them a lousy review on Yelp and find another place to take my car.

1 person likes this.
  3. Politburo

Politburo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    You'll have to try the corporate customer service. 800-331-4331.

1 person likes this.
  4. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    +1

Sorry to hear about the bad experience.

I am also surprised that it is not under warranty. Maybe check the booklet to make sure?

Another dealer rating site is DealerRater.com.

Moderator may want to move this to Gen III.

5. sktn77a

sktn77a Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The only part they could have possibly not replaced is the painted plastic cover ($40.00). Maybe they were trying to save you some money? There's no way that mirror could have broken as you describe - that's one REAL sturdy assembly which is why it only comes as a complete unit. Sounds like it had already been broken and just became obvious when she tried to fold it flush. However, if the car is brand new as you say, I'm surprized the dealer didn't goodwill the replacement. Did you take it back to the place you bought it?