1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Left speakers went out.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Adam W, Jan 23, 2023.

1. Adam W

Adam W New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Started my gen 2, 08 and heard a bit of static from front dash speaker and then nothing. Have adjusted my fader and balance. All the speakers on the left side are silenced. Any thoughts? I generally play podcasts with an FM transmitter via Bluetooth. Thanks for any responses, the problem fairly annoying.

2. comatoes

comatoes #GreenLife

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I recently lost all 4 door speakers with no sound. The front tweeters still work. Everything on my head unit works as expected. I did the stealth install. I read Only tweeters working on 2007 Prius | PriusChat

"it does sound like a toasted head unit. the tweeters are on the same wires as the front door speakers, so that's not likely a wiring issue, and all 4 speakers aren't going to have wiring issues at the exact same time. silver lining is that now you have a reason to replace the factory garbage with a quality head unit, something which Toyota didn't offer."

Dude replaced the head unit to no avail.

Ended up being the speakers: "Amazingly, It was the speakers!! Actually tested all 4 speakers with my radio in my house, no noice and no reading on a multimeter at all. and then took a house speaker and tested with car wires and worked great... Never would've thought all 4 would be dead. the new rockford fosgates from Crutchfield should be here Friday."

I never replaced my speakers and it's a 2007 so I might try to test the speakers before I rip the dash apart since it's a pain.

3. Adam W

Adam W New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Alrighty, I’ll keep that in mind. Not sure how I’m gonna test the speakers since I don’t own a wired stereo. Yeah would be weird if all my left speaker’s blew at the same time but apparently not impossible.

4. comatoes

comatoes #GreenLife

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My plan is to get to the wiring then run a voltmeter or hook up one of the aiwa house speakers I hope I can find. It's weird, when my audio went out I was watching a youtube video and double tapped to seek back then all my speakers went out. But the tweeters still work.

5. Adam W

Adam W New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Update … There is minimal sound coming from left tweeter (cranked at full volume can hear some audio), driver panel speaker dead and same rear driver side. I swapped my left and right tweeters and same issue so it’s not the speaker well at least for the tweeter.

Any ideas? Non-JBL system on 2008 Prius Gen 2.

6. Adam W

Adam W New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I checked all my fuses associated with the stero. They seem ok. Anyone know how I could test my head unit without yanking it out? Any other suggestions?

7. comatoes

comatoes #GreenLife

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I hooked up a house speaker which played through the door wiring so I knew it was the speaker. I replaced all 4 door speakers and it's working great now. I had sound coming out of the two tweeters but they were very quiet (I doubt they actually do much). I did find if the tweeter is unplugged the door speaker doesn't work. (I was thinking about unhooking the tweeters since they sound like crap, but then the door speakers don't work) I would suggest getting a simple 2 wire house speaker and hooking it up to the door connection and test it before you rip out the dash. I had people suggest it was the head unit when it wasn't and saved me quite a bit of labor.

8. Adam W

Adam W New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I swapped my front tweeters (left to right and right to left) with same issue. No sound from left speakers.

9. comatoes

comatoes #GreenLife

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So your issue is driver side front and rear speaker not working? The tweeter swap would just tell you that the tweeters are probably fine. Your 2 left side speakers could be bad, or wiring, or possibly head unit. If you don't have a 2 wire speaker, you could test with a multimeter if you have that.

10. Adam W

Adam W New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    It’s all of them drivers side. Thinking it’s not the speakers because the tweeter works fine when installed on the passenger side though I haven’t yanked the driver side door speakers. Should I just yank the head unit at this point or is there another area of interest that could be faulty?

11. comatoes

comatoes #GreenLife

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My tweeters were "working" but they don't sound great when my four door speakers were all bad. I don't think the tweeters working mean that the door speakers are not broken. I would suggest trying to get a 2 wire speaker to test the door speakers. But, if you want to pull the head unity you could I just don't know how to test it. I supposed you could use a voltmeter on the pins but it would have to be powered on and that is only ruling out 1 problem (the head unit) instead of ruling out the head unit, wires and speakers by trying another speaker in the door. I replaced the door speakers with $25/pair speakers
    . You might be able to buy a cheap used speaker off ebay to test or just get a door speaker to test. But it's up to you.

12. Adam W

Adam W New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Alright I can replace the left door speakers but left tweeter doesn’t work either but does work when I move it to the right so at the very least I know the wiring is jacked up there. Given they all the left side it seemed like a good clue wiring is the issue. But sure I’ll rip off the door panel and test the wiring/speaker for the left since nobody seems to have a better answer.