1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

legally drive home used car purchased out of state?

Discussion in 'Private Sales' started by wddanie, Nov 13, 2009.

1. wddanie

wddanie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I plan to buy a used Prius from a private owner in another state (WV) from a private owner. How can I legally drive it back to my home in Georgia? I'd prefer to pay the owner a deposit, fly up there and examine it and pay them the full amount if the car matches their description. But in this scenario, I just have the title signed over to me and a car with no tag and a 10 hour drive in front on me.

A friend bought an out of state car and had it shipped to Atlanta and then took it for emissions testing and then took the title to the DMV office and quickly got a new tag for it, but shipping was expensive and took 2 weeks, plus they did not get to look the car over before making the full payment. I'd prefer not to follow that procedure.

How do you other buyers handle this problem?

Thanks,

Doug

legally drive home used car purchased out of state?

2. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I bought my first Prius from a dealer in WV they have temporary tags for 30 days so you can drive it home. Since your getting yours from a private owner I assume you'd have to go to the DMV or a notary to get the temp. tags.

3. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    AAA would sure be a BIG help....

4. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    deleted, miss read post

5. Aegison

Aegison Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I think the answer will vary state by state.

I live in Michigan, and when I bought a car in Chicago some years ago, provided I had insurance on it, Michigan law provides a couple of days to drive the car home by the most direct route. I put a notice to that effect on the inside of the back window and was never questioned by police cars I encountered.

Apparently, most states reciprocate on these kinds of matters, so I was able to drive in Illinois, Indiana, and then Michigan to get it home. But no going for a joy ride after that until you have it registered. If I recall correctly, having looked into the Michigan provision, only Mass doesn't reciprocate with other states.

I then did the same thing with a car I bought in New York -- drove it home with no problems, though I could, if I remember right, either use the Michigan provision, or go to a NY DMV office for their version of a temporary permit.

So, you could first check what your state's provisions are, and if they don't have something similar to Mich, then see what W Va law provides.

Also check with your insurer -- mine provides automatic coverage for [some number of days - I don't remember how many] on a used car you buy. But it's also pretty easy to get an insurance certificate on it by fax or email, and to simply not use it if the car isn't ok, and cancel with the insurance co.

My impression is that most states have some way to cover this situation, though some require getting a temporary permit at a DMV or similar state office.

The other issue is state sales taxes. Going by memory, a few states charge because you bought the car there, and you get a credit against your own state's sales tax. But I think more states let you simply pay the tax at home when you register it. More research, I guess.

Good luck!

Rick

6. mgb4tim

mgb4tim Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    there are DMV offices in most larger cities that will get youa temporary tag. What city are you buying the car from? I know Clarksburg and Morgantown have DMV offices.

7. timtim2008

timtim2008 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    did you buy it?

you can drive it home, if you have valid insurance on it, if youre stoped by police, just show your bill of sale, and your insurace card... they will usualy let u go.