1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Lemon-Aide Car guide claims against Hybrids

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by technoratic, May 11, 2009.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Curious, I found his web page:

LemondAidCars.com - Phil Edmonston's LemonAid Guides

At the bottom, he has "Copyright 2006." So the obvious question is whether nor it is worthwhile to share this with him:
    • 'fuel economy can be 40 percent worse' - simply make reference to www.fueleconomy.gov with both the EPA rating and the user reported mileage.
    • 'battery replacement cost' - is a function of model, send him the latest announcements from Toyota on the price reduction for Prius traction batteries.
    • 'electric motor ... failure rate' - cite the NHTSA failure rates of different componets
    • 'retail prices' - pass on the current MSRP for different models in the same EPA class of vehicles
    • 'resale values' - list Ebay completed sales for Prius and similar class vehicles
    His biggest complaint is resale value. This is where the EPA fleet studies with the life-cycle costs would be the best answer.

But then I ask, "Why this skeptic?" I have no investment in him, no reason to engage him. Perhaps someone might invite him to join the thread?

Bob Wilson

1 person likes this.
  2. technoratic

technoratic Newbie Prius Owner :)

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Its just weird that a respectable automotive adviser would be so against hybrids...it just smells of consipricy if you ask me :O

3. technoratic

technoratic Newbie Prius Owner :)

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    add to that, every car salesman I've talked to always steer me clear of the hybrid models...even though its their own product! example, the honda sales dude literally said I wouldn't like the Insight and sent me back to a civic....the toyota dude said probably better for me to get a corolla than look at the prius...why are they doing this??

4. Celtic Blue

Celtic Blue New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Sales droids generally steer you to what they have in excess on the lot.

5. Sandy

Sandy Hippi Chick

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes it's a hi tech scam, go buy a Ford...........

6. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    OK, I admit it's -possible- to get the Canadian fuel ratings. For example I submit the following:- I fuel up about 7 km from home. My tank average is currently about 4.8 l/100 km. Driving home from the station, not P&Ging, not doing anything but "driving normally", I usually get between 3.6 and 3.8 l/100 km. It's not downhill all the way, in fact it's level. But the car is already warm when I leave the station. When I fill up again the tank average is still 4.8 to 4.9 (currently - it will improve a bit when the weather warms up a little more). Yesterday I went to Southern Alberta to the Royal Tyrell Museum with three others in the car. Averaged 4.9 l/100 km on the highway at 100 km/hr down, but bucking a very strong headwind averaged 7 l/100 km on the way back! So your mileage WILL vary!! ;) BTW, it was SNOWING on the way back!

Yup, welcome to Alberta. :)

7. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Phil Edmonston does not appear to have a web form or e-mail address for contact or feedback. So it is difficult to engage in any sort of dialog by ordinary means. However, a letter to the editor of Montreal paper might work ... just I'm not Canadian.

Bob Wilson

8. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    with the crap he writes, i can see why he has no feedback options. probably did at one time and got tired of the negativity

9. 1SMUGLEX

1SMUGLEX I love the smug!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've noticed people that hate hybrids usually drive a horse, or something like a Model T......They use Beta tapes and still use a Commadore 64.... :D

10. CharlesJ

CharlesJ Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

Try one by email anyhow and see what happens. From time to time, I read way out of town letters in the local newspaper.:D