1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Lengthen Rear Hatch Strut

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by energyideas, Jun 15, 2018.

1. energyideas

energyideas Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If the back hatch glass is vertical I can stand up in the back provided spare tire compartment is empty. I camp in the Prius and would like to stand sometimes inside, 6'4". Strongarm strut replacement 4686 is 19.65 inches. I need something an inch or two longer, but still fits back down compressed.

Anyone have experience lengthening the strut on a gen 3? Did a search on this any nothing turned up. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

energyideas

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    not that i recall, most want to shorten it. all the best!(y)

3. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The stock struts are approximately 11.5” collapsed. The available stowage space for a longer strut is about 14” in a collapsed state.I’m afraid you’ll have to some experimenting. Even with the maximum allowable length, I not sure it will be enough to position the hatch completely vertical. You also have to factor in the added stress on the hinges with added length. The closer the struts start to get to perpendicular with the hatch position, the more problematic the Geometry becomes. Anyway, I wish you luck.

bisco likes this.