1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

lensovet's current and future mods thread

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by lensovet, Nov 25, 2012.

1. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    awesome, thanks for the tips on the suspension stuff! but horn? hmmm…

2. DadofHedgehog

DadofHedgehog Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    This is a very common mod for motorcyclists, who depend on good horns for survival amongst the freeway semis and the music-enveloped SUV drivers.

Reason for two: high-pitch penetrates better into well-insulated cabins, while low-pitch has good distance carry. Together, they pretty much get through most stuff that insulates the other driver.

Fiamm's Freeway Blasters are some of the loudest non-air horns out there (there are cheaper Fiamm models - look for "Freeway Blasters"). Fiamm marks their horn pitch by a cast "L" or "H" on the horn's trumpet flare.

Another choice is the red Hella horns, but they have only one pitch.

Think of these aftermarket horns as cheap insurance.

Separately, you mentioned something for the cargo area. I've had great luck with the Prius-designed Canvasback item. It's very easy to live with, covers every flat surface well, doesn't move, easy to remove to shake out, and handles the split seats well.

3. lensovet

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    thanks for the info. looks like the Fiamm horns are $15 each on amazon. question – how do you end up hooking two in the place of one, and is there room for them? (if you have a photo – would be much obliged).
    the canvasbacks look really attractive for two reasons – one, because they cover the seat backs, and two, because they'd restore access to the under-floor storage compartment, which i really miss. but my concerns are two-fold: one, how waterproof is this stuff, and two, more importantly, how resistant is it to cuts/tears? i know i'll be looking to put skis into the car very soon and i want to make sure i don't end up destroying the liner with them (the OEM cargo tray is definitely strong enough to withstand that).

4. Tracksyde

Tracksyde Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The car already has two horns. So you're just replacing the 2 that are there, one on each side. The wiring even all plugs into the new horn's connector so its just a matter of taking out the old and putting in the new. There's a thread in the Mods and Accessories forum.

But a quick run down is.. you remove the front emblem so you can stick your hand in there.. then remove the top plastic panel (its 4 clips IIRC) so you have access from the top. I had to also remove the hood latch so I could get my hand in there. But others have said you can get your hands in there if you really try.

EDIT: here's the thread I was talking about:

Horn Upgrade --- DIY | PriusChat

DadofHedgehog and lensovet like this.
  5. lensovet

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Awesome, thanks

6. DadofHedgehog

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I've had my Canvasback since Summer, hauled house building materials and also metals to the recycling point, plus assorted cr$p... never a tear. They are treated to be very water-resistant. Actually, pretty life-resistant. There's a post you can search on about people who carry other stuff on their Canvasback - that's what gave me the idea. BTW - mine looks brand new after a half year of cargo loads.
    Trackyside already covered the horns. The Fiamm horn instructions and the other thread cover the install pretty well.

7. lensovet

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    cool, thanks for the info and heads-up :)
    any chance you could snap a photo of your hatch setup? just curious.

8. DadofHedgehog

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Of course, I'll post tonight.

9. DadofHedgehog

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Lensovet, here are Canvasback pix: seats down, one seat down, both seats up, through the side door, and one Canvasback corner peeled back to show the stay-down Velcro.

BTW - when raising seat backs, then the seat back is in the 45 degree position, there's a cover panel on the back of the seat that lifts along with the seatback. I just tuck the Canvasback into the trough between the seat and the cover panel, so when the seat is fully raised, everything is tightly tucked in like on the "Seats up" picture.

Canvasback seats down.jpg

Attached Files:

dmaxwellh and lensovet like this.
  10. lensovet

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    thanks for the photos, much appreciated.
    quick question: why do you have the carpet mat under the canvasback? does the velcro not stick well to the factory "floor"?

11. DadofHedgehog

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Very observant of you. I did think of chucking the factory mat - and then decided to keep it, as it is a cushion layer under the CanvasBack and it doesn't get in the way of anything, and it's still pretty brand new. After I put the CanvasBack in, I had literally forgotten that the factory mat is still there. So, rather than a "no reason to keep it", it's more of a "no reason to throw it out".

12. DadofHedgehog

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    ...and the Velcro sticks to either surface and to the seat backs equally well.

13. lensovet

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Ah, I see. Yeah, I mean, I'll try selling both my old mats once I get this I think.
    Completely unrelated, but still a "mod" of sorts: I've been driving some people who really love slamming doors. Can I put some weatherstrip or something similar to dampen the blow of a closing door? If so, where should it go and what kind of weatherstrip?

14. lensovet

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    really, no one? lol

15. DadofHedgehog

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Make your passengers use the rear hatch door? :LOL:

16. lensovet

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I wish.
    This is for sidecar in sf, these passengers are basically people I see once and never again. It's useless to ask them for anything, so that's why I'd rather just stick some foam on in the right places and put my worries at rest.

17. lensovet

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    NEW QUESTION!!
    re: steering wheels, what would it take to get a heated steering wheel? is this even possible?

18. DadofHedgehog

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Try the Home Depot winterizing peel-&-glue compressible half-tubes that are sold for leaky house doors which don't shut tight. Not the foam strips - the vinyl thin half-tubes with one flat side that has an adhesive layer. Maybe, strategically placed on the door frame, they'll help some.

19. Totmacher

Totmacher Honey Badger don't give a carp

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I posted a spead up video in my thread that shows how simple the sway bar is. Wheels do not need to be removed.

Tracksyde likes this.
  20. lensovet

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Cool. Any suggestions on what the strategic locations for that would be?