1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Less wear and tear with hybrids?

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by SuperABM, Nov 2, 2012.

1. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I have not owned a c, but on the Gen2 and v, when you are under 1800 RPM you are over 50 MPG and when over 2000 RPM, under 45 MPG at 60 MPH. Wind and rain can have a great effect.

For those of you who worry about the transaxle, change fluid at 30,000 miles then every 60,000 miles. The failure I hear of most is suspended metals shorting a M/G, so lets get them out of there.

2. photogrl13

photogrl13 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I'm not sure how my experience will translate to the Prius, but my HCH definitely had WAY more issues at 100k than my '98 Civic LX did. But then again, I believe the person who had it before me didn't use the right oil nor change it regularly if at all. Also I don't think they ever washed it (rust in places that you wouldn't expect, including the frame pretty severely for an 8yr old car). So, if you don't maintain it, I think it can be a problem. But if you're a person who does do the maintenance on your car that is required, I think that hybrids may be better than a typical car in the long run.

3. CAlbertson

CAlbertson Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Consumer Reports has rated the Toyota Prius C is "The most reliable car". They claim it is less likely to break down than any other car on the road.

We can talk about and guess about why. My guess is that it's just careful engineering. Also, to me this does look like the car they let the engineers design. I know how they think (being one myself) They say "Cup holder? How does a cup holder make the car get better mileage, we don't need cup holders. or Steel hubcaps? What a waste of weight, let's use plastic. and so on."

4. Rob.au

Rob.au Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    i-Tech
    I agree that this is a car that says "we let the engineers design it" (though this is why I love it), but for me cupholders are useless. I like that this car has a space in the door that's perfect for a 600 mL bottle PET bottle (as is common here for soft drinks and bottled water - I believe 500 mL/17 fl. oz. may be more common in Europe and the US).

The "cupholders" in the centre are yet more open storage for me. I keep my garage door opener in one, the other is general use. I'd have rathered a storage box with lid there. The cupholder in the rear is just silly.

5. photogrl13

photogrl13 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I don't have people in my car often, but occasionally I have used all four cupholders in the front. I typically have a water bottle with me, and if I get starbucks, I have that cup as well. If I pick up the hubby, then I have his coffee mug and perhaps another container as well. This is the first car where I haven't had to dump things out the door to make room...which I appreciate. Everyone uses cars differently, though. I think they were just considering "worst case scenario" for people like me :ROFLMAO:

6. RocMills

RocMills Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    So, should I start a new thread for the "clunk"????

7. RocMills

RocMills Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I agree the that the door cupholders are grand, and they fit not only the standard small water bottle you buy at the convenience market, they also fit my reusable bottle... but the reach isn't very convenient. The center cupholders are of such an odd size... my reusable bottle wobbles, a commercial bottle falls out at every turn, and even the portable ashtray we bought for my husband needs to be cushioned so it doesn't rattle around in that space. Makes me wonder what size water bottle they use as standard in Japan.

8. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Which is why we invented statistics.

9. Rob.au

Rob.au Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    i-Tech
    I was there last year - they have a variety of can and bottle shapes and sizes (including cans in bottle form) quite unlike anything I've seen elsewhere in the world, which is kind of funny in a place ruled by vending machines where you would think standardisation would have benefits. Seriously, check this out:

http://www.cocacola.co.jp/products/lineup/cocacola.html

Or the disturbingly addictive Grape Fanta (which we fortunately do not get here) in bubble bottle form:

http://www.cocacola.co.jp/products/lineup/fanta01.html

Then you have all the juices, coffees, teas, waters (plain, sparkling, sport)... and that's just one manufacturer.

RocMills likes this.