1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Lesson's learned Honda vs Prius folks?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by bwilson4web, May 12, 2009.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

I'd noticed an uptick in postings asking about the Honda Civic and Insight versus the Prius. Questions are always good but I was wondering if some of the Honda friend learned anything about Prius owners that they might not have known before?

My impression is the Prius folks are pretty sure about their requirements and reasonably aware of the two technologies. There were some minor points (aka., EV mode) that might have been a little fuzzy but otherwise, the Prius folks seemed pretty astute about the relative technologies and vehicle characteristics.

One short coming was comparative architectures ... understanding the strong part of the IMA versus the THS system. Also, there weren't a whole lot of discussion of displecements and subtle engine differences ... but the questions weren't asked in the "Technical" forums where that might predominate.

But as a 'Prius guy,' I'm not perhaps the best judge. So I'm wondering if the Honda friends might have some lessons learned (notice I didn't say 'insights') to share.

Thanks,
    Bob Wilson

2. Midpack

Midpack Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I know it's not what you're asking, but to the broader question. Nothing at all wrong with having a preference objective or otherwise, but anyone who thinks Honda's are vastly superior to Toyota's or vice versa, isn't being objective. I have owned 4 Honda's and 2 Toyota's. They are both great automakers, the two best today IMHO. And while I will almost certainly buy a 2010 Prius (our first hybrid was/is a TCH), the new Insight is not out of the question and I hope they both do well.

3. 4G63

4G63 I quit boosting

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    i think its easier to master toyota's HSD than honda's IMA. and the HSD is smarter i think. maybe thats why the prius is more fuel efficient. but for people who dont hypermile at all (like us), actually their mpg number dont really differ a lot. i dont know how to explain it in detail but thats from my experience.