1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Lets talk about the self-driving features

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Technical Discussion' started by priusmouse, Dec 31, 2022.

1. priusmouse

priusmouse Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Gen 5 has some nifty partial self-driving features for safety and convenience.

if I understand it correctly:
    -the car will automatically break if it senses an oncoming collision
    -the car will automatically slow down and pull over if it senses you are unresponsive
    -the car will automatically correct course if it senses itself veering out of the lane, turning the wheels automatically
    -it can automatically parallel park if you get the addon

Are there other partial self driving features I have overlooked? I know these aren’t full self driving like a tesla, and as far as I know(?) there is nothing like GMs super-cruise yet. But coming from my ‘17 Prius these seem like really cool features that will make driving it a lot more safe..and fun!

I think these are an under-discussed and under-appreciated aspect of the new Prius!

daisy555 likes this.
  2. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Yes, ACC (advanced cruise control) is the most used/valued in day to day driving. Toyota has "down to zero mph" stop/start ability.

It remains to be seen about the gen5 but many Toyotas work with OpenPilot which rivals Tesla's AutoPilot (not FSD) but for much, much less money. comma.ai — make driving chill

3. priusmouse

priusmouse Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Ooo is the ACC offered on all trims? Does ACC stay in the lane for you as well? And brake on curves?

4. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    IDK for sure on the g5 but they have been for the past few years since the hardware is needed for the other safety features.

5. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    My 2016 Prius 3 and my 2022 Prius AWDe LE will turn you back into your lane as you start to cross the lane marker, but neither attempts to keep you centered in your lane. They do not accelerate to the set speed while in a turn, but they don't brake when turning. You do have to be alert for cars turning off an interstate as the system cannot tell that they are getting out of your way and a Prius will slow down almost to a stop unless you override it. This can be a bit dangerous on an Interstate highway.

JeffD

6. priusmouse

priusmouse Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Yes on my ‘17 i was testing the cruise and almost collided with someone merging lol, it does not adjust for them correctly

7. Hammersmith

Hammersmith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    The gen5 is capable of self-driving during traffic jams. They didn't say the exact mph threshold, but under 20-something mph, the car will auto lane-center and maintain spacing with the car in front of you. Above 20-something, the feature deactivates. Whether or not this feature will be enabled in the US market, I haven't heard. It was part of the original November global announcement, but I don't see it described currently on the Toyota US website.

The same goes for Advanced Park(available as an option on the Limited/XSE Premium). Cars in some markets will be able to park/unpark themselves without a driver in the car, while other markets will only auto-park if you're in the seat.

Finally, I don't see it talked about enough that many of the driving safety functions also trigger a warning flash in the blue/red dash lightstrip. That will be really good for getting your attention in your peripheral view if something happens while you're looking away from the road(checking your mirrors, looking out the side windows, other things that are not so safe).

Tideland Prius and priusmouse like this.
  8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    TSS-P 3.0
    • PCS: Adds daytime motorcyclist detection
    • “Enhanced intersection support” (improved detection in certain situations over TSS-P 2.5) for PCS
    • LDW w/SA - enhanced object detection including 3D objects like guardrails
    • Full Speed DRCC: adds 4th vehicle distance setting. Also adds ability to detect more than one preceding vehicle and ability to detect vehicles in adjacent lanes
    • LTA: enhance lane recognition and ability to offset the lane position to maintain distance from adjacent vehicles
    • Emergency Driving Stop System added to LTA - ability to bring vehicle to a stop during a medica emergency
    • RSA: expanded sign recognition to include more intersection signs and warnings such as pedestrian crossings
    • Proactive Driving Assist - When system operating conditions are met, using the vehicle’s camera and radar, this system provides gentle braking into curves or gentle braking and/or steering to help support driving tasks such as distance control between a preceding vehicle, pedestrian or bicyclist.

TSS-P 2.5/2.5+
    • PCS Intersection Support: ability to detect oncoming vehicles (left turn) and crossing pedestrians (left and right turn)
    • Emergency Steering Assist - assist in vehicle stability during emergency manoeuvres within the lane of reacting to a pedestrian (2.5) or pedestrian/vehicle/cyclist (2.5+)
    • Full Speed DRCC (TSS-P 2.5/2.5+) - adds low speed following and stop function
    • Full Speed DRCC (TSS-P 2.5+) - also adds highway curve assist by slowing down slightly when approaching a curve and resuming speed at the exit of the curve
    TSS-P 2.0
    • PCS: adds low-light vehicle and pedestrian detection as well as daytime cyclist detection
    • Adds Lane Trace Assist
    • Adds Road Sign Assist
    TSS-P
    • DRCC
    • PCS: pedestrian detection (pre-2018 TSS-C)
    • PCS vehicle detection works up to 110mph
    • PCS pedestrian detection works up to 50mph
    • Steering Assist with LDA
    • Radar-based unit (adds to camera-based TSS-C)

TSS-C (2019 MY)
    • Adds pedestrian detection to PCS

Maxwell61, fuzzy1 and fotomoto like this.
  9. priuspath

priuspath New Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    "Lane Trace Assist"
    "When Dynamic Radar Cruise Control (DRCC) * is enabled and lane markers are visible, Lane Tracing Assist (LTA) * * uses the lines on the road and preceding vehicles to help keep the vehicle centered and in its lane."
    This sounds like the "lane centering" feature. As I currently understand it, the Toyota Safety Sense 2.0 is on the 4th gen Prius. They're adding the Toyota Safety Sense 3.0 to the 5th gen Prius.
    What I'd like to know is how big of a difference is there between the 2.0 and 3.0 Lane Trace Assist? It mentions the 3.0 adds "enhanced lane recognition". Do other Toyota models already have 3.0 Safety Sense out there?

10. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Only the Toyota Crown has TSS-P 3.0

11. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    For starters, let's banish the "self driving" name until such time as the car can legally drive itself while the human behind the wheel mentally disengages from driving operations and legally takes a nap.

Until such time, these are more properly labeled "advanced driver assist" features.

Calling them "self driving" is misleading too many drivers and pushing their expectations ahead of today's technical reality, occasionally with fatal results. Sometimes to innocent third parties.

Sharol, Tideland Prius and Trollbait like this.
  12. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What’s the difference between TSS-P 3.0 and TSS 3.0?

2023 Prius XLE has TSS 3.0

#12 daisy555, May 13, 2023
    Last edited: May 13, 2023
  13. Hammersmith

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Are you sure there's a TSS-P 3.0? My research says TSS-P is one of the lowest type of TSS and is never followed by a x.x.

This is what is listed at toyota.com:

TSS-C
    - pre-collision system
    - lane departure alert
    - automatic high beams
    TSS-P
    - pre-collision system w/ pedestrian detection
    - dynamic radar cruise control
    TSS 2.0
    - lane departure alert w/ steering assist
    - lane tracing assist
    - road sign assist
    TSS 2.5
    TSS 2.5+
    TSS 3.0
    - proactive driving assist

Each level adds to the one above it. If there's nothing listed, then it's just incremental improvements to the existing systems.

The other TSS 3.0 vehicles are the bZ4X, Crown, and all the Corollas(although the GR Corolla doesn't have full-range dynamic cruise control or proactive driving assist because it has a manual transmission).

https://engage.toyota.com/static/images/toyota_safety_sense/TSS_Applicability_Chart.pdf (slightly out of date because it doesn't include the Crown or Prius)

Trollbait and daisy555 like this.
  14. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    If there's a TSS-P 3, it isn't on the US Crown. It's TSS 3, but lacks the proactive driving assist of the Prius.

This lists the different TSS levels on each model. It's from September 2022, though. The 2023 Crown and Prius aren't on it.
    https://engage.toyota.com/static/images/toyota_safety_sense/TSS_Applicability_Chart.pdf

I think TSS-P was the upgrade of the original TSS. It added pedestrian detection, thus the P.

Tideland Prius and daisy555 like this.
  15. Hammersmith

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    I believe the Crown also has proactive driving assist. It's not listed on the Specs page, but I think that's a typo because it's listed as having it in many other locations.

16. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I hear the 2025s will explain their driver assist features and give a pop quiz afterward.

17. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Should be the same. Did Toyota drop the “P” from its nomenclature?

The P was to distinguish it from the lower cost version “C” that used a camera based system instead of radar and camera.

P was premium (class) I thought? C was for compact (class)

Trollbait likes this.
  18. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    They dropped the P with 2.0.
    Why wait? Read the openpilot comma system has you go through a training tutorial before you can use it.

19. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    A family member recently related a news story about increasing problems with rental cars; the controls are just getting too divergent from each other and more renters need lessons on relatively basic things.

artieb and daisy555 like this.
  20. friyet

friyet Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    **The Advanced Parking is on my 2023 US LTD FWD - I don't use it often, but in an open parking lot with no cars around me I tried the auto park function - worked pretty slick. I could see in busy traffic where other drivers might get impatient? I've yet to figure out how to use Advanced Park to have the car pull into my garage or better back into the garage, but I'm still reading and learning.

I've used the Adaptive Cruise Control and it will come to a complete stop if the car in front of you stops, ie: four way stop sign, but you must be careful as when the car in front continues, so will you (not a good thing at a four way stop sign intersection) At highway speeds it centers the lane (working in conjunction with Lane Assist feature, has to be activated), takes corners - drives on its own for short periods 30 seconds?? while asking you to jiggle the wheel so it knows you're alive. I just keep two fingers on the bottom of the steering wheel and let it do its thing. It's nice on straight roads home and you need a break to stretch your arms/hands. I will not be using these features during winter months for obvious reasons.

I have the blue light strip and at a stop light it will blink to let me know cars are moving - but yesterday I noticed it blinked because a car in front of me at a light just inched up a bit - light was still red, so you still need to use your best judgement - trust but verify....I keep my foot close to the brake just in case.

I really appreciate the surround view option as it keeps me away from the curbs, especially at drive through windows for coffee in the mornings. The digital rear view mirror is also helpful due to the limited view out the back hatch window.

I'm still trying to figure out how to view my individual tire pressure on the dash panel. thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

friyet

artieb and AndersOne like this.