1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Let's talk tire pressure...

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by socal13, Aug 2, 2013.

1. JGI

JGI Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for the replies. I took my car to have the recall/update done and they corrected the pressure to 35 psi on all four tires. I found this to be too mushy so I pumped more air on the front and it's now 45 front/35 rear. I found this to be my "sweet spot" and the car handles great without being too harsh. I did check with another pressure gauge and it is indeed correct! Crazy how they pumped the front tires that high.

As for the MPG I'm getting, I forgot to mention that I have to climb some steep hills in stop and go traffic (about 5 miles each way). So maybe that's contributing to the low MPG.

2. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    45 is a nice pressure.
    Just make sure to check often. You'd be surprised how much tire pressure can change.

As far as low mpg, I wonder how far off your mpg was on your old car compared to EPA estimate?
    That may give you and idea what difference to expect.

JGI likes this.
  3. mediahound

mediahound Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The max on my tires is 50 PSI. I've tried everything from 50 to 35 and my mileage did not change. So now I run about 40 or 35 (don't check it often) and my ride quality is *much* improved from when I ran it at 50.