1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Lets track the 2012 Camry Hybrid Real-World MPG

Discussion in 'Toyota Hybrids and EVs' started by jkchang, Apr 1, 2012.

1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    just got into orlando saturday with the '13 hycam. 6,000 miles on her now. very comfortable ride, similar to gen I. leather seats on this one made it even better. the first leg was boston (18 degrees) to new jersey (39 degrees), stopped to fill up. mfd said 43 mpg, actual was 40.5 mpg for 336 miles at about 65 mph most of the time. the second leg was NJ to south carolina ( 82 degrees), 484 miles, 45 mpg calculated. third leg was SC to orlando (70 degrees) 580 miles, 70 mph most of the way from virginia south, 42 mpg. (mfd said 43.4) average for the whole trip was about 42 mpg which is about 10% better than our gen I which made the trip 4 times and averaged 38mpg. prior to that it was a standard camry and averaged 30 mpg. even better than that, driving locally on the fourth tank, speeds around 30-45 mph, temps in the 70's, we're averaging 54 mpg so far.

usnavystgc likes this.
  2. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Love it!

Didn't know you had a HyCam. Is it your wife's?

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes, she had an '08, and we traded it in for the '13. fantastic car and great on road trips.

usnavystgc and markabele like this.
  4. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yes, bisco, I agree, great car for road trips.

5. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Rented a '13 Camry Hybrid XLE w/ leather/ultrasuede for two hours for extended test drive. Was toying with idea of maybe picking up one of the 2014.5 HyCam SE limited's, but it ain't gonna happen. Camry Hybrid not for me, but I'll tell ya the MPGs were poppin once it was warmed up. 43, 44 and such mpgs on the gage.

6. usnavystgc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have exceeded 50 mpg's on numerous occasions during around town trips. Hwy mpg is not as impressive at 70+mph but if you hold it at 55 mph, you will exceed 50 mpg (at least I did) and I even hit 70 mpg for a short stint (likely going downhill or a wind at my back). My commute to work is short (6 miles) so my overall mpg is on par with EPA ratings. I might be able to do better if I install a block heater and do some grill blocking but, 40+ lifetime mpg in a car this big and this comfortable/luxurious, is just fine by me. This car is amazing IMO.

7. usnavystgc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Well, mpg's are going up significantly with this warmer weather. I was averaging 41.39 up to this point (about 6kmiles) but now my current tank is indicating 45.4 after 139 miles. It will be interesting to see where this tank averages out at. I'm also learning how to maximize this particular vehicles hybrid system. I was good with the Gen II but I'm even getting better since I got the TCH.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    those are great numbers! weather has taken a long time around here, yesterday was57 degrees. my wife is at 48.8 on the dash, 3/4 of the way through this tank.

9. usnavystgc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Omg, she's doing great with those temps. Wow!

10. Stevevee

Stevevee Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We've been talking about when we'd upgrade our 2007 Camry Hybrid, now at 110K + miles. The only thing that's gone bad is the water pump, an expected failure on those models, and many other brands as well. Original struts, rotors (I think), we bought it used at 55,000 miles.

The winter took it's toll, but not bad. Consistently at 38-40 mpg (displayed) now, calculated is usually within 1 mpg, more accurate than my Prius v display. I put Yokohama Avid Envigor tires on it 40,000 miles agao. These are not LRR tires, but the car has consistently gotten better mileage, and certainly tire wear, since the changeover. I keep them at 36.

It's been such a reliable car, we're thinking of putting the next gen CH on our to look at list. Probably waiting 2 years or so until retirement.

11. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Picked up a Camry Hybrid XLE 2014 rental to check it out and test MPGs on my commute. It's a nice car, quiet, comfortable and easy to get gauge well over 40 MPG when warmed, but it's just too soft handling, soft steering and isolated from driving feel for my taste.

This is the same car you have Bisco, right?

I hope the 2015 Camry Hybrid SE has a lot more verve or else, no go.

12. usnavystgc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'm surprised to hear that you tested it due to the "misalignment" of the steering wheel. You tested a luxury version of the Camry which is tuned for soft handling, soft steering. It sounds like you are looking for a sports sedan and that's definitely not the TCH XLE. The SE should have more of what you're looking for but I'm betting it will fall short. I love my TCH LE but, we do all have different tastes. The thing I like most is the overall vehicle (a comfortable family sedan with a quiet interior, 200 hp, big trunk that gets 40+ mpg's in the city, all for under $30k). You just can't beat that. Nothing out there touches it in overall comfort, value and performance.

bisco likes this.
  13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes, same i think. we don't have the loaded which is the 7" screen and a few other things. when you get to my age, you'll love the ride.:cool: great cruiser, but to be honest, for my personal vehicle, since i don't usually go more than 100 miles once or twice a week, the pip is perfect, and more ev down the road is what i'm hoping for.

14. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not bent on getting a 2015 Camry Hybrid, but interested in SE and Camry Hybrid MPG capability. It'll be a few months before '15s end up in TRAC fleet.

MPG numbers 2014.5 Camry Hybrid XLE, 1 PSI over or 36 PSI front/rear

53.4 MPG on gage, reset before 13.5 mile to work near sea level commute, 57 F , dry, flat, crowded freeway, car driven, fully warmed 2 hours prior to commute.

52.7 MPG going home, gage reset prior, driven few miles 3.5 hrs prior, 72 F, dry

For the day, 92.6 miles / 1.920 for 48.2 MPG at pump

Camry Hybrid XLE is a solid driving car that feels much more stable than Prius anywhere. Gas engine tends to come on a little abruptly when taking off from a stop They could improve on that. It's noticeably quieter inside than Prius. Good car for those who like softer handling / ride and fairly docile steering.

2015 Camry / Hybrid SE (not sure of LE, XLE) driver's seat appears to point slightly more to the right than that of the 2014 XLE, hence seat wheel alignment much better for SE 2015.
    Toyota also re-fashioned the 2015 center console side wall (smoothed it all out) which I always rely on for resting a right leg. My right leg ends up much closer to the console wall on the 2015, whereas 2014 console wall sort of far from my leg. I was fidgeting driving the rental back to Fremont Toyota so it wasn't a good fit out of the box for me.

In most cars there is a good 6 inches or so between the front edge of bottom cushion and back of my knee, not enough to fully support my legs....

there are a rare few cars that have Very long seat cushions, the Cadillac XTS with premium seats which are like lounge chairs.

I've seen production variances on Toyotas: Example, I've sat in a 2015 Camry SE whose headrest, fully extended, does Not go up back of my head enough nor as much as another 2015 Camry SE. Not a matter of how I was sitting in the seat, given 1 to 2 inch difference. Probably different seat vendor for that unit.

I'm aware the 2015 Camry SE / hybrid is well short of a sports sedan. I'll be interested to see how it drives compared to Ford Fusion and Accord hybrid (although their reliability and customer service might be scary).
    I've no idea how I could get real world MPG #'s for Accord Hybrid. Stupid Honda likes to play 'hard to get'. (i.e. no renting of any Hondas anywhere) They say no fleet sales so as to keep resale values high. Whatever.

And that's in agreement with this article -

2015 Toyota Camry Hybrid SE Review

"... For the non-hybrid Camry models, these upgrades work. The Hybrid SE, however, feels at odds with itself, unable to reconcile its highly efficient but uninspiring hybrid-electric powertrain with its more aggressive suspension and steering character (the result of SE-specific shock tuning, stabilizer bar, and control-arm bushing components). "

Well, I've been looking at the 2015 Camry (hybrids) quite a bit, but something feels 'off' sitting in it. So, I sawed off a yardstick to 24" and went a measuring the Camry seat bottom cushion vs. the '15 Accord sedan -

Accord EX-L

camera 914.jpg
    Camry XLE
    camera 909.jpg

I have several more photos. Camry width between bolsters is an inch narrower too. Bottom line: I won't be buying this generation of Camry or any until they start making a seat that measures up. So, I have a Prius now which I'm 'meh' about and there is no where I'll go up with Toyota / HSD. I'm kinda bummed and a little bit stunned cause I was hoping to upgrade to HyCam next year. Better to walk away though. Sigh.

So you know I'm not cheating, Camry left , Accord right -

camera 906.jpg camera 916.jpg

Sergiospl and usnavystgc like this.
  15. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  16. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I wouldn't give the driver's seat a 9/10 being that the bottom cushion measures the same as Prius, 19". I give a C- or 7/10.
    If I had shorter legs I could use the car, and I don't even slide the seat all the way back. It's disproportionate.
    So, I'll be sending another letter to Toyota corporate about this.

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the reviewer looked shorter than you.

18. Den49

Den49 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If you need a deeper seat bottom, try the Avalon Limited. The longer driver's seat bottom also has a front edge extended. Below is a picture of my seat. The front edge is almost fully extended with about another inch remaining.

[​IMG]

19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base