1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Letter fr Toyota @ Brake Booster Pump program / recall

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by CharlesPrius, Oct 8, 2018.

1. CharlesPrius

CharlesPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Last week I got a "Customer Support Program Notification - ZJB" letter from Toyota that basically says my 2010 might have a failing Brake Booster Assembly / Pump. Just short of calling it a "Recall" -- they call it a "Support Program." Before receiving this letter I was about to take it in b/c of some issues with the brakes: for 6-8 months now I've had the Traction Control light (swervy double-S orange dash light on the upper left) coming on whenever I have to brake hard, and maybe the ABS light a couple of times too, I can't recall. After I brake hard, the brakes are completely locked up (with Traction light on) even if I lift my foot off the brake completely. It will only unlock if I press the gas pedal. Also been getting an excessive whirring sound whenever we unlock and enter the car -- it won't start [ignite] until the whirring is finished (sounds like the brake booster vacuum pump is working extra hard?), coming from right below the brake fluid reservoir. The brakes also sound like they're "sticking" -- as in, after I let up the brake and continue driving after a stop, any slight bumps in the road cause a rattle that sounds like loose suspension, but after whatever was stuck is loosed and I don't brake for a while, there is no noise. All shocks and struts were replaced less than a year ago and like I said, this noise only happens for a minute or so after commencing forward motion after a stop, never otherwise.

HOWEVER, I don't have any warning lights on (as the letter says I may). My local Toy Dealer said I can bring it in to scan for codes, but they can ONLY repair under this program it if it is throwing specific codes. So I'll probably be out an inflated dealer diag. fee if they don't find the correct "code." I have my own OBDII reader but it only reads DTC codes, and it's not throwin any.

I know this is a known issue for 2010, 2009, maybe 2008, and that 08-09 models have had this covered ($) under this support program for some time now.

Advice? Anyone else dealt with this issue?

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Did you talk to the dealership before or after receiving the letter? If before, maybe contact them again, see if they know about it, what they'll say/do. I found the diagnostic charge is typically around $75. And if they find a smoking gun, something related to the letter, maybe no charge?

I just got this from Toyota Canada, about a month back. Maybe similar?

IMG_9452.JPG

The one thing I've been noticing is an occasional odd sorta grunt sound, just as the car's coming to a stop.

#2 Mendel Leisk, Oct 8, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
  3. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    OP, does it say anything about the 2011 models? Our 2011 has some honking/barking sounds coming from the brake booster sometimes when the brakes are applied hard, especially when the car is almost at a stop.

It is hard to reproduce, so the dealer said they can't find anything wrong with it.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

CharlesPrius and Mendel Leisk like this.
  4. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Is it a rapidly repeating grunting that sort of dissipates, or is it one longer grunt sound? I think ours started with a single sound, then became more of a series of sounds, maybe 2 or 3.

5. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Just hearing one "grunt", very sporadic too: might not hear it all for a week or two. The car's only 77K kms too, fwiw.

CharlesPrius likes this.
  6. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yeah, ours is very sporadic too. It also started at relatively low miles IIRC.

Hopefully the 2011 will be included, and up to 10 yrs/240,000 miles too. We are coming up on 100k and it's 2nd drain and fill on the transaxle.

#6 xliderider, Oct 8, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
  7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    So, have you checked the version of the firmware in the brake computer, per T-SB-0363-10, which was about those sounds in 2010 and early 2011 models? If you have 15 inch wheels, it should be F152647108 or later; if you have 17 inch wheels, it should be F152647128.

Mine started quacking earlier this year, I went to the dealer, asked them to flash the newer firmware, and the quacking stopped. It's not a recall, so you pay for half an hour or an hour of shop time, but it's otherwise painless.

You're using the hill holder. That's what it does. :) On mine, it sort of takes pressing and holding the pedal and then pressing it a little further; makes a beep and puts the traction light on, and keeps you from rolling until you press the go pedal. (As designed, it will eventually let go after a few seconds if your foot is off the brake and not on the go.)

The ZJB campaign is an extension to warranty coverage for a specific issue your car may or may not develop. If you have no warning lights on (or only on when you use the hill holder :) ), you don't have that issue, or you don't have it yet, so just enjoy the car.

If that issue does develop in your car, and it happens in the next year and a quarter, or any time up to your car's tenth birthday if you're under 150,000 miles, you will end up getting a brand new, zero mile, brake actuator and accumulator installed in your near-decade-old car for free. Can't beat that with a stick.

You probably don't need the anxiety of trying to convince yourself you've got the problem before you've got it; if you could get the parts replaced early, you would just end up starting to wear out the new parts earlier than necessary.

As for the rattly noises, how many miles since you last had the calipers up for a routine going-over?

-Chap

Mendel Leisk and xliderider like this.
  8. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Is the only way to get the firmware version of the brake computer using techstream? If so, I'm going to have to ask them to check it next time I get serviced.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  9. CharlesPrius

CharlesPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That's very similar to the letter I got; mine doesn't mention the term "warranty program," rather calling it "Customer Support Program"

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Thanks for the info, I copy-and-paste this stuff. (n)(n)(n)

xliderider likes this.
  11. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  12. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Now I just have to REMEMBER I copied it... :oops:

xliderider likes this.
  13. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Of course, I meant to say "or later" in both cases ....

Mendel Leisk and xliderider like this.
  14. CharlesPrius

CharlesPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I also have the Barking/Grunting sound, sounds like a clutch engaging and disengaging loudly. Intermittent, I just figured it was a normal part of the Hybrid system or traction, it's been happening for a long time

xliderider likes this.
  15. CharlesPrius

CharlesPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two

16. BoldRoot

BoldRoot Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I too recently received a ZJB letter regarding malfunctions of the brake booster assemblies. I've attached a copy of the letter for others to reference. I scanned it with OCR and cleaned it up a bit before uploading it. For me, the primary coverage lasts until 2021 with no year/mileage limitation. After that date, it's applicable for 10 years from first use or 150,000 miles, whichever occurs first.

I did have the 3 dashboard warning lights symptomatic of the brake booster malfunction lit up for approximately 6-9 months but the lights turned off after I had a warranty repair in February 2019- the update to the power management ECU software- and before I received the brake booster letter. The lights haven't turned back on yet after over four months of regular driving but I expect that they'll come back on eventually. When I brought the car in for the ECU software update, I had the dealer check to see what the cause of the warning lights were and they said that it was caused by an "ABS Actuator Leak". Interestingly, at the dealer's suggestion, the dealer asked Toyota on my behalf to cover 50% of the cost to replace the ABS actuator but Toyota declined. Ironically, even though I didn't have the dealer replace the ABS actuator, the lights went off so I guess it's ok for now? Now I'm not sure if the lights are caused by a leaking ABS actuator or the brake booster assembly. I asked the dealer if they would replace the brake booster during my most recent visit for an unrelated service but they said that I would have to wait for the lights to turn back on.

Do the quacking/barking/grunting sounds ever occur in a 2012 Prius? Mine makes a light buzzing sound every 30 seconds. This begins as soon as I press the brake (even before starting up the car) and, after a typical drive of ~30 minutes, continues for some minutes even after I turn off the car and am no longer pressing any pedals. Do I just need to update the firmware for the brake computer?

Attached Files:

17. jgulecas

jgulecas Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have the exact same problem as Boldroot, except the lights came ON with the ECU update. Now fighting with Toyota over getting coverage under the ZJB CSP. Dealer is saying they are not getting the right codes, even though I am otherwise qualified.