1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Letting family members borrow your Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by beezy, Jun 1, 2006.

1. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    well, if i were in the car, and if it was someone i really trusted... maybe.

i let my college buddy drive it through the parking lot at our old place when she came to visit. and i do let DH take it when it needs some maintenance or something. for the most part, though, you can admire it from the passenger seat, thanks. :D

2. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :) I'm pleased to report that my SO (wife) has actually learned to drive our Prius properly.. EXCEPT... she can't achieve MPGs that I get... HOWEVER.. she does turn it off properly.

3. HokieHybrid

HokieHybrid New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    As of now...my car has 3000 miles on it. 15 were before I took delivery...and approximately .5 were by the guy who put on my clear bra. The other 2984.5....ALL ME. My father has washed the car three times, but hasn't been allowed in the driver's seat longer than it takes to wash the inside of the windshield. It's nice though, I haven't adjusted the seat in over a month.

That said, I can count on my hands the number of people who drove my 1996 Camry. I'm very picky. I lived with a girl for two years...and she never drove my car. I will eventually let my dad drive my car. It will have 60000 miles before mom or my sister drive it.

I'm not one of those girls who just gives up the driver's seat b/c there's a guy in the car. Maybe this has something to do with my single status.

4. palau

palau New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(yumika85 @ Jun 1 2006, 12:38 PM) [snapback]264053[/snapback]</div>

i'm with yumika85, i constantly offer my prius up to family/friends. i want them to experience the magic and be compelled to buy one. i mean it's the easiest car to drive. so far most friends have understandably passed. but my husband drives it all the time without me and loves it. it's his new video game. the only thing that's annoying about that is he usually gets slightly better mileage. <_<

once, my mom drove it while we were all in the car. everything was fine, but i would cringe whenever she would speed up to a red light. she won't be driving it again. :angry:

the thing i have yet to do is take my prius to the car wash or have it valet parked. don't want strangers touching it. the other day, i paid the valet extra to let me park the car. it was one of those cramped koreatown parking lots, the entire time while eating lunch i was worried that there would be dent when i returned.

5. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

The day after I picked it up, I let my coworker take it for a drive.. a few miles, no biggie..

first time the inlaws came, let them drive it around.

Wife is still a hair shy about the thing.. it's basically just weird in a few ways, but she takes it when she goes out on the weekends to do something...

Anyone on here wants to stop by, you can take it for a drive.. it's just a car...

6. LaniLobes

LaniLobes New Member

This just occured to me - wwhen I considered that I can never put my car in for a car wash and leave it with the attendent.

I am now destined to wash the car myself .......... oh well.

7. Bill Lumbergh

Bill Lumbergh USAF Aircraft Maintainer

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I wouldn't let my family members borrow my Prius, except for maybe my mom. Everyone else has a lead right foot and would ruin my average.

That said, I'd offer to let your sister drive my car to get used to it, but I'm not around and it's secured in my parking garage.

8. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I let my brother drive it around the neighborhood (max speed: 25mph, with me in the passenger seat) for all of 3 minutes the day after I bought it and will, on occasion, allow the husband to drive it on the condition that my mpgs better be the same or better than they were when I last used it. :D

9. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That is why we got two. I drive mine and everyone else can drive my wife's. hehehe

10. ghostofjk

ghostofjk New Member

They'll have to pry my SKS from my cold, dead pocket.

11. Maytrix

Maytrix Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NoVaSnow @ Jun 1 2006, 12:16 PM) [snapback]264048[/snapback]</div>
    My wife is just the opposite. She could care less about all the gadgets and stuff - I still question whether or not she knows how to control my ipod (I have the vais tech adapater). She loves to drive it though and will take it any time she has the opportunity. Much to my surprise, she maintains within 1mpg of what my current average is.

12. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ralph b @ Jun 1 2006, 03:21 AM) [snapback]263944[/snapback]</div>

Thats why I bought my wife one too..... so she won't be asking for mine!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ghostofjk @ Jun 2 2006, 11:56 AM) [snapback]264783[/snapback]</div>
    :lol: :lol: :lol:

13. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

Last night, my wife and I went to a black tie event at a club where they had valet parking. I was going to just park the Prius myself, but as we were arriving a torrential rain started, and it would have been quite a walk from the lot if I parked myself. So I let the attendant park it; I handed him one of the instruction cards that came with the car, but fortunately he had driven a Prius before. And the car was returned to me unscathed.