1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Level 2 charger compatibility

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by mxben, Jan 17, 2013.

1. -1-

-1- Don

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    :)I almost paid $200 more for a Seimens 30A Level 2 charger from Amazon.com just because it was 30A. Not only was it more money, it would have complicated my electrical installation, requiring 10 gauge wiring instead of using the existing 20A circuit. As with most items, products are constantly being improved with lower cost. My Leviton Level 2 charger is perfect for my PIP. If my charging requirements change in future, I'll upgrade at that time. There will be a used market for my current charger.

Rebound likes this.
  2. Dorngas

Dorngas New Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    We got a Megear 220 charger cable for my wife's 2019 Plugin Prius. The first time I connected the plug into the car's charging port receptacle it worked. I pressed the car's charging port's button and the green light went on. The box on the Megear cord showed it was connected, the Megear cord's "box" blue charging indicator light illuminated, and the car was successfully charged overnight without incident. The following day, I tired to use the new 220V charger again and it would not make a connection to the car's port. I pressed the button and the green light would not illuminate. I tried it multiple times (it appeared to click into the receptacle correctly) and still it would not make a connection to the car's charging port. We gave up and plugged in the car's original 110V charging cord and it made a connection (turned green) and worked fine (the car was fully charged the next morning). Does anyone have an idea of what the problem may be? - Doug

3. Dorngas

Dorngas New Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    To be brief, it worked the first time. But not yesterday
    The plug needs to be inserted into the cars port receptacle and makes a click, then a button is pressed on the car and a light should turn green, indicating a connection

bisco likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what button is pressed on the car?(n)

5. Dorngas

Dorngas New Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    "what button is pressed on the car": Inside the left rear charging port. It is the button that has to be pressed before the charging connection can be made. It should turn green. At any rate, my problem seems to have been resolved. It was most likely an overheating of the cable assembly. We had a heat wave hear in the SF Bay Area and if left plugged into the 220V wall outlet in the garage for too long, it seems to have shut down. So I just unplugged it, and after a brief while, plugged it back in, connected the car side plug in to the car's charging port receptacle, and it worked fine. Pressed the port's button, it went green, and the cable assembly's "block" leds lit up indicating connected (red) and charging (blue). So problem solved. Overheating most likely.

6. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That's not a button. It's an LED. It runs green when charging starts.
    Screen Shot 2020-08-26 at 12.25.39 PM.png Screen Shot 2020-08-26 at 12.25.50 PM.png

7. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If you’re standing in a puddle in the rain, it could be very dangerous to hold an electric cable which is conducting, say, 240V at 30 Amperes. This is why the EVSE has a low voltage signal which verifies that the cable is fully inserted and the car reports its capabilities and readiness state first. Then, after about three seconds, the relays in the EVSE switch on (and you’ll hear a clicking sound) and the current flows.

So plug it in and let go of the thing. The light will come on, I promise.