1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Level of Dissatisfaction With the Prius Driver's Seat

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ghostofjk, Jun 16, 2006.

?
  1. seat too low

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. seat too high

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. seat won't go back far enough

33.3%
  4. seat won't get close enough to dash

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. can't adjust pitch forward or back

22.2%
  6. insufficient or no lumbar support

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. cushions too firm

11.1%
  8. cushions too soft

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. inadequate thigh support (seat cushion not long enough)

11.1%
  10. side bolsters provide inadequate support

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. side bolster(s) ergonomically in bad position

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. lack of memory for two or more drivers

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. something else (specify)

11.1%
  14. two or more of above (please enumerate)

11.1%
  1. ram1901

ram1901 New Member

A big sore spot for me.
    Too Hard, no support, no up/down adjustment and no telescopic steering wheel.
    Love the car, the engineering, the economy but Toyota could learn a thing or two from the German's on seat design.

2. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    If the poll worked I would need to pick more than one thing anyway. I think it's one of the worst seats I have ever seen in a modern automobile, and I am not of an unusual size or shape.

It won't go back far enough for adequate leg room and if it did it would need to accompanied by a telescoping steering wheel. The seat bottom isn't long enough to offer adequate thigh support. There is no lateral support. I don't really think the material it's made of is very comfortable, I got my car before leather was available.

The Prius seats are sort of OK for around town or even a couple of hours on the highway. But for longer trip taking say 4 or 5 hours they are not nearly good enough. I recently drove my Prius for 700 miles one day and even taking fairly frequent breaks it made for a rather difficult day.

I know Toyota can do better, one of my friends has a Camry Hybrid and the seats are just as good as the ones in my old Honda Accord were.

3. bbielek

bbielek New Member

Actually, the seats are pretty good for me although if they went back just a bit further and had a bit more thigh support I would be happier. I think it is interesting that I find the driving position in the Prius more comfortable than in my wife's Highlander (just a bit more leg room and a bit lower seat). At 6' and 195 (most of my height in my legs), I am reasonably happy.

4. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(brandon @ Jun 16 2006, 02:25 PM) [snapback]272323[/snapback]</div>

I agree. Sheez! At 6'-5" 225lbs & back pain, the seats do as good as one can expect ... while trying to fit folks that vary in size by over 100lbs and 2 1/2 feet! If I had to whine, I suppose I'd whine about not being able to slide back a couple more inches.

5. j24816

j24816 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rick Auricchio @ Jun 18 2006, 08:24 PM) [snapback]273285[/snapback]</div>

32", worn normally. Which makes sense given you are taller.

Just saw this in an article on 'extreme commuters'.....so there is hope, if you have the $$$.

"...The next battleground for carmakers: seats that can go the distance. "These longer commutes will change how we evaluate seats," says Toyota marketing VP Jim Farley. "We may see people willing to pay big money for really comfortable seats..."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12438812/site/newsweek/page/3/

6. senna4ever

senna4ever New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I start go get a backache after driving the damn thing for over an hour or so. Never happens with the Lexus. The Prius is quite an uncomfortable car, IMO....bumpy ride, noisy...

7. ghostofjk

ghostofjk New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(j24816 @ Jun 19 2006, 07:55 PM) [snapback]273864[/snapback]</div>
    A marketing VP admitting they don't put "really comfortable seats" in their $27,000 (avg.) cars, such that they need to change how they evaluate seats? How, pray tell, HAVE you been "evaluating" seats, Mr. Farley? By interviewing crash test dummies?

8. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I must be the right size because I have gone on long drives up the coast and never feel tired or anything more than my regular stiff knees. My 6'4" son-in-law looked a little more cramped though.

9. ghostofjk

ghostofjk New Member

Partial Tally

No. of posters expressing opinion: 30

No. expressing complaints: 21

No. saying "no problem": 9

Specific complaints listed by poll (descending order)

inadequate lumbar support: 11

doesn't slide back far enough: 9

inadequate thigh support: 9

cushions too firm: 6

unsupportive side bolsters: 3

seat too high: 2-1/2

no memory: 2

no pitch adjustment: 2

seat too low: 1-1/2

side bolster(s) ergonomically in bad place: 1

seat won't go far enough forward:0

cushions too soft: 0

Specific complaints added by posters

inadequate back support: 4

lack of adjustments: 4

lack of telescoping wheel: 4

inadequate seat bottom lateral support: 2

console too low: 1

console too high: 1

poor fabric: 1

10. Xtine000

Xtine000 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Hello, is there any reason why people who own Prius models before the 10, and who have the horrible driver's seats, can't just order the seat from the 10 and have it installed??