1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Level two charger

Discussion in 'Prime Plug-in Charging' started by bbutler, Jan 19, 2021.

1. bbutler

bbutler Junior Member

I have a 2021 Prius Prime. It takes 6 hours to re-charge the battery. I'd like to buy a level two charger but have no clue where to start. Is there a specific brand that's good for the Prime? How many amps do I need?

2. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PC. You may want to check this thread and home charging cheatsheet by @john1701a
    john1701a - Prius Prime Home Charging Cheat Sheet | PriusChat

For Prius Prime, any L2 EVSE (Electric Vehicle Service Equipment) on market will work. It only needs to be 16A max. However, if you already have 240v outlet you are planning to use, then the outlet must be compatible with the plug. If you are installing a new dedicated 240v circuit, you may want to future-proof it for your next plug-in or BEV that may benefit from the larger amp. Many install 50amp dedicated circuit and NEMA 14-50 outlet.
    This one is what I bought, but it is an overkill for PP. enelx juicebox 40amp nema14-50 l2 evse

3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    bbutler, where you live is really going to shade our advice.

North America uses 120v, Europe uses 220v, Japan uses 100 volts, etc.

For North America, Salamander_King has good advice.

Salamander_King likes this.
  4. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Good follow-up. I always assume the poster is from the US, but you are correct, OP could be from other parts of the world. However, since he's calling his car "Prius Prime" I think he is from North America. I think the car is not called "PRIME" but PHV in other markets, IIRC.

5. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    A minor point, when I put in a level two charger I had a dedicated line run from the breaker box to the driveway. It only needed a 12 gauge line to carry 20 Amps but I had the electrician put in a wire sized for 40 Amps. If the next car needs more power the line is already there.

jerrymildred likes this.