1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Leviticus 20:10 re: Adultery

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by burritos, Apr 18, 2007.

1. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Apr 18 2007, 12:20 PM) [snapback]425509[/snapback]</div>
    As this is a free country, they get to believe what they like. During most of the history of Christianity, people in Christian countries were legally required to believe whatever the local church said, on pain of torture and/or horrible agonizing death. But now that the Church has lost a good deal of its political power, people can choose what they want to believe.

It is certainly inconsistent to claim (as some do) that every word in the Bible is god's inerrent truth, and then turn around and selectively reject parts of it, but as above, people have the right to be inconsistent, and indeed, if we examine ourselves, I think we will all find ourselves to be inconsistent. I know I am, and I'll believe anybody is a liar who claims not to be.

Most Christians are of TJ's mind, and read the Bible as allegory and guidance, rather than as literal edict. Literalists are in the minority.

2. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Apr 19 2007, 12:32 AM) [snapback]425827[/snapback]</div>
    Im with Tony!!!!! :D :lol: :lol:

3. patrickindallas

patrickindallas Shire rat

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I love Leviticus! Especially the chapters in the low 20's.

It has been helping me leave "Christians" agape since I was a youthful punk.

"Ack! The BIBLE says THAT!!!!"

I'm much more tolerant now. (Almost) whatever makes you happy is fine by me.

4. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Apr 18 2007, 08:32 PM) [snapback]425827[/snapback]</div>
    Well, you have a problem ...

In Corinth, the gentiles were entertaining the philosophies of those anti-sex guys, and Paul sets them straight. For most people, the sex drive is powerful, and marriage provides a wonderful framework for two people to engage in sex in a safe manner. Otherwise, you might go after the altar boys. But, there's a problem with this: two people who enter into the marriage contract also pledge their bodies to each other, and no longer have ownership of what they do with their bodies. They have given that permission to their spouse. (That cite is from I Cor. 7, 1-5).

So, I guess we have to ask your wife if its OK. What's her cell number? ;)