1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Leviton Charging Station

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by JMD, Dec 7, 2012.

1. -1-

-1- Don

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Thanks for the information. That must be an electrician inside tip. I did mark the front of the receptacle "240v".

2. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    He has an electricians license, he said "it's code" so I did it to my setup just in case :)

3. Francos

Francos Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    How much does it usually cost to hire an electrician to install the 220V wire (socket) for the station? The Fed 30% tax credit lasts through end of the year if not extended.

4. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The major part of the expense is running the cable from the breaker panel to the outlet location. This is going to vary wildly. Originally, I wanted it on the left side of my driveway, which would have meant running conduit underground, pouring concrete for a post, etc. I finally opted to simply install the outlet on the side of my house.

A long installation run increases the cost of the cable, and potentially adds cost for metal conduit and labor. So there is no fixed price. I did the whole thing myself; it's not very difficult, unless you're running cable where it doesn't want to go.

When I installed mine, I saw that the cost of the Romex cable was pretty significant at 50-100 foot distances, and heavier gauge cable costs at least double AND it's a lot harder to work with. Compare the thin cable and connector of the Toyota-supplied EVSE to a public charger. The public charger cable is WAY thicker. Routing a 50' spool of thick cable through a wall or conduit is a lot harder than with thin cable.

5. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I had some Amazon gift cards lying around, so I bought the Leviton Level 2 charger with the plug. The faster charging time comes in real handy.

Rebound likes this.
  6. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I got the Leviton EVB22-3PT Evr-Green 160 3.8kW unit from Amazon ($750+ free ship). I installed it myself for about $30 in materials since it was mounted right next to the sub-panel in my garage.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

NOTE: you don't necessarily need the additional $70 mounting kit that is highly suggested by the manufacturer.

Hi Burrito! likes this.
  7. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I didn't buy the mounting kit either. I just used the hole in the back of the thing.

8. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    ZZZackly. I also added a hanger bolt and wing nut to the bottom mount:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

so mine is easily and quickly removable if I want to take it with me.