1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Lexus EV conspiracy theories

Discussion in 'EV (Electric Vehicle) Discussion' started by hkmb, Sep 6, 2021.

1. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    pretty clever eh? Yes - that's just like the their Scion EV. Over $40,000 MSRP w/ a 30+ mile range. 3hr recharge.
    Toyota proved their point that electric cars are too expensive and don't have enough range. Imagine that.
    Screenshot_2022-10-16-07-17-02-38_680d03679600f7af0b4c700c6b270fe7.jpg
    Scion iQ EV - Actual Sales Versus Toyota's Initial Expectations
    Think of it like the story of the King's new wardrobe. Some will see the king's clothes as the most beautiful thing ever, even as some dumb kid will say, "hey how come that man's naked"
    ;)

2. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    63 kWh = Ariya
    62 kWh = ID.4
    58 kWh = ID.3
    58 kWh = Ioniq 5
    58 kWh = EV6
    53 kWh = Ioniq 6
    45 kWh = ID.3

Offering a lower capacity battery-pack has become common practice.

3. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Of course, labeling that as "unusable range" is somewhat of an insult to anyone who purchased a Leaf.

4. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    that only works so far - a point Toyota proved all too well

12kWh = Scion IQ

5. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Still wasting our time with cherry-picked examples...

6. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The Volt, Spark EV, Ioniq Electric, and maybe the i3 capacity increased through the first gen's life cycle. This seems to have been the industry's common approach as technology and cost improvements facilitated larger capacities.

It isn't wild that using a pack with the same architecture saves on production costs. The Ioniq Electric gained a bigger battery when Hyundai switched to a trimmed down Kona pack for it. IIRC, the Ioniq's pack is the one from the shorter range Kona that was available in Korea.

As for quietly playing the game, why sticking with CHAdeMO when the EU has made CCS its standard years ago? CHAdeMO isn't used on the Chinese version.

Are you saying Lexus will continue selling the smaller battery along side the new pack?

What is common practice is a company announcing a selection of ranges will be available for an upcoming model, and having those range options roll out within a reasonable time of each other. Switching to a higher capacity battery was only common in the beginning of this new EV era, as battery costs dropped.

It is an example of Toyota's preconceived and wrong notions of what the public wanted in a BEV. The iQ EV was the car Toyota designed while Tesla was doing Rav4 EV conversions. The shorter ranges and slower fast charge speeds of their current BEVs shows they still aren't listening to the public, but their own internal ideas for a car type executives still speak out against.

hill, hkmb and Zythryn like this.
  7. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Suggested edit:
    Bob Wilson

hill likes this.
  8. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, it would be, if people hadn't paid far less for a Leaf than for a UX, and if the Leaf hadn't been offering that range when there weren't alternatives offering far greater range.

But I get it. It was all part of Toyota's plan to take large amounts of money from buyers while giving them a car that was only ever an experiment. They deliberately made it crap because that's a clever thing to do.

Would I be right in thinking that Ford was doing much the same four-dimensional strategic thinking with the Edsel?

Only offering low-capacity batteries, in an expensive car, with slow charging, however, is no longer common practice. Because - and perhaps this was the finding of the "experiment" Lexus charged people through the nose for taking part in - people don't want that.

And I think those notions are that the public wants either an ICE hybrid or a FCEV.

There's an interesting article in the Australian press this week about Toyota Australia's boss losing his s--t in a press conference when all the media questions were about why Toyota's BEVs are such a disaster.

Toyota: We've been reducing CO2 since before it was 'trendy' | CarExpert

#108 hkmb, Oct 16, 2022
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2022
  9. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    BM, is that you?:)

While hybrids can reduce emissions, it sounds like Toyota was selling more of the their old, dirty, less efficient ICE models in Australia, as they did in the US. Yeah, hybrids can be part of the solution, but not if they aren't available. We get it, you're a business, and need to show profit, so couldn't rush in with hybrids. Fine, you can't point to hybrids when called out on your BEV efforts, when you weren't quick with hybrids either then.

Toyota is fine with BEVs. As long as they are short range. Research* shows that is all people want.

*From the EV1 era or earlier when most BEVs were running lead acid. Maybe some got NiMH.

10. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    People did want that, as sales confirmed.

3 years later... just like any other mid-cycle update... the vehicle will get some improvements, including a range increase.

11. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That effortless charm and style can shine through any number of aliases.

Yes, but even more so. And not just Toyota - everyone sells their old polluting rubbish here. The new(ish) government is in the process of bringing in some emissions regulations, which might, slowly, change the situation.

The phrase "a faster horse" springs to mind....

@john1701a probably has the inside track on this, but I've heard rumours Toyota is considering moving up to old lead-acid batteries from a scrapyard for its next generation of EVs. If they completely fill the engine bay and the trunk with them, they can offer a range of up to 15 miles. None of the other big car makers have even thought of this. Toyota's ingenious out-of-the-box thinking knows no limits. Think of the data they could gather by selling such cars somewhere in the $90-110,000 range.

bwilson4web likes this.
  12. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Don't forget that you can buy the car but must lease the batteries. That way you can pull a "GM" and kill their electric cars.

Bob Wilson

13. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Where?
    Looks like Toyota/Lexus sales are buried in the other segment
    European sales 2021 Electric Vehicles - carsalesbase.com
    2021 (Full Year) Europe: Best-Selling Electric Car Models and Brands - Car Sales Statistics

2022 isn't looking any better for Toyota plug in sales
    [​IMG]
    EV-Volumes - The Electric Vehicle World Sales Database

They could no longer be bothered to build cars there anymore. I think Scion was more about selling older technology engines and transmissions than to the youth.

From the comments I gather Australia doesn't have a fleet rating like CAFE in the US.

bwilson4web likes this.
  14. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Putting aside the Toyota discussion (it took me a while to scroll down and find them, but I'm sure this is all part of their ingenious plan), this is a really interesting graph. Thank you for posting it.

It's interesting because it's so wildly different to what we see in Australia. The only Chinese-company (as opposed to Chinese-built but foreign-branded) BEVs we see in Australia are BYD (whose sales only started here last month) and SAIC. And Geely/Volvo/Polestar, I suppose.

We see no GM or Ford BEVs at all, and nothing from Stellantis (although they're supposed to be coming next year). From R-N-M, we get Mitsubishi PHEVs, but no BEVs other than a limited supply of Leafs (but again, we may be getting some Renaults and the Nissan Ariya next year). And there are almost no VW Group BEVs, other than the Taycan if that counts and the E-tron.

So our list would be very different. From what I notice on the street, our ranking would be:

- Tesla
    - Hyundai-Kia
    - Geely-Volvo-Polestar
    - SAIC
    - Porsche
    - Tata-JLR
    - BYD (I've seen three so far, but they've been on the market for less than a month)

And I think that would be the full list.

----

With the exception of BYD, it's interesting to see in that global sales graph just how little concentration there is among the Chinese manufacturers: there's a lot of companies - EV start-ups and legacy converts - there building moderate numbers of cars, but only BYD sits above the leading American, European and Korean manufacturers.

And when you consider that Renault probably accounts for at least half of the R-N-M sales (the Zoe and Kangoo EVs sell very well in Europe), it's interesting how low the Japanese companies rank. Not just Toyota - Honda are at the bottom of the list, and Suzuki, Subaru and Mazda languish in "others".

#114 hkmb, Oct 17, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2022
  15. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, that's right.

That's what is likely to change in the next few months. The intention is to force companies like VW, Renault and Ford to start selling their EVs here.

----

There's an interesting article on the EU's version of CAFE here. It's from when Rory Reid had to do to-camera pieces when he couldn't test-drive cars during lockdown.

The EU regs are so full of loopholes that they are probably where they get the recycled fishing nets for the interiors of Polestars. In particular, the fact that companies can trade (so Alfa can buy credits from Tesla and continue building its thirsty cars with impunity) make it as good as meaningless. I don't know how the US rules compare.

16. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The only Chinese companies in the US are Volvo, BYD, and Kandi. BYD sells buses, but might not currently sell a car here. The past one didn't sell well. And Kandi, is only selling low speed models.

Honda is one of the big believers in hydrogen with Toyota and Hyundai. It was lease only, but the first gen Clarity was available years before the Mirai. Suzuki doesn't sell any cars in the US anymore. They, with Subaru and Mazda, might be too small to make the switch on their own. Mazda has said it was their size that was the issue for even hybrids; it was develop the SkyActiv suite or hybrids, and hybrids only go so far without efficient engines. They went to Toyota for hybrid help before Toyota got a big stake in them. It is pretty much the same with Subaru, Toyota, and hybrids. Though I think Subaru started on an EV platform on their own, but it got co-opted by Toyota.

CAFE, and the CARB ZEV credits, are basically the same to the EU's in regard to credit trading. Also the loopholes. In its later years, Ford's Crown Victoria was 'foreign' built car. This was so its poor economy would be counted in the CAFE import fleet, which was mostly small, fuel efficient models, instead of the domestic fleet with the other, larger, lower efficiency models. I wouldn't say meaningless, as it got somebody to other fuel efficient models here.

hkmb likes this.
  17. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I refuse to buy a car that won't allow me to operate some of its features while the car is in motion. Last time I checked that's what cars do, they're in motion. And I refuse to let someone else dictate when it is safe for me to do something. I'm an adult and I expect to be treated like one. The days of answering to a parent or long gone and I refuse to revert back

18. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Interesting position, and one I understand.
    However, how are auto companies supposed to deal with lawsuits claiming they we’re negligent because they allow people to do unsafe things. For example, allowing videos to be played while the car is in drive?

I’m also a firm believer in personal responsibility as well as The Darwin Awards. But lawyers are doing their best to convince prospective clients that it is always someone else’s fault.

Trollbait likes this.
  19. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Does a radio in the car. That drowns out The sound of sirens. That should be taken out of the car. And your cell phone should not permit you to talk on it while you're in the car. And Prius shouldn't allow you to adjust the control on a touch screen while driving. In fact you shouldn't be allowed to adjust the climate control while driving. You shouldn't be able to low allowed to move the seat. And you shouldn't be allowed to move the mirrors. These are all distractions. None of this should be allowed. In fact you should have a wall around you as a driver preventing you from talking to your passengers. We can make this wall out of thick soundproof glass sit at they cannot distract you.

Toyota was trying to lease the remote start service to the purchaser of the car until people revolted. You might accept living in a nanny state but I do not.

20. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't understand what this is in response to. Am I missing something that the UX300e doesn't let you do.