1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Lexus EV conspiracy theories

Discussion in 'EV (Electric Vehicle) Discussion' started by hkmb, Sep 6, 2021.

1. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Do you not have Polestar? They're doing OK in terms of sales in Australia.

I tried a Polestar 2, but it was too small for my family. And the Polestar 3 looks like it's going to be hilariously expensive.

Was the car they sold in the past the e6? They've come on a long way since then. I've been in a few e6 taxis in Shenzhen, and they were OK, but rather joyless.

The Atto 3 (called the Yuan Plus in China) was recently launched in Australia, and I'm seeing more and more on the road this week. It's a smallish crossover, and it's pretty good. Given that other companies have such huge waiting lists, I'm considering waiting for the BYD Sea Lion medium SUV which should be arriving next year. I think it might actually be a very nice car.

On the bus front, I've heard BYD are probably going to close their California bus factory because of the new US EV policy.

It's just weird. It was a nice idea when Honda brought out the Clarity, but it's clear now that FCEVs are just too inefficient.

Mirai is a good name for a FCEV car, because, like cold fusion, they're always somewhere in the future: mass-market FCEVs have been five years away for a good 25 years now.

They're still popular here. But everything they sell is small: the Ignis is absolutely tiny, and the biggest car they have is the Vitara, which is a small SUV. So I doubt they'd be popular in the US.

Thanks for that. It's interesting to hear.

I agree it's not entirely meaningless - what's happened in Australia without such rules shows what the rules can achieve. I just think the inter-company trading is a bit ridiculous.

I didn't know that about the Crown Vic. It is the stereotypical American car in the eyes of us foreigners.

2. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The only thing I've seen a car disallow while in motion, that you might want to actually do then, is put addresses into the navigation. This takes far more concentration and attention away from the road than the activities on your list.

Many jurisdictions have no texting laws. Without lock outs while the car is in motion for some features, those features may end up being banned.

A few people remain functional enough while over alcohol blood limits to safely drive. We should get rid of those DUI laws for to not hinder them. They are adults, and can make their own decisions.

We do, and I've seen at least one. They share a lot of styling, looks like they have the same headlights, so I lump them with Volvo.

It was available up through 2020. All I know about it was that it was a truly inefficient EV. Its combine EPA rating was a little better than Ford's Lightning, but you got over 40 miles more range, 4WD, and a big nice person truck with the Lightning. The UX300e looks like an upgrade over the e6.
    Their little trucks were once popular, and GM rebadged one or two of the cars to cover their lack there. The US was never a big market for them, so they just faded away. Heard good things about their midsize sedan that was available at the end.

Mitsubishi nearly went the same way. They were saved by the Mirage until the new Outlander, with PHEV, arrived. Which they had been delaying because their sales are better elsewhere.
    It's just cap and trade that has been used other emissions at power plants and other industries. That has helped. Maybe not as well as stricter regulations, but those elicit a harder fight from industry to keep them from passing.

At one time, virtually every police cruiser and taxi in the US was a Crown Vic.

The industry and observers was expecting the foreign and domestic distinction for cars to be done away with the last time CAFE was revamped. Didn't happen. There was probably other fall out, but I know it changed GM's plans on taking the Spark EV nationwide. If couldn't help GM's car CAFE, the cost of roll out couldn't be justified. It might have sped up the Bolt program on the other hand.

hkmb likes this.
  3. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow. I had no idea that this was the case in some jurisdictions. That's extraordinary.

Yes, I've heard it was very inefficient. When it first came out in 2009, it was OK, but it was left far behind by technological developments. The new BYDs, though, seem to be very good.

They're sold separately and they position themselves like Tesla here, with "experience centres" and direct online sales, while Volvo still follows the traditional dealership model.

But yes, they're really similar - they all look like Volvos, inside and outside. The Polestar 2 is on the same platform as the Volvo XC40.

Ah, yes, the Kizashi. It got great reviews here, but was a total sales flop. I can't remember when I last saw one.

Yes. We saw them in chases in all the movies and TV shows. All foreign kids grew up assuming that either your police couldn't drive or your police cars didn't handle.

That's really interesting. Thanks.

4. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    You cannot operate the navigation while the car is in motion. I'll be damned if somebody's going to tell me what I can and can not operate

5. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Should I hand you a beer?

bwilson4web likes this.
  6. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What, you can't take your eyes off the road and type on a screen while driving at 70mph?????????

That's the nanny state gone mad!!!!!! Next they'll be telling me I can't drink more than one bottle of vodka at a time while I'm driving!!!!! Or telling me which side of the road to drive on!!!!!! I didn't fight in two world wars to be subjected to this sort of Nazism!!!!!!!

etc

-----

More seriously, doesn't the nav have voice activation? If it doesn't, that seems like an extraordinary oversight. In my car, all I have to do is press the voice button, and then say "Take me to [address]", and it finds the route and off we go. I can certainly do that on the move.

I know that in the UK and Australia there were versions of this car that were launched without satnav. In a Lexus "luxury" car.

If even the versions that do have satnav don't have voice activation, then it's another sign of what an absolute bunch of arse this car is. It would, as an EV and as a car, be a bit behind the curve in 2012.

I remain mystified as to why Lexus are doing this. But I am sure that @john1701a will be able to tell us that it is all part of a cunning plan, perhaps gathering data on the mute demographic or something.

#126 hkmb, Oct 19, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2022
  7. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    NO. HE CAN REACH ROUND INTO THE THE BOX ON THE BACK SEAT HIMSELF WHILE HE DRIVES.

Handing him a beer so he doesn't have to take his eyes off the road.... Are you some sort of nanny? I am disgusted.

8. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I used to wonder if driving with a brown paper bag in one hand was mandatory in Texas. I no longer wonder.

Bob Wilson

douglasjre likes this.
  9. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Do you use the radio in your car?

#129 douglasjre, Oct 21, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2022
  10. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Degrees of distraction is a thing.

The last three cars I've owned all had radio controls on the steering wheel. Never seen that for navigation. Some cars have voice control. I can't say how prevalent that is or even if if mine do. Don't really care on speaking.

The car makers have valid concerns for not allowing drivers to use nav by the screen. If that's your hill, you'll die on it. Name a brand that doesn't do this.

If pulling over, or using alternative controls is too much of a bother, then get an aftermarket nav unit, or use your phone like everybody else.

11. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I listen to it.

Are you suggesting that I'm doing it wrong and that I should be watching the radio?

12. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I think you're dangerous using your radio while driving because it's a distraction. And you can't hear sirens or alarms outside of your car because of your radio. I think your radio is more dangerous than my navigation. I don't think you should be allowed to operate or listen to your radio while you drive

13. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Cool!

The more I read, the more I think you shouldn't be driving under any circumstances.

14. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    At least that's illegal in Texas. Mississippi? You don't even have to have it in a brown bag. Seems I recall driving through what looked like one of their several coffee kiosks .... only they were serving margaritas - not coffee. Nice.
    When we had our model X - all you would have to do is say, "play Frank Sinatra" or "Alice in chains" - or Beethoven, or a genre like blues or jazz & it would play it. No fiddling with the dial necessary.

#134 hill, Oct 22, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2022
    Tideland Prius and bwilson4web like this.
  15. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    You think it's more dangerous.

Now, how about citing some research to prove what you think is more dangerous actually is.

I'll start.
    "...taking your eyes off the road for more than two seconds doubles your risk of a crash.."
    https://exchange.aaa.com/safety/distracted-driving/the-risks-of-distracted-driving/

"The longest task interaction times were associated with navigation, which took an average of approximately 40 seconds to complete." The radio use in the study took about half as long.
    " Of the four task types evaluated, audio entertainment and calling and dialing were the easiest to perform and they did not significantly differ in overall demand. Text messaging was significantly more demanding than audio entertainment and calling and dialing. The navigation task type was significantly more demanding than any of the other task types that were evaluated."
    https://aaafoundation.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/VisualandCognitive.pdf

So maybe the automakers are taking this study and others into consideration when they lock out features while the car is in motion. Then they might be considering that you, the driver, are willing to live with the consequences of your using such features while driving, but 20% of distracted driving fatalities are people that were outside of the car.
    Distracted Driving | Transportation Safety | Injury Center | CDC

Now, they do treat us as adults in not disabling all features not necessary to driving, or by blocking cell phones in the cabin.

16. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    our cars are 5 years old or more. In other words not the latest and greatest generation. They both can find an address by simply saying "navigate to" (one car) or "find address" (other car) with audible warnings as your turn approaches. Sure beats 3 decades ago when you might see someone with a map spread over their steering wheel - blocking part of the windshield as they drove down the road - looking at it, & all the approaching street names.

Tideland Prius likes this.
  17. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    This block user feature is my fav :)

18. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    My approach:
    • Ignore user - like turning up squelch on a CB radio
    • Wait 30 days to silently review to see if they post more content than noise.
    • Wait 90 days to sample their posts.
    • Annual review of the noise posters.
    Some noise posters are ‘fed’ by critical response posts. But ‘ignore user’ keeps you from feeding the Troll. Of course sometimes Trolls can be the butt of a humorous reply … too dense to realize it.

Bob Wilson

douglasjre likes this.
  19. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Unfortunately we don't have that option with road users.

Still, the police do, so that's good.

20. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes. I think these voice-based systems are brilliant. They make life so much easier, and they clearly do contribute to safety.

I'm in a rental car this week - an MG HS - and it doesn't have voice-activated nav. You have to type the address in. I stop every time I need to program it: there is absolutely no way I'd try to do it while driving. That would be insane.

Zythryn likes this.