1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Lexus exploring PHEV, full EV and fuel cell versions of LS flagship

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Tideland Prius, Apr 16, 2018.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Walking away shaking my head. Maybe @bisco can get mizzies bisco into one.

Bob Wilson

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i wasn't really interested in this thread (or lexus) let me start at the beginning and catch up...

oh my, that was a waste of my time. good thing it isn't worth anything.

#42 bisco, Apr 19, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
  3. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Time well spent for me. Reading about those with engineering backgrounds try to figure out business decisions is very informative.

4. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Lexus LS Sales Figures | GCBC
    Tesla Model S Sales Figures | GCBC
    Toyota Mirai Sales Figures | GCBC

From someone that has both a lot of marketing experience and a engineering degree, one only has to look at 3 sales charts to see why the LS may need to add a plug.

Tesla sold roughly 29K model S cars in each of 2016 and 2017 in the US, the car has been out a long time and would be due for a redesign but engineering and manufacturing resources are needed elsewhere.

The lexus LS sold 36K in 2007 but had fallen to 4134 in north america (canada and US) last year. I expect a small recovery in lexus LS sales this year as they have replaced the v8 with a higher torque turbo v6 that produces better fuel economy and more satisfying acceleration. They won't climb up nearly to tesla numbers unless they add a plug (phev would be my choice but they need a more powerful battery than the prime). That idea that making it a fuel cell just is kind of advertising fodder, and it won't work outside of japan. The mirai with all that money poured into had trouble leasing less than 2K vehicles in north america last year, no one outside of friends of toyota will buy it in more expensive Lexus LS skin.

The hybrid dropped the v8 down to the normally aspirated v6. It gets 5 more mpg than the turbo 6, but still its not good fuel economy. It loses 60 hp and adds weight, I don't see more than low double digits of people paying for it. Bmw 7 series phev is sort of a pig, but sells better. Do that right, maybe 12 kwh of battery, rwd ima, with a motor upfront for electric awd and regen braking and it might sell.
    Compare Side-by-Side

#44 austingreen, Apr 20, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2018