1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Lexus GS 450Hybrid

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by Speedracer, Mar 23, 2005.

1. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    38 mpg in a 255 hp vehicle isn't a step toward fuel economy?

That's better than a 80 hp Geo Metro!

This is what I don't understand: Why are economy & power bad words when they are put together?

Would you rather Toyota continue making vehicles designed like the Prius and making a 350 hp sedan that gets 12-15 mpg? My point is that just because they might make more cars designed with efficiency in mind first doesn't mean that they're going to stop producing cars for the sports sedan segment. So if those cars are going to be made, would you rather have them stick with the status quo or progress forward using HSD technology?

"Toyota - Moving Us All Forward, even those Luxary Sports Sedan lovers."

2. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(finman\";p=\"75791)</div>
    The readers of this forum are not a representative cross-section of America. Most people are blissfully unaware of the looming catastrophe that is Peak Oil. Our elected officials are either in denial, or ignorant too. I love this quote from James Kunstler:

The time will come when a younger generation says, "Look what you a**holes did to our world -- now crawl off and die."

I imagine that those cars are FAR more profitable per unit to Toyota, just like SUVs. They might makes 10x more profit selling a GS450 than they do selling a Corolla.

3. bookrats

bookrats New Member

I guess the problem I have with this POV, Lew (if I'm reading you right), is that it could be turned on its head:

Someone could be saying that anything less than a Honda Insight -- or an electric car -- or a bicycle -- isn't serious about trying to help the environment.

The Prius definitely would almost certainly use less resources, and be less harmful to the environment, than the Lexus GS 450 Hybrid -- or the Honda Acura Hybrid.

But could I be helping the environment even more through changing to one of the three vehicles above? Without a doubt. Does that mean that I'm not serious about wanting to help protect the environment, since I'm driving a Prius?

Well, to some degree, yes. Unfortunately, the three examples I've provided above don't meet the needs of my lifestyle. I could scrimp and sacrifice, and get by with all three; but it wouldn't be easy in some cases, and for other people it would be impossible.

[hr:abccebb1d3]

If we're talking "druthers", then I'm with you -- I "druther" not have a high-performance (but less efficient/higher emission) hybrid, and instead opt for the Prius.

But everyone's not me. (A fact we should all be devestatingly grateful for.)

4. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Why do we look down on the hybrid Accord? in reality.. we don't... we just don't like the direction Honda is taking their system. Emissions were not really improved... so.. pollution basically stayed the same as the previous model..... What's enviromental about this? oh right.. it's promoting a form of Hybrids and provides competition... both needed for hybrids to susceed in the long run.

Danny:.. if you go to the lexus webpage.. the current GS is rated in the 20's i believe.

Quote off Lexus.com:

GS 430:

- 4.3-liter (262 cubic inch), four-cam, four valves per cylinder 90° V8 engine. Certified Ultra-Low Emission Vehicle (U-LEV)
    - 300 hp @ 5,600 rpm, 325 lb-ft torque @ 3,400 rpm
    - Continuously Variable Valve Timing with intelligence (VVT-i) on intake valves
    - 0 to 60 in 5.7 seconds [1]
    - Top track speed: 149 mph (electronically limited) [1]
    - Aerodynamic drag coefficient: 0.27
    - Six-speed sequential-shift automatic Electronically Controlled Transmission with intelligence (ECT-i)
    - Rear-wheel drive with standard Vehicle Dynamics Integrated Management (VDIM) [2]
    - Estimated fuel consumption: 18/25 mpg city/highway [3]

GS 300:

- 3.0-liter (183 cubic inch), four-cam, four valves per cylinder 60° direct injection V6 engine. Certified Ultra-Low Emission Vehicle (U-LEV)
    - 245 hp @ 6,200 rpm, 230 lb-ft torque @ 3,600 rpm
    - Dual Continuously Variable Valve Timing with intelligence (VVT-i)
    - 0 to 60 in 6.8 seconds (RWD) [1], 6.9 seconds (AWD) [1]
    - Top track speed: 143 mph (RWD) [1], 130 mph (AWD) [1] (electronically limited)
    - Aerodynamic drag coefficient: 0.27
    - Six-speed sequential-shift automatic Electronically Controlled Transmission with intelligence (ECT-i)
    - Rear-wheel drive with standard Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) [6] (GS 300 RWD)
    - Full-time all-wheel drive, with standard Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) [6] (GS 300 AWD)
    - Estimated fuel consumption: 22/30 mpg city/highway (RWD) [3], 21/27 mpg city/highway (AWD) [3]

So.. the hybrid will perform like the current 430.. get better gas mileage (compairable to 300)... and pollute less. Sounds like a decent introduction to the luxury market.... oh yeah.. an upgrade on an engine is probably compairable to the cost of a hybrid upgrade.... Didn't they mention all options will become standard on the hybrid?

5. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm going to have to agree with some of Lew's points. I could see myself in the market in another couple of years for a hybrid sienna - however I would prefer one that is more geared toward economy than performance. Why? Because as configured, our Prius performs well enough for my needs and the economy lately has been phenominal compared to the other choices on the market.

I believe what I'm asking for is for Toyota to consider other choices on the economy side *in addition to* the choices they're providing on the performance end. There's a market segment on both sides that, as gas prices soar, is going to be harder and harder to ignore. The platforms already exist in Japan - it shouldn't be too hard to put the controls on the other side and apply some US-DOT compliance to bring it over here.

For those that are touting freedoms - they're great until said freedoms start to impose upon the world around us. For instance, when we run out of oil and our climate has warmed significantly enough to cause undesirable global changes, they've gone too far.

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Is odd though that Honda didn't snap on the IMA to their i-VTEC 4 cylinder engine and touted "V6 power with frugal fuel economy). I'm sure it's because, unlike Camry buyers, there are probably more V6 Accord buyers. We know Honda customers tend to be on the racy side and no way will they be seen in a 4 cylinder car.

Note that Toyota can use a smaller engine, reduce output and then snap on HSD and have a higher combined output than Honda and it's IMA which snaps on 10hp. So Toyota definitely has fuel economy and emissions in mind.

Like a few of you have mentioned, luxury car buyers will buy luxury cars since it's their status and they have to maintain that. To reach out to them with the GS450h is step towards that since they're the one with the money and if they spend less on fuel, the better.

7. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It is in the news yesterday that Toyota (Lexus' parent company) is considering converting the whole brand to hybrid following the same strategy that are heading with RX400h and GS450h. They are closely watching the sales of those two vehicles to make decision.

IMHO, automakers are trying to test other markets for using hybrid technology (Honda's or Toyota's o else) to make profit (near or future). Along the way you will see mistakes and success. In fact, many of my friends, me included, are waiting for hybrid Odessey or Sienna to appear. Our 2001 Odessey performs well but at only 17mpg. It would be nice if our next minivan could do 25-30mpg.

Imagine if a MB-E430 or BMW545 owner decide to switch to Lexus GS450h. The person could save gas from 17-18mpg to 25-30mpg w/o sacrificing his enjoyment of power and handling. That would benefit the world also.

8. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well i also have to say Toyota is doing the right thing with a high performance hybrid.

they are well aware of the testosterone-driven addiction we americans have towards performance. selling 50,000 of these vehicles in the next few years will yield a savings of a few hundred gallons of gas per vehicle since all those purchasers simply would have bought a similiarly equiped vehicle from someone else. so now they have fulfilled a need, a need that would be there no matter what, and have save us a million gallons of gas.

ya, million gallons of gas, thats a drop on the side of the bucket. but that is more gas than you and everyone you know will use in a lifetime.

9. V8Cobrakid

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ceric\";p=\"76069)</div>
    Does Lexus even match the sport ride of BMWs suspension design or Mercedes body control?

10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Depends. Depends whether you want all out performance or a performance car that can be an everyday car.

11. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    One last thought -

Anyone else think that with Lexus' higher profit margins, perhaps they are being used as a "proving ground" for the future integration of HSD into the normal Toyota lineup?

For instance, using the Lexus GS to test the RW HSD that will eventually be implemented in the Tundra (as pointed out by others in this thread)? What I'm saying is that instead of shoving the HSD into a Sienna, arguably Toyota's #2 vehicle, and having the possibility of it failing in the hands of millions of owners, they are instead placing it in a not-so-high-profile car in order to further test and guage public reaction without having a catastrophe on theirs hands.

Prius owners have felt like Beta testers for years.

12. LewLasher

LewLasher Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    If they don't do their testing before putting a $50,000+ car on the market, they will definitely have a public relations catastrophe on their hands.

13. V8Cobrakid

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    they will do their testing.. Danny is relating to public opinion and acceptance. I'm sure toyota already knows their system will work. How will the car perform with this system though? that's the test. Shiftless acceleration could possibly be a lot better in many ways. performance and safety.

14. eak354

eak354 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I just came from the Hawaiian International Autoshow and the new GS400/430 is awesome! it has the push button start like the prius, SKS, and a MFD quite similar to the prius, except that it wasnt a hybrid. ;) i guess all they need to do is slap in the HSD and they're set!

15. senna4ever

senna4ever New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Wow...looks like my next new car.

16. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I own a BMW540iA V8 since 1998. Please go fetch a new copy of the Car & Drive to see if Japanese sports sedans can match BMW & MB. There is a $55K comparison test. BMW and MB are not the front runners anymore. A few years ago, you may be correct. Now, I am not so sure...