1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Lexus, introducing the CT200 says hybrids don't have to be "flowery," and they can be fast & sporty

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Rybold, Sep 12, 2010.

1. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: Lexus, introducing the CT200 says hybrids don't have to be "flowery," and they can be fast & spo

I would be very surprised the plasic causes any meansurable mpg benefit. I doubt Lexus will ever use wheel covers like that. Wheels can be designed in an aero fashion. The Lexus with all of its changes does suffer a .29 cd compared to the prius .25.

My gps records aggressive stops and acceleration. Most of the time when I floor the pedal it won't record a thing. So much for kicking a, unless its a old metro or a leaf. The Lexus sounds like it is adding the components for better handling. We won't know if it works until we get the chance to drive it.

Badges, we don't need no stinking badges. If they actually lexify it, the seat will be much more supportive and comfortable, the road noises will be quieter, the interior better designed with better materials and technology. I rated the hs250 as a fail, they didn't really give it the Lexus treatment. A good portion of the prius drivers would value these changes. You should be able to hyper mile the new lex to close to prius mileage levels, but most people that buy the car won't.

2. teeasal

teeasal New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Re: Lexus, introducing the CT200 says hybrids don't have to be "flowery," and they can be fast & spo

Have you tried gunning it in PWR mode? It makes a big difference. I know everybody's saying it gives out max power in all modes if you floor it. But with my few months of experiments and experiences in using the PWR mode, I often kick asses and reach the desired speed without even the need to "floor" it.

It feels like the PWR mode gives max power from the MGs from the get go, and increases the ICE power as you further step on it; as opposed to "flooring" it in standard/ECO modes, where there's very little power from the MGs, and the ICE starts to groan and vibrate right away straining and struggling to meet your power demands.

Ok, I'm just kicking asses of the metros, the accents and the aveos, but believe it or not, also the corrolas, the civics and even the mazda zoom zoom zooms. I also matches most of the lux sports sedans like the Acuras, Lexus and BMWs, but not the biggest baddest asses like the 'vettes and 'tangs and porsches.

Hey, that's not a small feat for a car commonly seen as "gay" or "girly".

3. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid

Good point. Engines build horsepower as they increase in rpm. Electric motors are the opposite. Picturing in your head a graph, the two are inversely related and if implemented together should provide great power throughout the rpm spectrum. Nice :)

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Indeed. DI would be nice.

That sub's probably part of the ML audio system.
    I highly doubt it. Is that not the concept car's interior?

Also, the hatch is deeper than I expected. Still, it looks like 14 cu ft including the air above.

Thanks Ken!

5. Mr. Nelsby

Mr. Nelsby New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

So I'm confused, why are the European numbers for the gas consumption closer to 60mpg?

"Finally, European fuel consumption cycle figures are cited as 3.8 liters per 100 kilometers in the Combined city/highway cycle, 3.7 l/100 km in the Extra Urban (highway) cycle and 3.9 l/100 km in the Urban (city) cycle. Those figures can be easily converted to either U.S. or U.K. (Imperial) miles per gallon ratings via the ultra-handy Mark Porthouse Fuel Consumption Conversion Calculator"

6. teeasal

teeasal New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Right, but this happens only in PWR mode. Looks like the Toyota engineers tune down the power output for the MGs in standard and ECO modes so you rely more on the ICE power. It might be better for FE but your nice person got kicked by everybody, sometimes literally by tailgators rear-ending you.

I've been posting to suggest Toyota make a change to let the PWR mode button to be "sticky" like the ECO button does (that's to stay activated even if you power off and then power back on the car). I wonder if they'll make this "Sports" mode of the Lexus CT200 sticky? If not, they're just kidding themselves hoping the potential customers of a (supposed to be) sporty car accepting the lame responses of the standard and ECO modes as default.

7. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A

yes. I do think PWR mode reacts faster. "They" may be right about it being the same when floored, but subjectively if I'm going 10mph then step on it to accelerate on a short on ramp, the power seems to come on faster. I wish I could lock in the econ mode for the ac, and leave it on PWR for the drivetrain.

Hey don't get mad, I just have a different idea of rapid acceleration than you. You can probably kick those corollas and civics around too, especially from 0-30. Acceleration is week compared to the Lexus I had before, but that was a 300hp car. The prius does feel like its accelerating faster than it is relative to the lex though, but mainly because of the noises. This relative feeling has me driving slower than I would in my last car, which is not an altogether bad thing.

Before I bought the prius, I was at a party and someone did mention it was a gay car. That person advocating a veedub diesel. Everyone else thought the vw was more gay;-) The prius accelerates fine, but it falls short of that really fun to drive acceleration and handling.

8. mmichaell

mmichaell Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

How is the Lexus CT200h "faster" if it has the same acceleration as a Prius? How is that any more attractive to anyone but a Prius driver?

9. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Each country does their own testing.... Canadian numbers are 3.7/4.0. Using the old EPA, you probably would've seen similar numbers... the new EPA is stricter and a little more realistic to the average driver.

10. teeasal

teeasal New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

I kinda fake the ac control of ECO mode by setting the temp 1/2 degree C below outside temp, and adjust the air vents directly to my face. Felt comfortable enough and seemed to affect FE minimumly. Ok, it was just 28-30C in Canada's summer, so if your area is really hot then to bad!

No bad feelings here. I understand my standard of "kick-nice person" could be much lower than others but, hey, as long as I'm happy, I'm happy. After driving a Caravan for 10 years, the Prius in PWR mode does feel like a sporty car to me.

Have you read this thread http://priuschat.com/forums/freds-house-pancakes/84552-video-prius-gay.html ? It was fun!

11. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A

1 person likes this.
  12. teeasal

teeasal New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

You're right, it's not just how the car looks, but how it was driven.

Maybe Toyota makes the Lexus CT200 look meaner even at a sacrifice of drag coefficient just to avoid this "gay" label? But if they don't make it default to PWR mode, then all bets are off.

1 person likes this.
  13. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid

I stand in a walk in freezer for fifteen minutes before I drive, then I keep the windows up for excellent arrow dynamics and FE. :D

(the truth is that I almost always have the driver's window cracked a few inches and the fan on my face (If I'm not on the highway, the driver's window is all the way down). If FE is a big concern of mine on a given day (gas needle on empty) the windows will definitely be all the way up. No AC, but fan on my face)

I think BMI (body mass index) affects it a lot too. The people I work with that are heavier always complain that it's too warm in the lab or office and the people that are skinnier complain that it's too cold in the lab or office. If I never turn my AC on, you can figure out which type I am. I don't really get cold or hot though. My body adapts easily.

Very true. I don't exactly consider a Prius zipping by me in the left lane as flowery or nerdy. So, you're right. How the person drives can make a big difference on others' perception of the vehicle.

14. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

2011 CR guide saying it will start ~ $30k. Lexus says about $29k. probably go up to 34 or 5.

Outa my range. wouldn't be able to see driving it anyway, nor be willing to climb down or up out of it. Can get thrills for less in a Mazda3 five door or big thrills 260HP/260 lb ft. in a Speed 3... but they're not hybrids.

Might be a slim market here 'cause Americanos don't seem to buy into the Matrix / Mazda3 hatch / Impreza Outback / Elantra Touring type formats too much. That CT size for $30+ large .... some will get it.

15. Airbalancer

Airbalancer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

We paid more then that for our Prius in Canada

16. 1SMUGLEX

1SMUGLEX I love the smug!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

This could not be further from the truth. THe CSX is literally a Civic rebadge with Acura emblems and different headlights. Its the same thing.

The CT is designed by a true Tier 1 company. Its no re badge.

The CT seems to be a highly modified existing platform.
    The exterior is original to Lexus.
    The interior is original to Lexus
    The gauges are original to the CT and switch depending on mode like a LFA.
    It is offering LED headlights and more LEDs than any other Lexus.
    A worlds first bamboo trim. B
    amboo speakers to save weight.
    Remote Touch is a Lexus feature
    etc etc etc

This is no rebadge. Does it share the Prius drivetrain. Yes just like every other company shares drive trains with one another.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That is not the concept interior. Details on vague on F-sport parts thus far.:)

Its clear that Lexus did sacrifice some CD for a more aggressive look.

Fact of the day.:) The base Mercedes E class coupe with the tiny thin 215 or so tires offered in Europe has the lowest CD of any car, .24. :eek::eek::eek:

17. jburns

jburns Senior Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

They are probably in cruise control and don't know you're racing them.

18. 4540flossy

4540flossy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I don't think anybody else has mentioned the fact that this car is absolutely hideous! The interior is really nice with some great trim and colour choices with a really prestige look and finish (judging from the photos) but the outside? There are clashing styling elements all over the place veering from bland to fussy (the rear 3/4 view is awful, the front and rear dead-on are plain dull) with the styling problem often seen on Japanese cars of large overhangs and wheel openings with small-looking rims. I love my Prius for it's crisp modern and efficient styling SO can I have the Lexus interior with the Prius exterior please?!

19. Airbalancer

Airbalancer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Will the top speed be 220 km/hr

20. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Now you got me intrigued... lol.