1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Lexus LC500h unveiled at Geneve March 2016

Discussion in 'Lexus Hybrids and EVs' started by telmo744, Feb 15, 2016.

1. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    LEXUS AT THE 2016 GENEVA MOTOR SHOW

500h?
    A spiced 450h or a new engine/system?

Reading this "The LC 500h is equipped with Lexus’ next generation hybrid powertrain, the Lexus Multi Stage Hybrid System, providing more performance, enhanced driving pleasure and greater efficiency." it is (maybe) something new, as well as the arquitecture, the Lexus TNGA as in "The LC also utilizes Lexus’ new architecture that promises enhanced dynamic capability."

2. Yamamoto2

Yamamoto2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Seems the ICE is similar to GS450h, but as I can see, absolutely new transaxle.
    On the pics I can see two 3-phase plugs for MGs, so I believe it's some type of planetary gear for MGs balancing. But with additional gearbox.

Maybe it's something similar to GM powertrain?
    Global Hybrid Cooperation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It also have 4-gear transaxle with two MGs.

telmo744 likes this.
  3. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

Here we get more info:
    10 dingen die je moet weten over de Lexus LC 500h (2016) | Autofans

This is new system. It combines e-CVT with 4 speed auto for 4 stages (reduction gears). Previous GS450h had 2 gears, unique in Lexus/Toyota world and was a reason it was so expensive (and also so much faster than RX450h).

It is combined with new 60hp max output lion battery.

Overall, speed is astonishing. It is over 1s faster than GS450h in 0-62mph, and it should get 0-60 in 4.5s while being the same weight as GS450h.

They also increased maximum speed for electric-only mode to 85mph, and promise better efficiency overall than before.

So overall, it is much faster than GS450h while getting even better MPG! Cant wait to get GS500h based on same powertrain, it should be pretty awesome. I am not sure of the costs, they could be pretty high and hence we might not ever see it in cheaper cars like RX450h which is already simplified compared to GS450h.

4. Yamamoto2

Yamamoto2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Can't wait to get Prius based on the same powertrain :LOL:
    Seriously, I feel sadness regarding Toyota's 15+ years of HSD stagnation.Toyota could use advantages of HSD (both dynamics and mileage) but they don't want.

LasVegasaurusRex likes this.
  5. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

i dont quite understand... where is the stagnation?

6. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I can't stomach the front grill; really wish they'd get over this kick they're on.

Capture.JPG

Trollbait likes this.
  8. Yamamoto2

Yamamoto2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    HSD can give us both acceleration and mileage due to very high possible gear ratio range. From my point of view, Gen2 Prius used this advantages very well. Comparing over Gen1, it has only 5 ICE hp more and smaller HVB, but higher mileage and much more faster up to 100km/h: 10.9sec vs 12.5.

Obviously, it was due to good HSD optimization. But since Gen3, acceleration advantage start to decrease: it has 134hp, but acceleration is little bit faster: 10.4 vs 10.9. This means that transaxle can't realize all engine possibilities. As for me, it's stagnation. I don't like it.

When Gen2 was released, the most engines of another cars was naturally aspirated. Comparing over NA ICE cars, Gen2 has a pretty high acceleration & mileage and looks like a good deal. But now there are a lot of small-displacement turbo engines which can deliever very good acceleration & mileage
    as well. So I'm considering Gen3&Gen4 loosing their advantages.

Maybe Toyota's strategy was excellent during high gas prices, but at the time traditional HSD system (based only at simple planetary gear) can't give me advantages enough.
    I think that 2-gear-HSD transaxle was right way to improve HSD, but Toyota didn't do this solution on another models.
    So, I think LC500h transaxle is a big step ahead, because it's right way to get all HSD advantages, both acceleration & mileage. I hope Toyota will do the similar solution on compact models.

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow, that looks fantastic. Of course, I would hate to the be one detailing that grille after a highway run with bugs!

Multi-stage hybrid, eh? Toyota's working on something new (new to Toyota. It might be similar to GM or Honda's system, who knows). It does sound a bit different (has a bit of the TS0x0 LeMans electric motor whirl).

Sergiospl likes this.
  10. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  11. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Can't help but expect that the car will weigh a ton for its size (but then I suppose the auto obesity epidemic is an issue everywhere except for the new MX5)

12. GasperG

GasperG Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's expected to weight around 1,800 kg

13. Yamamoto2

Yamamoto2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Cutaway of LC500h transaxle.

[​IMG]

Sergiospl and Tideland Prius like this.
  14. Yamamoto2

Yamamoto2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Two planetary gearsets and 4 clutches (except PSD).
    MG2 with hairpin windings.

15. GasperG

GasperG Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Where do you see clutches? May someone correct me if I'm wrong but this thing should work without any clutch, the PSD (together with MGs) system can work like a torque converter.

Actually this is a perfect torque converter with minimal losses, it doesn't need torque converter lock-up (or is it there?)

16. Yamamoto2

Yamamoto2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    upload_2016-2-24_14-35-58.png

17. GasperG

GasperG Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I thought a normal clutch like in function of decoupling engine from the wheels - there is none.

Clutches and brakes on the picture must be there in order to change gear ratios, like in every other AT.

18. Jeff N

Jeff N The answer is 0042

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    I'm looking forward to reading a real engineering paper on this new design but from what I've seen so far it appears to conceptually be a typical Toyota hybrid transaxle with a final gear ratio that is shiftable among 4 different choices via an automatic transmission instead of having a fixed final gear ratio before the differential gear like in a Prius.

The changeable final gear ratio allows them to optimize the HSD motor usage and rpm speeds. With only a fixed final gear ratio, the HSD design has to be compromised and balanced between launch acceleration, efficiency, and vehicle speed limitations. Adding 4 possible final gear ratios removes some of those needed compromised but takes up more physical transmission space, adds cost and complexity, and adds additional mechanical friction losses. Toyota describes this system as having 8 gears so perhaps they have reprogrammed the HSD behavior to mimic fixed gear shifting because they think drivers in this vehicle class want that.

BMW did something similar with their car that briefly used GM-derived Two-Mode hybrid transmissions a few years ago. The new CT6 hybrid design use a 3rd planetary gear set and extra clutches integrated within the power-split design to achieve 3 fixed gears and apparently 3 e-CVT modes with the gas engine running that accomplish some similar goals as the LC500h design. But at the end of the day, these cars go faster because they have bigger gas engines....

The Lexus has a modestly higher engine output, weighs 400 pounds less, and claims 0-62 in under 5 seconds. The CT6 hybrid claims 0-60 in 5.6 seconds but has a rechargeable battery that gives 37 miles of EV range. I haven't yet compared vehicle size or interior dimensions. I'm curious to see the final EPA hybrid mpg ratings.

#18 Jeff N, Feb 24, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
    Trollbait likes this.
  19. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    They still have the wear and potential failure of the clutch you thought that made not having them in the HSD a Good Thing.

20. Yamamoto2

Yamamoto2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    US07959534-20110614-D00000.png Toyota & Aisin patent for Multi-stage Hybrid System.

I'm not sure it's 100% of LC500h transaxle, but it's very similar. Same 2 planetary gearsets, four brakes/clutches. As in the picture, ring of 1st gearset is connected to 2nd carrier.

But in the patent there is Hi/Lo additional rediction gear. Maybe it was planned for Highlander/Land Cruiser for additional all-road possibilities.

Obviously, there is no fixed gears like in GM transaxle due to ICE has no direct link to the wheels. All "fixed gears" are fictive.

GasperG likes this.